Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Post your Synapse DV config and results

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2012, 05:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the large BOV and i really want to swap to the new smaller DV but 25 pages of trying to figure out how to make it work properly is really making me question it...Can i just order one thats already been tweaked so i can just plug it in and drive?
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Skott2k
I have the large BOV and i really want to swap to the new smaller DV but 25 pages of trying to figure out how to make it work properly is really making me question it...Can i just order one thats already been tweaked so i can just plug it in and drive?
maybe. start with Aby's recommendation and go from there.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wjamyers
I'm testing my AbyAtMil.Spec spring right now.

I had found a happy place with Aby's recommendation with the stock spring (pull mode, a-port only, zero preload) but now I'm working my way through testing preloads in push mode with B port only and 2, 1, and now, 3 turns of preload. I still haven't matched or surpassed the stock spring yet, but still many different configs to try. It's pretty much impossible to make adjustments when the engine is hot with the DV in the stock location in push mode, with the controls on the side under the hot-*** radiator hose right next to the scalding exhaust manifold. In pull mode (controls on top) I can drive, adjust, drive, adjust, all day long.

This weekend I also switched my vacuum hoses to standard (from the leaky quick-release ones) but I'm not completely convinced that the hose is tight enough on the barbed nipple so I may have to go to the autoparts store AGAIN for a slightly smaller hose, just for piece of mind (especially considering the actual hose I used has been sitting in my tool kit for literally 20 years).

Also, on the DV, I switched from cheesy worm clamps to SS t-bolt clamps, to not take chances. I've only got two more worms on the intake system to replace, the 70mm TB and the outlet-to-DV from the ETS UICP, ordered those t-bolts (3" and 1.5") from silicon intakes on Friday. I have almost achieved parts nirvana.
I have achieved parts nirvana and I think it made everything just a little smoother. every last connection is tight and locked down.

I'm in push mode, port a, no preload with Aby's spring and it's very civilized, at least the equal of what I had achieved with the stock spring (pull mode, a-port, zero preload). I will try pull mode with Aby's spring before I stop playing around. The T-bolt clamps are easier to take off and put on.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 02:26 AM

Okay, so I had aps dual vent before this one and now my car feels waaaaaaay faster! I'm assuming my aps had a leak but now I could possibly be over 30 psi and overboosting. Also, if I connect the 1/8 inch tubing. To the bigger sized tubing, could that affect the idle? Because my car seems to want to stall out when I stop. Could this totally throw a tune off? Thanks!
Old Apr 2, 2012, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys with boost level increases after DV install - when you retune/adjust boost lower did you still gain significant power over the previous BOV?

I have a stock 8MR BOV and although the car can still hold a given boost level (using ecu boost and a 3 port) I'm concerned the BOV is causing some power loss.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 12:54 AM

I found that mine is overboosting...at least it feels like it lol mines running poorly right now tho for some reason so i won't know for sure until I get a tune.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 03:43 AM
Evolved Member

I have a mate that picked up ~40kw from a BOV change alone and I don't think it was overboosting much if at all with the new one installed. Just wondering if power gain going to a non leaking BOV is normal I guess.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 06:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by NatesEvoVIII
I found that mine is overboosting...at least it feels like it lol mines running poorly right now tho for some reason so i won't know for sure until I get a tune.
if its holding more boost, then your old dv was leaking. you may need a light retune to account for the effect that your leaking dv had on boost and afr.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by mrfred
if its holding more boost, then your old dv was leaking. you may need a light retune to account for the effect that your leaking dv had on boost and afr.
Yeah that's my plan! I'm installing some parts I got ported and a full ti exhaust and then I'll be ready!
Old Apr 3, 2012, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Picking mine up tomorrow
Old Apr 7, 2012, 02:55 AM
Evolved Member

Mines sitting on my desk at the office. I will install it tomorrow.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Do all of you use thread sealant or teflon tape on the vac line fittings where they screw into ports A&B? Do they seal without the use of anything?
Old Apr 8, 2012, 11:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by EvocentriK
Do all of you use thread sealant or teflon tape on the vac line fittings where they screw into ports A&B? Do they seal without the use of anything?
Use teflon tape.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Ok thanks. I have to say the design of this annoys me. The fact we have to buy extra stuff (ie: teflon tape) to make it work it seems a little ridiculous given its expense.

Installing it today, hope it works ok for me.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Installed and tested. Had no idea the stock 8MR bov was leaking so much. Boost increased over 8psi after 5500rpm, curve was all over the place (expected due to error correction kicking in).

Using port B/pull mode with no preload, definitely slower to come back onto boost (transient response) vs stock. Makes the turbo feel much laggier. On straight road doing power runs it feels ok, but on a tight hills run when you are on and off throttle it feels awful. Why does this happen? Getting a double buck when reapplying throttle too, would hate to have that happen mid corner in wet conditions. No flutter in 1-3, slight flutter in 4th building boost under 3K, can hear it more than feel it.

I will try in push mode tomorrow, hopefully that feels closer to stock in terms of transient response. Hope it still seals as well in push since the boost pressure wont be holding it shut and the spring is softer than the stock bov spring.

Last edited by EvocentriK; Apr 11, 2012 at 09:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Post your Synapse DV config and results