Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Post your Synapse DV config and results

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting the speed density setup all wrapped up. I have not seen anyone run the Synapse DV VTA, we shall see how it works!

Name:  IMG_2922.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  55.7 KB

I need a barb fitting very badly, and the experimental spring would be nice to try also! Thanks!
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:14 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just install mine in today to test it out with SD... Been running a tial and its been great
Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvocentriK
Ok thanks. I have to say the design of this annoys me. The fact we have to buy extra stuff (ie: teflon tape) to make it work it seems a little ridiculous given its expense.

Installing it today, hope it works ok for me.
LOL @ complaining about a 99c roll of teflon tape that you probably bought 3 years ago anyway when you changed the faucet on the kitchen sink cause the wife was nagging. I suppose if you wanted Synapse could coat the fittings in teflon paste and charge an extra $5.

btw....99c < $5 :P

my **** is still running great, b port, push mode, Mil.Spec spring no preload

I also convinced 2 friends of mine, one with a 7 and the other with an 8, to go synapse (Synapse...where is my commission!? j/k) one of them posted above. Both have theirs installed now and have nothing but praise so far.

One in pull mode port b
One in push mode port b

I guess when you go from leaky *** Blitz and Forge DV's to the Synapse you can't help but be impressed.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 02:39 AM

Best diverter valve on the market
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sirnixalot
LOL @ complaining about a 99c roll of teflon tape that you probably bought 3 years ago anyway when you changed the faucet on the kitchen sink cause the wife was nagging. I suppose if you wanted Synapse could coat the fittings in teflon paste and charge an extra $5.

btw....99c < $5 :P

my **** is still running great, b port, push mode, Mil.Spec spring no preload

I also convinced 2 friends of mine, one with a 7 and the other with an 8, to go synapse (Synapse...where is my commission!? j/k) one of them posted above. Both have theirs installed now and have nothing but praise so far.

One in pull mode port b
One in push mode port b

I guess when you go from leaky *** Blitz and Forge DV's to the Synapse you can't help but be impressed.

Yeah that came off harsh. Obviously the expense of a roll of teflon tape doesnt worry me, its the principle of including barbs (which should be the default connectors instead of those dodgy-*** push fitting things) but not including tape to fit them. They put teflon on the push fitting threads but not the barbs.

That said, I fitted mine and boost curve was all over the place. After retuning for it its hugely better than the stock 8MR valve. Spool seems slow though in Pull mode port B, is that normal? Is push port B any better for spool?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

What is the BSP thread size for this DV? I need some barb fittings, and it is definitely not 1/8" pipe thread.
I see on the Synapse website they offer an updated cap with 1/8" ports. I'd rather not have to buy a new one, or tap this one.

Thanks!

Last edited by blknblubkrdude; Apr 18, 2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Synapse DV is threaded for 1/8 BSP, which has very little taper. 1/8 BSP is supposed to be used with o-rings or pipe sealant. 1/8 pipe is the same pitch, but has a significantly greater taper. I talked to several machinists, and they all recommended using a 1/8 pipe nipple, and simply re-threading it with a 1/8 BSP die. That will remove the taper and allow the nipple to be threaded into the DV. That's what I did, and it worked fine. Most Craftsman metric tap and die sets have a 1/8 BSP die included. I'm sure other brands do also.

By the way, if you look at the Synapse DV, you'll see that the 1/8 BSP threads are too shallow to allow tapping them with a 1/8 pipe tap.

Last edited by lcwjr; Apr 19, 2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the good info!
I managed to run a fitting through a 1/8 NPT die far enough that it allowed it to thread properly. Holds 30+ psi so it'll do.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 02:28 PM

Installed mine yesterday, using stock IX turbo, ETS IC pipes (short version) with a Perrin intake.

First try was pull mode, with port B sourcing vacuum, port a VTA. Putting around in first through 3rd felt like the stock DV, maybe a little smoother. Transient response is clearly slower, and feels even more apparent in the higher gears. Tip-in in 4th around 3K RPM too lightly and she bucks and surges, same goes for 5th gear right around the same RPM but even more violently.

Second try was pull mode, port A sourcing vacuum, port B VTA. All-around smoother driving characteristics with improved spool up and transient response, more power can be felt as well in the midrange rpms. Did not notice any bucking, but anytime I would release the throttle (when still in vacuum), the DV would make this light flutter, which is nowhere near the bucking and flutter typical with compressor surge. Releasing throttle from boost makes the expected woosh, just like the stock DV, but quicker. I had not had the chance to try out port A on the highway yet in higher gears.

I will try out using both ports for my next test before trying out push mode, and will proceed with the same methodology (i.e port B, then port A, then both ports).

I will post my findings shortly.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

seems like many people are experiencing slower spool and transient response with pull mode. any thoughts as to why this would be the case?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

I first installed this device in pull mode with ports A+B hooked up. I decided to go with pull mode first because it would be easier to adjust with the ports facing up. The car seemed to build boost very quickly - moreso than with the stock DV, but it also fluttered like hell under partial throttle; basically anything between 10-20psi in gears 2-5.

I went to port b and it's a touch slower - basically holding/building boost like stock, but isn't flutter anywhere near as bad as the stock DV, or as with both ports hooked up. I really need to drive the car around more to get a feel for it.

So far, of the two configs in pull mode (A+B, and just B) I find the car much more driveable with just port B hooked up, and port A VTA. Both configs are with no preload. I left it just as it came from the manufacturer.

I also wanted to clarify something because this thread gets confusing at times: Post 109 suggests he's in pull mode, but from my perspective, that's push. My understanding is that if you can read the word "Synapse" when you pop the hood, your pushing. If you have the ports staring you in the face, you're in pull. Correct?

Last edited by boozeup&riot; Apr 24, 2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

yep
Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone have particular suggestions why we get such slow spool and transient response when in pull /port B?
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

thinking about gettin one of these. Is the best setup still Pull mode, B Port only, no pre-load?
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scothu
thinking about gettin one of these. Is the best setup still Pull mode, B Port only, no pre-load?
I've actually moved away from pull mode. Set up in push with a+b connected, and I think so far I like that best. I would get a fair deal of partial fluttering with it set to pull, regardless of what ports I had plugged in. There is no best setup, just the setup that works best for you and how you drive.

Quick Reply: Post your Synapse DV config and results