Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Post your Synapse DV config and results

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed mine on my car. Pull Mode with A hooked up to vacuum. When I'm slow cruising when I push in the clutch to shift it makes a noise sounds almost like a rattlesnake. Also on half throttle or so pull around 10psi it flutters like crazy.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by umopp
I haven't had a chance to read the entire thread yet but let's see if anyone can help me out here. I bought a low mileage DV that came with A+B hooked up. I installed it as-is in the oem-style push mode and it works fine but if I'm only in partial throttle with some boost it seems like the DV is constantly open. Reason being I hear a constant "woosh" noise similar to what you hear when you let off completely but for the duration of the time I'm in partial throttle. I also attempted to tighten the preload and it was only about 1/4 to a 1/3 turn before it became very snug (I stopped trying to tighten it for fear of breaking something), should I keep it like this or loosen it all the way or something in between?

Thanks guys!
I would start over, take all the preload out and start just with A port...

Go through tuning the valve, that is going to be your best bet, different ports different preloads etc. No body is going to tell you want you need, there are numerous suggestions throughout this thread for adjustments which worked for specific people and their setups.

Originally Posted by EvocentriK
I have been running my DV for a couple thousand k's. Noticed some oil residue around the hole for the A port (i didnt install the spigot in that hole since Im just using B). Is this normal?
I see, I would also think its lubrication from the valve etc....
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:35 AM

Finally got around to installing my softer Mil spec spring in my DV. I decided to put it back to port A, Pull mode, and no preload and it works flawless. I couldn't run port A before as the flutter was in every gear and with almost every throttle lift. Glad I finally put it in.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
^ Glad to hear that its working well for you

Thanks for the positive feedback.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by funyun
Finally got around to installing my softer Mil spec spring in my DV. I decided to put it back to port A, Pull mode, and no preload and it works flawless. I couldn't run port A before as the flutter was in every gear and with almost every throttle lift. Glad I finally put it in.
I had the exact same problem, the DV spring supplied is just slightly too stiff...
Honestly, no disrespect to Mil-spec, but Synapse should have changed their spring by now.......
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i have just installed the synapse dv i received from no limit motorsports. i initially installed it as Pull and port A to vac source and B venting. it idled fine with no issues but whenever i revved the motor it would flutter on the decel. sounded like somethig from fast and furious

while checking out the rest of the contents that came in the box i noticed that there was an additional spring included in the box. this spring is softer than what was installed from synapse. so i switched the spring and changed the orientation from pull to push and connected port B to Vaccum and left A to vent to atmosphere. the car started and idled fine, this time after revving the motor no flutter was heard, i took it out to run some errands and it felt smoother and i didnt hear any surging or fluttering but i had to take it easy since it was raining pretty good today.

i did notice that it felt like it lacked alittle response but i'm not too sure how to explain it but i added a turn of preload just to see. i'll be driving it tomorrow morning and i'll see how it acts then. i also up'd the size of the valve cover vent hole to 5/8" and added catch cans to the vent system. so i'm sure that will affect of the cars drives now too.

heres the pic of it installed
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Went for a drive this morning. I was actually able to hear and pay attention this time since it wasn't pouring. I have it as Push port b, A venting and one turn of preload.
I noticed under partial throttle while the turbo is building boost from vac to about 5-10 psi it sounds different. Wasn't sure if the DV is opening and letting air out. This DV is definitely louder than stock lol. Boost seemed to come on quick and while cruising in 5th doing about 60mph I have it a little more throttle to induce boost pressure and to see if it would flutter didn't realize that it climbed to 80 pretty quick.

Between this and upsizing the vent hole on the valve cover the engine sounds different and feels smoother.

I'll still play with it and see what comes up.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by blknblubkrdude
Here to report that pull on port B with Speed Density (VTA) is PHENOMENAL.
The reponse and partial on/off boost driveability is unmatched.

I am using a ETS UICP with Tial flange (and Synapse-Tial adapter)

[/IMG]
Excellent thanks for sharing. I am getting ready to go SD this weekend and was wondering how to setup.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

so i have been playing with the configuration of my DV. i have asked CBRD what they recommended and of course it was Pull mode single port. so i changed my to Pull mode and i had it on Port B to Vac and A venting. i noticed that it seemed to spool quickly but in 5th gear with partial throttle it pushed 20psi (according to my gauge) but it starting fluttering. so i changed the ports A to vac and B venting and now it seems to not produce quite as much boost. example in 5th gear partial throttle it made about 15psi but with no flutter.

so far idle is awesome, no stalling, afr seems more consistent and stable compared to before and the car ridesand feels smooth. i'm just trying to figure out what is normal for my setup and im not quite sure.

my current configuration is Pull Mode port A to vacuum and Port B venting with the softer synapse spring. builds boost quickly but it seems to be a touch slower and produces less boost than with the ports reversed

here is the pics of the install

i actually shortened the vacuum hose going to the DV after the snapped the pic.

what do you guys think?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

My setup is still working great for me...pull mode, running port B only with port A VTA...In regards to the flutter I had some in higher gears with the stock spring from Synapse. Once I picked up the spring, from Aby @ Milspec, I don't think I have had any flutter, maybe once. Also, I have yet to touch the preload at all.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

im running the softer spring from synapse and no pre load as well
Old Mar 10, 2013, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

has anyone else tried the softer synapse spring?
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Was running Push, Port B. Really nice response, great driving, only downside was it fluttered a bit on decel sometimes after mild-moderate throttle.

So I installed Mil.Spec's softer spring last night. Now it drives just as well as the Evo 9 OEM BOV! No flutter etc. However, 90% of the awesome sound is gone, it's SUPER quiet now. :\ I tried it with mild preload... drove really good, then I preloaded the hell out of it, now I need to back off, or maybe try it with no preload as it seems to require a bit more throttle at cruise to maintain speed (more resistance?).

I think I stripped the preload nut though LOL so I'll have to tear it off.

So far though, the softer spring resolves all my issues. The only downside is the weak sound. Any way to recover some of that? I don't want to run it as a Pull VTA setup until I switch to Speed Denisty.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 03:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by DisgustipatedM3
So I installed Mil.Spec's softer spring last night. Now it drives just as well as the Evo 9 OEM BOV! No flutter etc..So far though, the softer spring resolves all my issues. .
Awesome

However, 90% of the awesome sound is gone, it's SUPER quiet now. :\ The only downside is the weak sound. Any way to recover some of that?
Sorry, cant help you
Old Mar 18, 2013, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

...The only downside is the weak sound. Any way to recover some of that? I don't want to run it as a Pull VTA setup until I switch to Speed Denisty.
yeah dude, you turn the boost up

Quick Reply: Post your Synapse DV config and results