Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Post your Synapse DV config and results

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2014 | 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Do you have the older Synapse or the newer one? Try one line to port B and see how that feels.

Its way simpler to setup the BOV because its VTA. Just make sure the spring isn't broken.
Old Feb 7, 2014 | 03:00 PM

I have the newer style synapse dv! Currently I have it on push with both a+b ports with speed density. Also running the newer yellow spring from synapse. So far no issues, Just wanted to know what the best setup on speed density. Thanks!

Originally Posted by deylag
Do you have the older Synapse or the newer one? Try one line to port B and see how that feels.

Its way simpler to setup the BOV because its VTA. Just make sure the spring isn't broken.

Last edited by DecepticonsMR; Feb 7, 2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2014 | 09:36 PM

so i just installed this dv and if tried push and pull modes, both with port b and port a+b. im running the softer spring that came in the box with the preload set at 0 and it runs fine with little to no flutter/surge in partial throttle. but when i go wot i get a really harsh buck at full boost and i have no idea how to fix it. any ideas?
Old Apr 12, 2014 | 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

try port A only?

Mine would flutter on partial throttle under boost with A+B and just B in pull mode, but A worked fine

You really have to try every combination if you're not happy with the current one. Lots of little changes, but once you find the right setup, it's great
Old Apr 12, 2014 | 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wtwillie1
so i just installed this dv and if tried push and pull modes, both with port b and port a+b. im running the softer spring that came in the box with the preload set at 0 and it runs fine with little to no flutter/surge in partial throttle. but when i go wot i get a really harsh buck at full boost and i have no idea how to fix it. any ideas?
Possibly boost cut from switching out a leaking bov to a good one. What psi is it getting up to?
Old Apr 13, 2014 | 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

wtwillie1, I've got the same issue. I've tried all combos, paid $30 to Synapse (+1 month shipping time) for the softer spring, and it's still worse than a stock 9DV in every way on my car.

Last try was B, push, yellow spring, zero preload, dedicated manifold reference and the valve chops boost like a executioner when lifting throttle at speed. I did one session at Laguna last weekend then swapped back to the 9DV. It was honestly a hazard to drive.

It should be noted that I've also set boost duty to follow TPS in TephraV7, so boost should be coming down as a function of TPS anyway, easing the job on the DV. My power build is super mild: Stock intake, turbo, 3-port, LICP, TX-264, eBay o2, DP, cat, CBE... Boost is only ~22-18.

I've really wanted this thing to be better than stock, but no luck so far.
Old Apr 13, 2014 | 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by dsm nexus
Possibly boost cut from switching out a leaking bov to a good one. What psi is it getting up to?
im hoping thats what it is so i can just get it tuned out. i was tuned for 24-25 psi on the stock valve but id noticed the boost wasnt coming on nearly as hard with the stock valve as with the synapse. i could probably get a video of it and post it if that would help?
Old Apr 14, 2014 | 12:13 AM
Evolved Member

Just ordered one, have stock E9 engine, Tomei Arms turbo, Speed Density, EBC, planned boost around 25 psi.
Any recommended settings to start with?
Old Apr 14, 2014 | 12:20 AM
Evolved Member

ya i was told your WG Duty Cycle could be part of the problem.
Old May 1, 2014 | 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Unregisterd
I read the first few and last few pages, so forgive me if this was addressed somewhere. I just installed my DV yesterday and in addition to the partial throttle lift flutter, I'm having a weird over-revving issue during shifts. At first I thought it was just me being a bad driver, but it now happens during every high RPM shift and has done it to my fiance too so I'm pretty sure I didn't just forget how to drive overnight. Basically, when I up-shift the RPMs will jump up 500 RPM or more. It jumped up nearly 2k RPM from 4k earlier today when I was trying to pinpoint the conditions that cause it. It seems to happen at 4k RPM and up and doesn't seem particularly boost level dependent (I've gotten it from 10psi-30psi). I haven't tried lower throttle positions, but it will do it from probably 75% throttle and up. The only thing I've changed is the stock, uncrushed IX BOV for the Synapse DV. So far I've tried pull mode, port b; pull mode, port a+b; push mode, port b, and I notice almost no difference between any of them...all produce a lot more flutter than stock and this over-rev issue. Any idea what's causing the over-revving?
I am having the same problem as the guy above. He didn't seem to get any help with it, so I am asking again. I don't have the flutter but I have the over-rev problem. It doesn't continue to rev when driving easy, but when I accelerate medium to hard it always continues to rev about 500 rpm higher after letting off the gas pedal. Its really annoying.
I did not have this problem until after installing the synchronic DV. Has anyone else experienced this? Help!

UPDATE: I solved the problem. The vacuum hose going to DV had gotten loose from the heat and also had a small crack in it. I cut off the end and zip tied it on to the DV nipple. Problem solved. So if anyone experiences this themselves, check all over for vacuum or boost leaks.

I took a quick cell phone video. Not sure if this helps much...

Last edited by TurboTylerIX; May 7, 2014 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Solved the problem
Old May 1, 2014 | 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by TurboTylerIX
I am having the same problem as the guy above. He didn't seem to get any help with it, so I am asking again. I don't have the flutter but I have the over-rev problem. It doesn't continue to rev when driving easy, but when I accelerate medium to hard it always continues to rev about 500 rpm higher after letting off the gas pedal. Its really annoying.
I did not have this problem until after installing the synchronic DV. Has anyone else experienced this? Help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuj8M4__k-4
It's she, actually. That's exactly what mine was doing, much more dramatically sometimes. After trying multiple configurations, messing with some ECU tables, and changing to the softer Mil.Spec spring, I finally broke down and changed the throttle body shaft seals, which fixed the issue. I believe I also sealed the fittings on the DV with a dab of silicone because they were leaking pretty badly when I did a boost leak test afterward. It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure I sealed the DV a little while afterward, and it wasn't really contributing to the over revving. Good luck and I hope you get it resolved soon. I know mine was terribly annoying and embarrassing to drive like that.
Old May 1, 2014 | 10:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TurboTylerIX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuj8M4__k-4

I cant make this any easier for you..

http://www.mil-spec.org/Throttle-bod...-services.html

DO IT! YOULL LOVE YOUR CAR ALL OVER AGAIN!
This drove me crazy i tried everything under the sun until i broke down and just spent the 100$ and had it done.
Dont think twice.
Old May 2, 2014 | 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Unregisterd
It's she, actually. That's exactly what mine was doing, much more dramatically sometimes. After trying multiple configurations, messing with some ECU tables, and changing to the softer Mil.Spec spring, I finally broke down and changed the throttle body shaft seals, which fixed the issue. I believe I also sealed the fittings on the DV with a dab of silicone because they were leaking pretty badly when I did a boost leak test afterward. It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure I sealed the DV a little while afterward, and it wasn't really contributing to the over revving. Good luck and I hope you get it resolved soon. I know mine was terribly annoying and embarrassing to drive like that.
Sorry girl, my bad for assuming you were a guy. BTW its totally awesome to hear of a female so involved and into a performance car and modding it! I wish there were more.

I already have mil.spec TB shaft seals. my stock one were leaking terribly before and i had no issues with over-rev (with stock IX byass valve). I'll have to boost leak check again, maybe they went out on me. I was running 31psi so its possible.

Can someone explain the theory behind it though, i cant figure out how leaking TB shaft seals would cause this over-rev?
Old May 2, 2014 | 09:51 PM

Has anyone experienced some pretty aggressive flutter when driving the car at about 10 psi? The valve opens like crazy in any gear unless I let off or increase the accelerator. I've tried pull and push mode with the combination of different ports being used. I can't seem to solve the problem.
Old May 3, 2014 | 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Mine did that in pull mode with A+B and B. With just A, no flutter

Do you have the soft spring? no preload? if not, get the soft spring

Quick Reply: Post your Synapse DV config and results