Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Post your Synapse DV config and results

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2011 | 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Edited due to a recently recieved pm.

Last edited by PATRICK B.; Feb 22, 2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2011 | 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Bump...

Got mine in the mail today. Still have to wait for more parts before I drive my car though.

Any more config results?
Old Feb 28, 2011 | 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Since Peter from Synapse posted up on our local forum and actually expressed gratitude for making the vid i think it's safe to add it here now for the sake of add'l info for those running it or planning on installing it

I didn't really care to start a whole new thread for it and if mrfred thinks it's cluttering up his thread i'll gladly remove it once again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCcyTGwXCdc
Old Feb 28, 2011 | 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

That was a helpful video, thanks!

Is he saying most people run their DV in push with both ports connected?

Thanks
Old Feb 28, 2011 | 02:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by PATRICK B.

I didn't really care to start a whole new thread for it and if mrfred thinks it's cluttering up his thread i'll gladly remove it once again!
ok by me to keep it. My DV is working very nicely right now, but I'm going to look to see if my hose assy is doing the same thing.
Old Mar 5, 2011 | 09:53 PM
Former Sponsor

After hours on the dyno and hours on the road, I think that there is some good results being yielded by controlling the DV using a solenoid and an Aux/output channel from an ECU. We'll be working on putting together instructions for most ECU's, starting with AEM and Motec. Since most Evo guys use some sort of flash, it might be nice to find out if some channel can be configured similar to AEM & Motec.

What can you do after spending all this time setting up something like this? Well:
*Elimination of flutter and bucking
*Customization of response period
*Being able to pre-bleed the boost onset just at the right time to fix surge line compressor surge
*Adding overboost protection via the compressor bypass valve

Just some thoughts, still working on it for another project, and looking promising. If you're in the SD area and using AEM, let me know.

Old Mar 6, 2011 | 08:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Synapse
After hours on the dyno and hours on the road, I think that there is some good results being yielded by controlling the DV using a solenoid and an Aux/output channel from an ECU. We'll be working on putting together instructions for most ECU's, starting with AEM and Motec. Since most Evo guys use some sort of flash, it might be nice to find out if some channel can be configured similar to AEM & Motec.

What can you do after spending all this time setting up something like this? Well:
*Elimination of flutter and bucking
*Customization of response period
*Being able to pre-bleed the boost onset just at the right time to fix surge line compressor surge
*Adding overboost protection via the compressor bypass valve

Just some thoughts, still working on it for another project, and looking promising. If you're in the SD area and using AEM, let me know.

I can implement this on the stock ECU. If you don't mind, please start a new thread describing the method in either in the General Tuning forum or in the ECUFlash forum.
Old Mar 6, 2011 | 08:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Nice work synapse!
Old Mar 6, 2011 | 09:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mrfred
I can implement this on the stock ECU. If you don't mind, please start a new thread describing the method in either in the General Tuning forum or in the ECUFlash forum.
MrFred- you rock! I always knew our users were a cut above the nut hugging knuckle draggers that didn't understand the value of the product. Unfortunately, it will probably take me a good week before being able to put a post together because I have to go to Detroit as we speak, but I will give you some specs to play with to get you started. Here's what we'll need:
  • An output channel that switches to ground
  • Can sink 1.5A
  • MAP signal as load or voltage to switch against on the X axis
  • Binary switching, as opposed to PWM would be preferred
  • No interpolation between points ideal
  • ability to determine how long the switch is enabled ~20-300 ms
  • If we can change the resolution of the X axis so that you can say to switch at exactly X MAP volts, would be cool
  • 3-way solenoid, such as the AEM BCS/Grimspeed, etc.

I forgot to add on the list above that one thing you can do differently, is you can setup, the DV to be closed all the time, except for when you want to vent. So, basically VTA with a MAF is entirely possible.

Synchronic can actuate in as little as ~17ms including the 5ms it takes the solenoid to fire, so really, this would only work with this DV, and not others, so I caution trying to use any another DV in substitute, as it will only lead to disappointment.

Last edited by Synapse; Mar 6, 2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old Mar 6, 2011 | 09:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Synapse
MrFred- you rock! I always knew our users were a cut above the nut hugging knuckle draggers that didn't understand the value of the product. Unfortunately, it will probably take me a good week before being able to put a post together because I have to go to Detroit as we speak, but I will give you some specs to play with to get you started. Here's what we'll need:
  • An output channel that switches to ground
  • Can sink 1.5A
  • MAP signal as load or voltage to switch against on the X axis
  • Binary switching, as opposed to PWM would be preferred
  • No interpolation between points ideal
  • ability to determine how long the switch is enabled ~20-300 ms
  • If we can change the resolution of the X axis so that you can say to switch at exactly X MAP volts, would be cool

I forgot to add on the list above that one thing you can do differently, is you can setup, the DV to be closed all the time, except for when you want to vent. So, basically VTA with a MAF is entirely possible.

Synchronic can actuate in as little as ~17ms including the 5ms it takes the solenoid to fire, so really, this would only work with this DV, and not others, so I caution trying to use any another DV in substitute, as it will only lead to disappointment.
My thought is that you are using a 2 or 3 port solenoid to modulate pressure reaching the DV, correct? If yes, then it is doable. A few questions:

1) Are you modulating pressure from the intake manifold?

2) Can you post up a plot of the control map?
Old Mar 6, 2011 | 10:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mrfred
My thought is that you are using a 2 or 3 port solenoid to modulate pressure reaching the DV, correct? If yes, then it is doable. A few questions:

1) Are you modulating pressure from the intake manifold?

2) Can you post up a plot of the control map?
1) Yes, you vent the DV control port to atmosphere momentarily using a 3-way solenoid

2) The pic above is a 2D PWM MAP that is from AEM, binary on/off is preferred. We can do that using 100% duty as the switch period.
Old Mar 6, 2011 | 10:13 AM
EvoM Guru

ok, in your plot it appears that the x-axis is MAP. When the output is zero, is the DV cut off from the manifold pressure? Is there a special configuration for the DV, e.g., light spring, push/pull?
Old Mar 7, 2011 | 01:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Anybody watching this thread in the Detroit area? Will owe you big. PM me. -Peter
Old Mar 7, 2011 | 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Nice! Ill need to read all this when I get home from work...Can't wait to get my car back together and try this bov out...I will be using the Tial flange setup instead of stock...
Old Mar 7, 2011 | 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

any idea where I can get bspt 1/8" hose barbs? I want to run these instead of the push lock stuff in the kit

Quick Reply: Post your Synapse DV config and results