Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Post your Synapse DV config and results

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2011 | 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tfresh
any idea where I can get bspt 1/8" hose barbs? I want to run these instead of the push lock stuff in the kit
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_kw=bspt...F8%22&_kw=hose
Old Mar 7, 2011 | 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Synapse
Lastly guys, don't share the vac/boost control line to the BOV/DV with any type of control valve. This includes MBCs and BCSs.

Your standard OEM DV/BOV, or aftermarket unit such as Tial, Turbosmart, Forge, etc. have such slow response times and are so heavily sprung that they typically are not affected by this. In fact, we've had one of the local genuises here in San Diego telling their customers that the Synchronic units don't work and that they open up under boost and flutter under boost. When in fact, he was plumbing BCS solenoids and MBCs to vacuum and sharing the same line with the Syn BOV/DV control line. You can imagine what would happen once the control valve would start to PWM or vent pressure from the line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XFqd...layer_embedded

Hey that's my Evo in the video!! Sorry peter for going to your shop so damn much. I am getting the spring from Aby. I might pick up those brass fittings if you have any.

Btw, if you are having flutter issues do a boost leak test. Any leaks will really make a difference. This Dv works great.
Old Mar 7, 2011 | 09:54 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad5blVpnVzY

Check this out the day I installed my Dv.

Enjoy
Old Mar 11, 2011 | 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

I just installed mine. What worked best for me is pull mode, B port with 50% spring preload; it still flutters a little. However, I have to drive it around for a few days for better evaluation.

IMG_6.jpg?t=1299886373

Last edited by 18bora; Apr 10, 2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2011 | 01:52 PM
Former Sponsor

I've driven enough Evos now that the configuration that I find works best is:

Pull mode, B Port only, no pre-load

You can try the same setup above in push to see how it works for you. But Savagecorpsman's car came in plumbed to both A+B and A was loosely threaded. Didn't drive great, put it on B port only and runs much better now.
Old Mar 18, 2011 | 01:01 AM
Evolving Member

anybody elses valve leak out the threads for the preload adjustment for port A? Mine is a slight leak port B is fully sealed but A leaks slowely. I might try a little RTV on the threads and see how that works
Old Mar 18, 2011 | 01:49 AM
Former Sponsor

If anyone is running pre-load on an 8-9, I recommend you back it all the way out. There's no need to add more spring. It isn't opening under boost to require pre-load. We have a rig to measure dynamically on any carif the valve is opening at all, and after some tests already today that ha been ruled out.

If you back the pre-load all the way out, it won't leak past those threads. If you're only using Port B, A is to atmosphere anyhow, so it won't be an issue. However, if you are using A for something, some teflon or silicone on those threads will help. However, it will likely not be a leak substantial enough to even register on the MAF. Your MBC or BCS has a greater leak out the vent hole than those threads will ever pass. Still, we are working on a simple o-ring spec that may meet this need.
Old Mar 18, 2011 | 02:07 AM
Evolving Member

hmmm... bump!! was wondering if this will also work on the hks ssq unit as well!!?
Old Mar 18, 2011 | 09:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Synapse
If anyone is running pre-load on an 8-9, I recommend you back it all the way out. There's no need to add more spring. It isn't opening under boost to require pre-load. We have a rig to measure dynamically on any carif the valve is opening at all, and after some tests already today that ha been ruled out.

Have you tried the same with aby's experimental spring?
Old Mar 21, 2011 | 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

Finally got around to installing this. I have mine in pull mode with the experimental spring and 3 turns of preload using port B. This thing is amazing the only flutter I can get is from really trying by putting it in 5th and just below 2k rpm which I would never drive like that anyway. The valve reacts fast and is a definite upgrade from the Forge RS I had which is overkill for the stock turbo IMO.
Old Mar 22, 2011 | 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

I might have to get one of these smaller Synapse units.. my old/large Synchronic doesn't fit very well with my Magnus V5 UICP. Is there a trade-in deal if I already have the old unit?
Old Apr 1, 2011 | 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

bumper for some more results! My car will finally be running next week so Ill get to see how well this bov works...I am using the Tial flange adapter and will be trying it out this way first.....Pull mode, B Port only, no pre-load...

And I just bought these to use...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-8-BSPT-x-1-4-6...item3cb5ffe767

Last edited by 06MREvo; Apr 1, 2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2011 | 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

I installed it a couple weeks ago, and went with Synapses recommendation of Pull mode, B-port only, and 0 preload.

I have only driven it about 50 miles or so, but it works great. I really have to try to get it to flutter. The driveability is awesome, not even comparable to the Turbofart valve I had before.

Good luck!
Old Apr 1, 2011 | 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

hey, im wondering why people are resorting to using these brass fittings shown in this picture:
IMG_6.jpg?t=1299886373

instead of using the ones supplied with the DV shown here:

in the evo specific kit they are shown right next to the vacuum hose that they provide:

do those not work? or something? or are they not provided with the kit?
i ask because i plan on ordering the DV soon...and saw a video and some posts saying not to use the Boost Connect™ fittings because with flex they tend to leak?...

Thanks!
Old Apr 1, 2011 | 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

^^^I don't know about everyone else but I am pretty positive the fittings in the middle picture didn't come with my DV, otherwise I would use them...

Quick Reply: Post your Synapse DV config and results