Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

winter Project ''project 9'' by Evodan2004.

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2011, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
maybe i can get some tips from the evo drag racers.

my one concern is when i launch the car i always blow the tires apart. bouncing off the rev limiter for the length of 1st gear. my 60 foots IMO suck. pass after pass after pass. my question is. is my launch control 2step to high? 6500rpm. if you go to my youtube chan ''evodan2009'' and look at all my drag passes nearly every pass im spinning pretty hard.

should i lower it?
Old May 23, 2011, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice pass man, I would def take it considering it was ur first time out with the new setup! It will take a little bit to get used to the new setup and power level. Im going to be in the same boat when i go the first time with the new setup. Good luck when u go back and I hope to see ur 9 sec pass!
Old May 23, 2011, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

I would def run different tires. Slicks go a long way in saving drivetrain parts usually or just some better tires at least.

How much boost you build on 2 step? You may try lowering it to 6000, and if it bogs all the time just raise till it doesn't bog anymore.
Old May 23, 2011, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by project_skyline
I would def run different tires. Slicks go a long way in saving drivetrain parts usually or just some better tires at least.

How much boost you build on 2 step? You may try lowering it to 6000, and if it bogs all the time just raise till it doesn't bog anymore.
i will be using QTP on my RX-7 rims once i brake 9s. i really really want 9s on street tires and 100oct. then im adding E85 and im done with street tires.

you know i never looked at boost off the line at all yesterday. i guess i need to know this info. lol.
Old May 23, 2011, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Hey Dan sorry to hear about the issues on your last outting

I know you're goal is to run the 9 on a "street" tire but imo it's not worth the hassle of breaking parts and pushing everything so far to get the job done but that's just me and why i went to a much softer sidewall tire years ago.

Since then i've never really broken anything d/t wise just 2nd gear syncro issues from trying to shift in the 9K range lol!

Def get rid of the Nitto's but trust me even with the QTP's and/or slicks it can still be tricky to find the sweet spot.................. i may not the best person to take advice from as i tend to be on the less-aggressive side when it comes to launching the car so that i can work my way up instead of having to try and back down in rpm/boost as i find it a bit easier to adjust the quickness of my left leg.

For instance i was out testing yesterday and was having issues finding the best launch set-up as well (i will post a thread in the drag section later if you care to see vids) as i admit i was rusty from not driving the car much since last Nov when it ran 9.82

FWIW i was leaving at 7000 rpm and bumped it up to 7200 as i was getting a bog off the line.

I hope that rear diff is safe and good luck getting back out there don't let this get you too down.
Old May 23, 2011, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PATRICK B.
Hey Dan sorry to hear about the issues on your last outting

I know you're goal is to run the 9 on a "street" tire but imo it's not worth the hassle of breaking parts and pushing everything so far to get the job done but that's just me and why i went to a much softer sidewall tire years ago.

Since then i've never really broken anything d/t wise just 2nd gear syncro issues from trying to shift in the 9K range lol!

Def get rid of the Nitto's but trust me even with the QTP's and/or slicks it can still be tricky to find the sweet spot.................. i may not the best person to take advice from as i tend to be on the less-aggressive side when it comes to launching the car so that i can work my way up instead of having to try and back down in rpm/boost as i find it a bit easier to adjust the quickness of my left leg.

For instance i was out testing yesterday and was having issues finding the best launch set-up as well (i will post a thread in the drag section later if you care to see vids) as i admit i was rusty from not driving the car much since last Nov when it ran 9.82

FWIW i was leaving at 7000 rpm and bumped it up to 7200 as i was getting a bog off the line.

I hope that rear diff is safe and good luck getting back out there don't let this get you too down.
i know its not worth the headache. lol sean keeps telling me im crazy. i know you guys are right. but i am stubborn. i want a car that runs 9s the same trim i would take my girlfriend to the mall to spend all my money.

i will definitely be waiting for your thread. when you leave the line at 7200rpm are you sitting on the rev limiter before you shift into 2nd? i have the same issue at 8500/9500 trying to grab 2nd gear. miss after miss after miss. but if i get a bog or a crappy 60 foot she falls right into gear.

i am definitely rusty. i could not focus on one thing at a time.
Old May 23, 2011, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

ok i got the rear out of the car. the rest of the axle shaft that go's into the rear popped out pretty quickly. so thats a plus.

the bad news is when you look inside that hole where the shaft go's its chewed up pretty good. i am wondering if i should send it back to TRE for a look since its the HD side cover that got chewed up.
Old May 23, 2011, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
ok i got the rear out of the car. the rest of the axle shaft that go's into the rear popped out pretty quickly. so thats a plus.

the bad news is when you look inside that hole where the shaft go's its chewed up pretty good. i am wondering if i should send it back to TRE for a look since its the HD side cover that got chewed up.
Shoot them some pics and see what they say before you go and send it back in to keep your down-time to a minimum
Old May 23, 2011, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PATRICK B.
Shoot them some pics and see what they say before you go and send it back in to keep your down-time to a minimum
i emailed him pics and also posted the pics in the rear diff thread on evom.
Old May 23, 2011, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ouch on the axle... But that car is fast bro. How many point cage do you have?
Old May 23, 2011, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BOOSTINAT30PSI
Ouch on the axle... But that car is fast bro. How many point cage do you have?
6 point.
Old May 23, 2011, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
If you insist on using a "street tire" just get a better tire. Those 555r are seriously junk for drag racing.
BFGs, Mickeys or Hoosiers would be far better. Hunt down a local that would let you break off a few 9 second passes with them and then be done with it.

Just my opinion, but if the car spins off the line without hopping, I'd error on the spin side. Bogging with a dead hook is pretty hard on drivetrain too.
Old May 23, 2011, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
If you insist on using a "street tire" just get a better tire. Those 555r are seriously junk for drag racing.
BFGs, Mickeys or Hoosiers would be far better. Hunt down a local that would let you break off a few 9 second passes with them and then be done with it.

Just my opinion, but if the car spins off the line without hopping, I'd error on the spin side. Bogging with a dead hook is pretty hard on drivetrain too.

what models do you recommend.
Old May 23, 2011, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Just about anything is better then the 555r.
I don't know what you have going for RPM capability, gearing (different final drive?) or wheel size, so I'll just list what is out there for D/Rs that are reasonable sizes for the EVO. They are all about 25.7" in diameter, which would pull an EVO VIII with stock final to 145mph at ~8800 RPM. IMO, the EVO has short enough gears that the larger diameter is better as it gives a softer sidewall and can keep you out of 5th.

BFG G-Force T/A Drag Radial 2
275/40/17

Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial
275/40/17

Hoosier D.O.T Drag Radial
245/45/17
275/40/17

They are all radials though so none of them are going to be "nice" to the drivetrain. I've heard the Hoosiers have the softest sidewall of the bunch and I've setup a car on the Mickey Thompsons. The Mickeys hook pretty well without any kind of burnout/scrub off. A lot of domestics guys swear by the BFGs, but I've never used them or setup a car on them.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; May 23, 2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old May 23, 2011, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Just about anything is better then the 555r.
I don't know what you have going for RPM capability, gearing (different final drive?) or wheel size, so I'll just list what is out there for D/Rs that are reasonable sizes for the EVO. They are all about 25.7" in diameter, which would pull an EVO VIII with stock final to 145mph at ~8800 RPM. IMO, the EVO has short enough gears that the larger diameter is better as it gives a softer sidewall and can keep you out of 5th.

BFG G-Force T/A Drag Radial 2
275/40/17

Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial
275/40/17

Hoosier D.O.T Drag Radial
245/45/17
275/40/17
i run a stock final. in a evo8 trans evo 8 4th gear. RPM limit is at 9800rpm right now. i am crossing the line around 9000 to 9300 rpm ''depending on what i do the rest of the track''

this i should know but im not afraid to admit it but them tire sizes.

XXX is width XX is height and i know XX is rim size. HAHA.

i may just buy a new set of ''street'' tires when i order my QTP's

Quick Reply: winter Project ''project 9'' by Evodan2004.