Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Why is my Brake light turning on?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2003, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is my Brake light turning on?

Lately...I've noticed when braking real hard or pushing the car to redline even, my brake light on the dash is coming on for a few seconds and then going off.
I have 20k miles, with plenty of pad life left. However...it has been freezing lately. My E-brake handle is definitely down all the way when this is happening. Its been going on for the last few days.

Just curious if anyone else has had this type of problem?
Old Dec 3, 2003, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Do you have a turbo timer? Did you tap into the ebrake sensor wire? If so check your connections.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

No TT, I haven't tapped into the wires at all yet.
I did change my engine and tranny fluids over the weekend though. Before that, I installed a grounding kit about a month ago.
It's been in the 10-20 degree range lately, maybe the cold temps are throwing something off?
Old Dec 3, 2003, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

Check the level of your brake fluid. The sensor for the fluid will light up the dash light to indicate that it is low.

Not sure if this is how it works on the EVO, but it does on other cars.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

Just ran out to check it and its barely above the minimum line. Thanks for tip!

It says to use either DOT 3 or DOT 4 type fluid?
Any recommendation on which brand and type I should go with?

thanks
Old Dec 3, 2003, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

Check the manual or call the dealer. I'm really not sure.

Glad to see that it worked out for you.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

Your are not supposed to refill it.
Brakes have a closed system. When the fluid is slow is because you need new pads. I don't know if these pads make the squeeking noise when they are low. One this is for sure when the light is on all the time. You need to change pads.
My light is starting to turn on when I brake really hard.

Of course my argument doesn't hold if you have a leek. I don't think that's the case though.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

Your talking about the "Squeekers" that the manufacturer puts in the pads as an indicator that you need new pads.

He may have to check this. He could also have been doing some heavy driving and boiled off some fluid.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by amigoni
Brakes have a closed system. When the fluid is slow is because you need new pads. I don't know if these pads make the squeeking noise when they are low. One this is for sure when the light is on all the time. You need to change pads.

Of course my argument doesn't hold if you have a leek. I don't think that's the case though.
All I'm looking to do is top off the reservoir. I dont think this will cause a problem. It would make sense putting a sensor in there warning you of low brake fluid, being its a car use commonly on a track. Last time I rotated my wheels I still had plenty of pad life left and I dont have any leaks I'm aware off. But will have it checked when I get the new tires put on friday.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by amigoni

This is only true for daily light duty driven cars. If you are hard on your brakes, you can boil off fluid. And as such, you should top off the res. But if you know you have to replace brakes soon, replace em instead of topping off the res...

A low fluid res is an indicator of one of 3 things.
1. You are boiling off fluid due to heavy use.
2. You have a leak in your braking system.
3. Your pads are low and will need replacing shortly.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 08:28 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Suprised noone has said this... your car is under warranty... TAKE IT IN! Why screw with it yourself?
Old Dec 3, 2003, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

I personally won't let a Mitsu dealer touch my car unless something goes seriously wrong!
Old Dec 3, 2003, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

word
Old Dec 3, 2003, 10:47 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by webguy330i
I personally won't let a Mitsu dealer touch my car unless something goes seriously wrong!
Gotta find a different dealer then. Our service dept rocks.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

I'd have to agree with Webguy. I've owned a mitsu previous to the Evo and I've seen the quality of people, service and facilities they carry in my area and I've come to the conclusion I wouldn't let them touch my car either, unless I really needed them to.
There is only one service department I have found that does good work, but they wouldn't touch my car without me leaving it for a day, which would mean I'd need a rental.

Over lunch I stopped by a different mitsu dealer which i normally use for parts, but figured I'd save a few bucks and ask the service department to just top off the fluid. Well...sure enough, I was immediately greeted by one of the worst personalities a service manager could EVER have!
I was lucky to be able to walk out of there with a 1/2 bottle of OEM DOT 3 brake fluid after getting into a pissing match with her about my dam brake pads! For some reason, she could not understand the fact that my pads did not need replacing, as I personally checked them a few weeks ago when I rotated my tires and there was still plenty of life left on them. She eventually shut up and got me some brake fluid (probably just to get me out of there). It makes me wonder how much service this dealer is possibly losing because of this persons attitude. I'm generally an easy going person too.

So I got of there and filled up the reservoir to the mid point. I'll keep an eye out for the brake light the next few days.

I think either mitsu went short on the fluid when they filled it or this OEM stuff just isn't up to the task for these brembo's. I am tough on brakes in general, but still no where near track level abuse.
I'm getting tires changed over on friday, so I'll have the shop check for any leaks.

Last edited by spyderturbo; Dec 3, 2003 at 12:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Why is my Brake light turning on?