Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cool down and warm up procedure??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2003, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool down and warm up procedure??

First post here, great forum with loads of info. We just bought an EVO this past weekend and it rocks! I sure hope we don't have problems like some others have had. Anyway, in reading some posts I have noticed that there is obviously a warm up and cool down procedure that I don't know about! Could someone explain these to me as I don't want to screw this car up! Thanks for your help!
John
Old Dec 3, 2003, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

hahahaha a Newbie... learn to use the SEARCH option... Youll find a million threads about this...
Old Dec 3, 2003, 08:46 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Warm up... when starting it, give it a min if you can before taking off and lay off the turbo until the car is warm. I recommend never boosting it at all until at least the temperature needle has moved past the C mark.

Cooling down... get a turbo timer. The car should idle, not moving or not revving at all for upwards of a minute or more. If you just came off some spirited driving with a lot of boosting, give it more time, such as 2-3 minutes. Generally, you really don't need to exceed 3 minutes, ever. I set my turbo timer for 1:30 and that covers me almost all the time. Most name brand turbo timers have harnesses that plug right in.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the help Fireball. What exactly does a Turbo timer do? Does it shut the motor off after a certain amount of time or is it just a timer?? Thanks for the help.
John
Old Dec 3, 2003, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

AustinEVO - it keeps your car running after you have removed the key from the ignition for a set period of time.

I don't believe in turbo timers though. First, you are way better off drving your car around slowly barely above idle. When your car is parked (especially true in a garage) your IC is getting zero airflow. Second, I don't like the idea of my car running unattended (unless you wait in your car, but what's the point of a turbo timer then?) while you head into your home/work/whatever - that's just asking for trouble imo.

Yeah, it's a good idea to let your car cool down (more important with turbo-charged cars, and doubly important after some spirited driving) but you are your own best turbo timer. Just make sure to give your turbo the chance to wind down (and warm up when starting) depending on the situation....

my 2 cents...
Old Dec 3, 2003, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by trigeek37
AustinEVO - it keeps your car running after you have removed the key from the ignition for a set period of time.

I don't believe in turbo timers though. First, you are way better off drving your car around slowly barely above idle. When your car is parked (especially true in a garage) your IC is getting zero airflow. Second, I don't like the idea of my car running unattended (unless you wait in your car, but what's the point of a turbo timer then?) while you head into your home/work/whatever - that's just asking for trouble imo.

Yeah, it's a good idea to let your car cool down (more important with turbo-charged cars, and doubly important after some spirited driving) but you are your own best turbo timer. Just make sure to give your turbo the chance to wind down (and warm up when starting) depending on the situation....

my 2 cents...

That is why there is an engine cutoff feature wired into the E-brake. Ebrake disengages, engine shuts off.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

Baby your new toy for atleast the first 1000 miles! It's really hard to do considering right around 3k rpm you can hear the turbo whinning to be unleashed. but I let my car warm up everytime for atleast a minute, and cool down according to how hard I drive. I don't always use my turbo timer but I do when I drive hard, otherwise driving below boost for the last few minutes works for me. I've done these things and have avoided all the problems people posted here on this forum. Enjoy the ride.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Cool, thanks for all the info!! I have been taking it easy on her, I keep it below 5K rpm and will change the oil to Dino oil today(all ready have 225 miles on it)as it seems many on here recommend. I figure its a pretty easy and inexpensive to do so why not. Great site and I can't wait to upgrade this car. Once again, thanks for the help and advice.
John
Old Dec 3, 2003, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the best turbo timer?

ME!!!
Old Dec 3, 2003, 10:44 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by Dr Evo
What's the best turbo timer?

ME!!!

I perfer the HKS Type 1 w/ MT-6 harness.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Fireball

I perfer the HKS Type 1 w/ MT-6 harness.
Thats the one I was looking at. So do you have to reset it every time or does it have a "memory" so that it just lets the car idle for a pre-set amount of time everytime you park the car?
Old Dec 3, 2003, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

great choice in a car. I have a Greddy TT with the harness and install was a piece of cake. It only took me 45 minutes. Unless you want to sit in your car to cool down the turbo, then that's great but for me.......no. It's kinda funny when you go somewhere with your friends and they get out of their cars an go where they have to go and your still sitting in yours waiting for the turbo to cool down. Just remember that the oil is not just a lubricant in a turbo charge car, it also "cools" the bushing/bearings in the turbo. I got my TT set for 1:30 also.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

I do not have a turbo timer.
I believe in letting the car cool down about a mile before my destination.
This way the entire car cools down, including brakes.
Unless you are beating the hell out your car all the way through
your nieghborhood you don't need a turbo timer.
Plus it will void your warranty if you alter your car.

My $.02
Old Dec 3, 2003, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by TragicallyHip

Plus it will void your warranty if you alter your car.
Not true.

Also, zero airflow for the IC doesn't matter.
The car's security systems, as installed, will work while the car is turbotiming. It is completely safe. They would have to bypass the security in the time it takes to turbotime out and then they would have to keep the ebrake on and continually add time to the TT to be able to steal the car.
The TT is only needed when using boost right before shutting down. Cruising at 65 mph won't require turbotiming. Only boost. Even then, only 1 or 2 minutes is necessary.
I think warming the car up is at least, if not more, important on near stock cars. All cars should get the coolant needle in the gauge range before going anywhere.

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com
Old Dec 4, 2003, 03:42 AM

Originally posted by ex-honda
It's kinda funny when you go somewhere with your friends and they get out of their cars an go where they have to go and your still sitting in yours waiting for the turbo to cool down.
That's hilarious. But totally true. This happened to me all the time when I first got the car. I park the car, my friends get out...stare at me...then get back in the car. Now they all know the routine, so they just just chill until I cut the motor. Funny thing is, I got an aftermarket alarm which automatically locks the doors when the car is on (unlockes them when I cut the engine), so now when people try to get out of the car before I turn it off, they can't! Tons of laughs.

Anyway, I use common sense when deciding how long to let my car cool down for. If I've been doing city driving (driving mostly below boost levels, sitting at stop lights, driving through a parking lot) then I don't really give the car more than thirty seconds, if that. If I've been running the turbo, though, I'll wait a minute or so. But I've gotten more liberal since I've had the car. when I first got it, I made people sit in it with me for at least two mintues before cutting the engine, regardless of how it had been driven.

Quick Reply: Cool down and warm up procedure??