Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How to destroy an MR 6-speed (video inside)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2010, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you tell where the break originated? Is it where the ACD made contact? or possibly where the casting on the case comes together?

I would imagine 6-speeds are great trannys offering awesome ratios when used within their intended context. Talk to your tranny builder and the transmission experts. They're opinions are the ones that truly count.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I have never seen a case failure where the gears weren't destroyed. Very odd. If the 6-speed does have a weak case, I would consider that a worse feature then weak gears. At least with weak gears, somebody can make an upgrade available. There isn't much you can do when the case is the weak point unless you have a market big enough to support a company making a new case (Honda B-series for example has a billet bellhousing available).

I have slit transmission cases in half before, but it was from the gears failing and then the broken teeth getting pulled into the remaining meshing gears and wedging the shafts apart, splitting the case.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
I have never seen a case failure where the gears weren't destroyed. Very odd. If the 6-speed does have a weak case, I would consider that a worse feature then weak gears. At least with weak gears, somebody can make an upgrade available. There isn't much you can do when the case is the weak point unless you have a market big enough to support a company making a new case (Honda B-series for example has a billet bellhousing available).

I have slit transmission cases in half before, but it was from the gears failing and then the broken teeth getting pulled into the remaining meshing gears and wedging the shafts apart, splitting the case.
It sounds like you have experience in the matter so can you tell me what you see in my pictures? It does look like the gears are in remarkably good condition, no?
Old Nov 27, 2010, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

Im glad my 6 speed never took a **** on me from all my abuse and launches, now i have a 5 speed with a 4.11 drive. I love that i can cruise @ 3k rpm on 5th gear. Get a 5 speed with a 4.11 and you will never miss your 6 speed tranny.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tb_evo
All I could say is that the IX MR tranny is made out of glass...
The glass 6 speed didn't fail...
Old Nov 29, 2010, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jdlewh
The glass 6 speed didn't fail...
Do a search in the forum. A LOT of 6 speeds have failed especially when used on the track or drag. Btw, I am not talking about 1 or 2 track days a month, I am talking about going to the track at least 4-5 times a month.

Bottom line:
Daily driving = 6 speed is ideal.

Track/Drag = 6 speed turns into glass.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 03:42 AM
Evolved Member

Lowering springs makes the suspension more stiff so instead of squatting you get wheel hop when launching.i believe the wheelhop was a significant factor in your failure.vibration like that can cause major failures.in industry most machinery is aligned and balanced to prevent vibration.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

WOW!!! that sucks