Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 4 Crank Walk victim...Opinions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2010, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djikonatx
it sucks too hear this happened to you since im also evo 4 powered on my8. honestly not just because you put an e8 engine in there its gonna prevent it...i sold a block to this evo 8 guy who had crankwalk.so really no matter what year model you get you could be at risk for it.just another problem to the longggg list that the evo has.
Yea I hear, it can happen to any engine. I definitely want to continue to keep the Evo4 and get a solid engine it. The great definitely outweighs the cons...I'd hate to get rid of it.
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Im not 100% convinced it is crankwalk at this point. Could just be a spun and frozen bearing. Only way to see if the cranks sensor got chewed up is to pull the timing cover. Id tear into that before making to many assumptions.
The engine, car, engine bay on this car is meticulous...I want to say it was well maintained from the get go. I also blown many engine in my time, from at least being able to drive them home on 2 cylinders and 1 with the hole in the. She won't budge.
Originally Posted by RSMike
evo 4's are notorious for crankwalk, as someone has already said Mitsi fixed the problem with evo 5 and up.
We have a lot of Evo 4's here in NZ, there are posts all over the forums about it.
Pretty much the same as what I've been hearing all over Lancer Registry, they carry the crankwalk rep as so the DSMs of America.
Originally Posted by Gary@MellonTuning
the evo 4 thrust bearing is different to the evo 8
Hope to get her running again. I'd definitely be in contact with you for some tuning from afar!

Thanks for the input fellas....If ANYONE selling/spots a 6 7 8 block for sale and I cross the mind, shoot me a PM.

I do want to take the timing cover off also, didnt realize how much work it was to get that damn bottom cover off!?!!