Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Blowing Radiator Cap?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blowing Radiator Cap?

Should my radiator cap blow off before my solid core Mishimoto radiator should Blow? why I ask is I blew a Koyo Sold Aluminum Core at the bottom of the radiator fins and Lower tank meet. So I bought a Mishimoto Solid aluminum core and it took about 7 months to do but it looks like the same thing is happening on this core to. Could this be a problem with my head gasket?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 01:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
do you find yourself having to fill coolant overflow tank up occasionally? is it possible you have a stuck air bubble in the coolant system maybe?

next time you install new rad do this:

fill up coolant to the top of radiator
start the car with the cap off
wait for the coolant to get close to overflowing as the motor warms up and thermostat opens
close cap so it dont overflow
turn car off
start it back up again
check coolant overflow.. refill to fill line as necessary
take car around the block.. check coolant level again (via overflow tank)

the trick is to keep he overflow tank full of coolant so the system doesnt suck in air. confirm you have no bubbles in the coolant and just keep an eye on the coolant level.

if you find yourself losing coolant from the overflow and having to refill it, pull the valve cover off.. check the torque spec on the headstuds with the motor COLD.. as in leave it sit overnight then check it the next day. torque the studs to spec in proper order and if some turn then there you go.

if you did stretch your studs and they turn alittle more then chances are the head was lifting under boost and overpressurizing the coolant system.

usually when a radiator cracks or fails tho, it is a result of overheating the car due to air bubbles in the system or insufficient coolant level (also causing air bubbles)

Good luck!
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could possibly be a minor head gasket problem to the point that you're adding additional pressure to the cooling system. When I cracked a sleeve on my integra, it blew the upper radiator hose right off the engine and shot antifreeze all over the windshield.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well to add my 0.02 u can pressure test your radiator cap making sure its holding pressure, and you can also pressure test the radiator at the filler neck...if either are leaking and you bought it mishimoto has a lifetime warranty on all there parts....i just had mine replaced a few months ago free..