Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need some advice on my balance/timing belt tention

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2010, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advice on my balance/timing belt tention

I have just completed my timing belt on my evo. I take it out, all is well. I seem to be getting this vibration at 6-7000rpm. almost sounds like a car overrevving. like a miss shift. I thought maybe the exhaust was rubbing, I am starting to think the ballance shaft belt mite be to tight... any help would be great.

I had the worst luck
do the timing belt, took forever since everything was rusted,unwilling to move. Had seriously 3 hours on maybe 5 or so bolts
------- get everything together, waterpump leaks. haha, I missed a part of gasket that i clearly could not see... pulled it ALL(literally everything) back out.

now this!!!!!
under 6k everything is normal.
going to see if i can gopro the noise.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 04:53 AM
Evolved Member

balance shaft might be out of phase, that will cause some vibrations in upper rpm
Old Nov 24, 2010, 05:07 AM
Evolved Member

everything was spot on as far as every timing mark. What do you mean out of phase?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by JakeTheVIII
balance shaft might be out of phase, that will cause some vibrations in upper rpm
100% the balance shaft 180* out. Gotta pull her back apart man.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The balance shaft driven by the oil pump sprocket turns at twice engine speed (as well as the other one). So, when the oil pump sprocket is aligned with its timing mark the balance shaft can be in phase or 180 out - a Mitsu gotcha.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

yea man I agree. When you take her apart there is a bolt on the side of the block towards the front of the car. Remove the bolt so you can stick a screw driver in. When all the timing marks are aligned you should be able to put the screw driver (or some type of rod) a good few inches if i remember correctly. If it goes in only a little that means your oil pump is 180* out. I have the service manual in PDF at home but I wont be home till late today. Or else I would post up the picture so you could see what I'm talking about
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:29 AM

The balance shaft driven by the oil pump sprocket turns at twice engine speed (as well as the other one). So, when the oil pump sprocket is aligned with its timing mark the balance shaft can be in phase or 180 out - a Mitsu gotcha.
I think you should be able to check this by aligning the cam marks at TDC and sticking a drill in the appropriate hole...before you start tearing it apart. Balance shaft belt tension should not be a factor though.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Oil pump is like 90 deg. off.. .Waiting for a friend to come over to hold the cams.. woof! haha

How long of a screw driver? because theres tons of stuff in the way. the driver should go threw the hole and lock the shaft correct? I see so when the shaft goes around there is only 1 hole?

If the marks line up, it can still be out of time?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

it doesnt have to be very long maybe like a 6" one will work(you might be able to do it with something shorter than that). I did mine more than a year ago so i cant remember exactly. I had my turbo and manifold off at the time also so i had plenty of space to work with.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

^^^^^ I wish.... I honestly cannot see ****. I am flipping out because of this car.. The timing marks line up 100%, so that means i am 180deg out, does that mean that i can turn the oil pump sprocket a full turn till it lines up again and it will work??, im just so lost and have done this job 3 times now. i just want to be done with it.Im soooo frustrated its not even funnny.

I stick a screw driver in the hole. the o2 housing is pretty much 100% in the way.but its not doing anything, its almost like i can move the drivers in a circle and it will do nothing. willing to pay somone from NY to come to my house and lend a hand with just this part. I cant deal with this. going into deep depression (not really, i just feel like **** becuase of something so dumb i have invested SO much time. sorry, i just had to vent. if anyone from a place that builds motors has one apart and can snap a picture i would love you for life.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 06:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by blkmkIII
^^^^^ I wish.... I honestly cannot see ****. I am flipping out because of this car.. The timing marks line up 100%, so that means i am 180deg out, does that mean that i can turn the oil pump sprocket a full turn till it lines up again and it will work??, im just so lost and have done this job 3 times now. i just want to be done with it.Im soooo frustrated its not even funnny.

I stick a screw driver in the hole. the o2 housing is pretty much 100% in the way.but its not doing anything, its almost like i can move the drivers in a circle and it will do nothing. willing to pay somone from NY to come to my house and lend a hand with just this part. I cant deal with this. going into deep depression (not really, i just feel like **** becuase of something so dumb i have invested SO much time. sorry, i just had to vent. if anyone from a place that builds motors has one apart and can snap a picture i would love you for life.
this doesnt work on all oil pump sprockets, depending how worn out the balance shaft bearings are but set the oil pump sprocket to 11 o clock and let it go.. if it falls back (counter clockwise) towards 9 o clock its in phase, if it doesnt, its not in phase. you want it to fall counterclock wise for it to be in phase.

The inspection hole is a pain in the ***, it takes just the right screw driver and then ya everythings in the damn way i agree.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

holy crap, wait. so i will take the belt back off tomorrow... if it is not in phase, i just turn the oil pump sprocket a full rotation and try to have it at the mark(11) and let go? if shes good, just line her up? the screwdriver in the block is needed why? also does anyone have a picture of this assembly I cant picture what i cannot see)
Thank you all so much for your help HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yes its that simple. if you set the oil pump sprocket to point the timing mark on it upwards around 11 or 12 o clock it will fall back when its in phase.. if its not in phase it will not move. you should be able to tell this way, however i really couldnt on my personal evo because the bearings were to new i guess so the balance shafts didnt turn really freely enough.

no problem and happy thanksgiving to you as well.

taken from vfaq: NOTE that there is an easier way to do this. Simply rotate the mark on the oil pump sprocket until it is pointing straight up, and let it go. If the sprocket rotates towards (counterclockwise) the timing mark on the engine, the oil pump sprocket is aligned correctly. If it rotates away (clockwise) from the mark, spin the sprocket a full turn and test again, and it should properly rotate towards the mark now. Now line the mark on the sprocket back up with the mark on the engine.

also make sure you can slide the grenade pin in and out the hydraulic tensioner once you tension the belt and also make sure when you remove belt to slowly put pressure on tensioner to slowly make it line up with hole again before you put in the grenade pin.. failure to do this slow will blow the hydraulic piston out of the hydraulic tensioner.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:45 PM
Evolved Member

awesome. honestly.. thank you so much!

I was under the impression that the manual tentioner tentioned most of the belt, and once the grenade pin was removed. it pushed up on the arm and got the rest of the slack... its been a long day and i am sure my body/brain cannot comprehend. THANK YOU so so much
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
After aligning the timing marks of the engine oil pump
sprocket, remove the cylinder block plug and insert a Phillips
screw driver with a shaft diameter of 8 mm (0.31 inch)
through the plug hole to check that the shaft of the screw
driver can be inserted for 60 mm (2.36 inches) or more. If
the screw driver makes contact with the balancer shaft and
can be inserted for only 20
25 mm (0.79 0.98 inch), turn
the engine oil pump sprocket for one round and align timing
marks again to check that screw driver can be inserted for
60 mm or more. Do not take the screw driver out before

completing installation of the valve timing belt.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Need some advice on my balance/timing belt tention