Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP-Black and stock 6-Spd......will it blend?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FP-Black and stock 6-Spd......will it blend?

Greetings from Austria,

i'm about to receive a new Black in a few days (hopefully) cause me Red failed after 1 year and FP
is going to repair it on warranty. ( i do have to pay for the upgrade though).

i made 525hp to the crank with the Red on 29psi and 100octane fuel.
i don't know how much power this would be on a mustang dyno and i'm pretty
sure that there are also different correction types between european and american measuring.
so i have a small video here where i'm accelerating in 4th gear up to 160mph. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtw7pm8j-P0
however i've never had problems so far with the 6-spd.
but since i read through this thread:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...our-turbo.html
where a lot of people are going with the Red instead Black due to the 6-spd
i'm gettin' a bit scared.

a friend of mine had some problems with his 6-spd on a similar setup
...he couldn't shift into 6th anymore.
our tuner said, that this happens if you floor the car too often in 6th gear with that amount of power.
he said that the 6th gear is the weakest and it will fail very easy.
that's why i'm only using the 6th gear for crusing since than ;-)

so when i receive my black.....are there any other hints/tipps on
what to do/ or what NOT to do, to make the 6-spd live longer?
looking for advice.

best regards,
Luke
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
525hp crank is like 414whp on mustang dyno. you should be fine, just dont floor it in 6th then. you shouldn't be able to floor it in top gear anyways unless your rpm's are pretty high, cause it will surge from the motor choking out from not being able to ingest the airflow.

btw 6 speed 4th gear does not go to 160mph lol.

Last edited by tscompusa2; Nov 25, 2010 at 01:13 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 01:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
525hp crank is like 414whp on mustang dyno. you should be fine, just dont floor it in 6th then. you shouldn't be able to floor it in top gear anyways unless your rpm's are pretty high, cause it will surge from the motor choking out from not being able to ingest the airflow.

btw 6 speed 4th gear does not go to 160mph lol.

I think he meant 160Kph,

But the 6 speeds are one of those unknowns TRE says 290 ft/lbs of torque and others say more or less. There are allot of members running 400+ ft/lbs but if you race or autocross it 1. cool off between runs and 2. dont slam gears or dump your clutch. The weakest from my understanding is not the 6th gear its the 3-4 its due to heat and in the 6 speed its the thinnest gears compaired to the 5 speed. If you want a decent built tranny goto shep he offers the 6 speed not and its like 1900 with the basic 4.09 final drive and I think almost 3k with the 4.11 final drive.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 02:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BEISSEN
I think he meant 160Kph,

But the 6 speeds are one of those unknowns TRE says 290 ft/lbs of torque and others say more or less. There are allot of members running 400+ ft/lbs but if you race or autocross it 1. cool off between runs and 2. dont slam gears or dump your clutch. The weakest from my understanding is not the 6th gear its the 3-4 its due to heat and in the 6 speed its the thinnest gears compaired to the 5 speed. If you want a decent built tranny goto shep he offers the 6 speed not and its like 1900 with the basic 4.09 final drive and I think almost 3k with the 4.11 final drive.
ya i knew he meant kmph i was just busting his *****. i didnt know the 6 speeds were that weak wow! only 290ft/lbs TRE says? no wonder everyone gets rid of them.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 02:05 AM
Former Sponsor

he meant he was accelerating in 4th gear up to 160mph since he maxed it out to 270km, i just read his post wrong. he worded it kinda awkward. started in 4th gear and went through the gears to 160 he should have said.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 02:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
ya i knew he meant kmph i was just busting his *****. i didnt know the 6 speeds were that weak wow! only 290ft/lbs TRE says? no wonder everyone gets rid of them.
Thats what TRE claims but in that case the stock setup would kill it honestly. But now that shep has stepped up things are differant. There are two many trannys dead that TRE built. But if you look at sheps gears OMG they are monsters. Also shep said the 6th is no issue and wont bother changeing it he is replaceing 3,4,5 and upgradeing the internals with more oil passage for cooling and might have a option on adding bungs for those who want to add a cooler to the tranny. He has had 2 cars out for testing and they were over the 600WHP mark on the 6 speed with good success. Now 5 speeds have a challenger and I dont need to spend 4k to swap over lol.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 05:36 AM
Evolving Member

I am on the same boat..
My red took a crash and they offered me cheap upgrade.. but i dont know if it is a real upgrade. I asked around alot of reputable posters here and I get 50/50 love between the red and the black..
i just decided to stay with the red cuz of my stock 6speed. My turbo should be here in 2 weeks cant wait.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As mentioned previosly it is torque that breaks stuff. The FP Black won't produce more torque per se, it will just hold torque to redline better than a smaller turbo (thus more hp). I believe the issue is more severe with the smaller turbos with massive torque spikes.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:04 AM
Evolving Member

^^^Dyno graph's i ve seen, Black seems like it make more tq than red..
Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by keath
I am on the same boat..
My red took a crash and they offered me cheap upgrade.. but i dont know if it is a real upgrade. I asked around alot of reputable posters here and I get 50/50 love between the red and the black..
i just decided to stay with the red cuz of my stock 6speed. My turbo should be here in 2 weeks cant wait.
Think of this is there a differance in IX turbos? The upgrade is going to be the same as a new one as they gut and machine a new turbo as they do a used one. So no cheap upgrade there as im also awaiting my new FP 84mm Red ported from them as well should not be long. The six speed if driven right and not like a tard should be fine. Its heat and people have shown the gears heated they warp and who are those people track users without cool off time and dragging the car without proper slipping and not enough cool off time for the gears. Also what power and.mode do you have shoot me a pmbwould like to compair to my setup keith.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by keath
^^^Dyno graph's i ve seen, Black seems like it make more tq than red..
Any turbo. Hats flows 68lbs a min will as the red is 56/8 and the sweet spot on a black is 5-6 psi higher then a red. RED=24-25PSI BLACK= 30+ to wake it up so yeah black for a Built motor and most likely tranny.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:11 AM
Evolving Member

Mods in my Sig..
i have been running red for a while... untill last month it decided to explode LOL
made about 525/465 on VDR 6 speed has done me no prob so far...
Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

Think of this is there a differance in IX turbos? The upgrade is going to be the same as a new one as they gut and machine a new turbo as they do a used one. So no cheap upgrade there as im also awaiting my new FP 84mm Red ported from them as well should not be long. The six speed if driven right and not like a tard should be fine. Its heat and people have shown the gears heated they warp and who are those people track users without cool off time and dragging the car without proper slipping and not enough cool off time for the gears. Also what power and.mode do you have shoot me a pmbwould like to compair to my setup keith.

I meant they offered me a cheap upgrade... since my turbo is already there
oh BTW red's sweet spot is not 25psi.. trust me it is 30+ i have tried both
Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any turbo. Hats flows 68lbs a min will as the red is 56/8 and the sweet spot on a black is 5-6 psi higher then a red. RED=24-25PSI BLACK= 30+ to wake it up so yeah black for a Built motor and most likely tranny.
I cannot understand what you are trying to say ? Have you already started celebrating Thanksgiving (ie have you been drinking)?

The 'sweet spot' for a FP Red is NOT 24 psi....There are a number of posts that compare the Red and Black - Black is bigger, lagger, and holds better / cooler boost up top - and thus makes more horsepower. Iirc, generally the Black makes about 20-40 who over the Red.

Last edited by cij911; Nov 25, 2010 at 06:20 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cij911
I cannot understand what you are trying to say ? Have you already started celebrating Thanksgiving (ie have you been drinking)?

The 'sweet spot' for a FP Red is NOT 24 psi....There are a number of posts that compare the Red and Black - Black is bigger, lagger, and holds better / cooler boost up top - and thus makes more horsepower. Iirc, generally the Black makes about 20-40 who over the Red.
Here is where I got it.

FP RED

22-24PSI Pump Gas

FP Black

Above 25 PSI

Now what mean they start opening up at this point and I will base my info from the manufature not a 3rd parts shop.

Quick Reply: FP-Black and stock 6-Spd......will it blend?