Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Double Pumper Impressions and ?'s

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2010, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know from past experience that I would run it low and not romp on it until about half a tnak later..........Now I may wait a full tank. Going from E to 93 isn't as bas as going the other direction I would imagine.

tcomp you have mail.

Last edited by SmurfZilla; Nov 28, 2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 09:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
A couple of observations ...

I recall some comments about potential issues arising due to a different orientation of the fuel pickup sock with some double pump arrangements. I don't have the parts sitting in front of me to compare (anyone?), but be aware of it. My understanding is this tends to create a lean situation when in a corner or a long sweeper while low on fuel, so keep this in mind, or else.

My fuel gauge needle stopped moving at the 1/4 tank mark since installing my double pump setup. This caused me to run out of fuel, and I was luckily able to coast into a gas station. I suspect it's a problem with the float (I've not looked at it yet), and I see I am not the only one having it. I advise everyone to check to see if they have the same problem. If not, you may find yourself on the side of the road. Tscompusa, if you've experienced and fixed this, I suggest you make a new discussion to alert users about it, and describe the fix.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i havent done the fuel system in my evo yet, but when i did my sti it was almost impossible to get the assembly in with the float attached. i unbolted the float, shoved it in the hole seperate then attached it once everything was in the hole. not the easiest thing to do, but better than a bent float. i imagine the float detaches on the evo too. food for thought.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
bringing this one back from the dead.

Ted,
I get down to just less than 1/3 tank close to a 1/4 tank and I'm out of fuel. My float isn't accurate. Siphone issues I assume.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 01:27 PM
EvoM Guru

If you are using a Fullblown unit, see my posts #75 and 77 here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ould-know.html

My concern is that the FB unit may not allow the same sweep of float travel as the factory assembly. I haven't yet checked mine, but if you feel this applies to you, check your Main tank float travel and resistance using the directions from factory manual (see below).
Attached Thumbnails Double Pumper Impressions and ?'s-service-manual-fuel-floats1-copy.jpg   Double Pumper Impressions and ?'s-service-manual-fuel-floats2-copy.jpg  
Old Feb 8, 2011, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was having similar issues with my FB unit as stated above. After taking the sending unit out I measured the gas tank deapth in relation to the bottom of the sock and sure enough there was about a 3.5 inch difference. I re-adjusted the fuel pumps to the point of almost being in contact with the bottom of the tank and sure enough, problem alleviated.

Also I should mention that on my setup when I first took it out and inspected it, noticed the one of the filter socks wasnt allowing the float to travel all the way down. With the pumps repositioned I no longer have the stuck fuel guage issue.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 01:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Bingo. I thought so.

Thanks for providing that valuable info.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

i made sure the pumps were the same depth as the stock setup before i installed mine. i have had 0 issues! i have ran it below E. also i made sure i had the siphon installed exactly like it was on the stock unit. when i drain my 93 to switch to E85 there is not even a drop in the right side tank. i didnt know about these issues, i just paid attention.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Sweet. Thanks guys. Thanks for the doc's Ted. I'll get it all setup tonight and report back soon
Old Feb 8, 2011, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by browningderek
i made sure the pumps were the same depth as the stock setup before i installed mine. i have had 0 issues! i have ran it below E. also i made sure i had the siphon installed exactly like it was on the stock unit. when i drain my 93 to switch to E85 there is not even a drop in the right side tank. i didnt know about these issues, i just paid attention.
In previous attempts the assembly was always too long... This time the assembly is shorter than before... didn't even think about it. I assumed it was a siphon issue and a difference in float levels between the tanks.

Last edited by R/TErnie; Feb 8, 2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 02:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
I assumed ...
Oops, there's that dirty word again ...
Old Feb 8, 2011, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

HA! Thanks again Ted.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I can tell you on my fabbed DP, I do not have this issue at all. I ran it with the fuel light on for 10 miles on 93 and no sputtering or anything... I am positive my socks are sitting really close the floor of the tank as well though...one thing to add as well I am running the TedB spec'd drilled siphon and running a hobbs switch to the second pump and it causes no issues pulling fuel from the saddle tank... on the oem wiring and 1 pump at idle, my FPgauge reads 40psi...

Last edited by Fast_Freddie; Feb 8, 2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Very good info. Thanks guys
Old Feb 8, 2011, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Does Ted still modify the siphon tubes. I read a post about that a while back. I've always thought about doing that now that the car is down for the winter and I'm trying to fix all the bugs.

Quick Reply: Double Pumper Impressions and ?'s