Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Who's running the new HKS Cams 274 278

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2011, 03:13 PM
OX
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
I'm saying they are not worth the money. Their are a lot of other cams that out preform. btw my "custom" cams are 274* I/E.

Mikey
Look, a crapload of us got these cams basically for free when we picked up the HKS turbo. None of "us" care that you may not like them. They have to be better than stock 8 cams, which is what I have now.

Originally Posted by meckert
Dropped the new HKS’s in with the same settings, car idles smooth as stock—doubled checked all settings multiple times to be sure I didn’t miss anything and everything adds up. I would have expected with 14* more exhaust duration and an 11mm lift that I would have picked up some more lope—but the car idles better then stock—tone of exhaust is smooth as glass—vacuum picked up a little from about 15ibs to 17 lbs

I hate the dopey lope cams. When I picked up my HKS turbo @ Ivey's, I was telling them I would probably go with S1's since I hate the idle lope so much.
One of his mechanics had the new HKS cams in his car, so he started it for me. Even warmed up (just off high idle anyway), it was much better than I expected.
Good enough that I am going to give them a try. My 2 cents.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the input guys--and thanks for trying to keep this on topic-- As for the cams "Free" is always good since they cam with the turbo--HKS make a good cam hands down. So, anyone else have a comment of the idle and performace as compared to their old set ups?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 03:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 332 Likes on 132 Posts
Careful, Mikey is a moderator now

watch out for that banhammer :P
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:17 PM
kpr
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just ordered a set, I'll post what i think after my install. Why did i get them? Because my other HKS cams look brand new after 15k on them. Cams are more about what you loss, You can not gain everything
Old Mar 3, 2011, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fugiwara
You call HKS the worst company ever, go back up and read, this statement isn't gonna help the topic.

This thread is about the new 274/278 cams, have you put them in your car and test them? do you know anything about them? if not dont go off topic.

I'm warning you not to disagree with the fp black HP "world record holder." You will see the ban stick come out. Ask me how I know

Last edited by way2qik; Mar 3, 2011 at 05:37 AM.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by way2qik
I'm warning you not to disagree with the fp black HP "world record holder." You will see the ban stick come out. Ask me how I know
Surely---we aren't going here. This is an open forum for discussion and sharing ideas--. Nothing here has warrented being banned for anything. Surley, not being banned for trying to stay on topic. Lets keep it civil, focused and on topic and not personal and somehow I feel we will all get along without the idle threats and fears of being banned. No, I am not a moderator--thinking I might be rt though.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
274/278 hks cams

I previously had a USDM motor and i was running off 3 cylinders. I swapped a JDM motor. Long story short im upgrading by porting out my intake manifold,exhaust manifold, o2 housing, and im using my stock 8 turbo, 880cc inj,fuel rail, aem ems, full turboback exhaust, stage 2 clutch, walbro 255lp fuel pump and boost gauge. I will be getting tuned on pump gas and i will let you see the results when im done with the tune. I just purchased the 274/278 cams and i tried to get a review. There are currently no reviews so, i guess i will have to be the test subject.
Old May 16, 2011, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

OK, well I'll try and give this topic some traction. I did the install--cams really seemed tame to me, got the car tuned and they idled like stock and for me seemed to lack some initial punch on the throttle I was used to with 272/264 split duration cams I was running.. So I figured with the new cams, different turbo and different power curve---well I would just have to settle on lacking that mid range punch I was looking for and had grown fond of. I was running the cams straight up-- had tried +2, -1 without a tune and that wasn't providing the punch I was looking for even though I ran these setting with the other cams with success. Well, today I had some time, reset the intake cam to +2.5 and left the exhaust cam set at 0 just to see what it would do. Idle got a little beat to it--that was nice to hear, and the results....well, lets just says its back to nomal. Nice mid range punch, instant throttle response at speed, boost comes up fast and moves to full boost immediatly. So if your looking for a little more mid rnage from these cams with the HKS turbo-- advance the intake cam and it will come alive.. Thats not to say it wasn't nice before but I hate giving up drivability in the hunt for more power...

Last edited by meckert; May 16, 2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by meckert
OK, well I'll try and give this topic some traction. I did the install--cams really seemed tame to me, got the car tuned and they idled like stock and for me seemed to lack some initial punch on the throttle I was used to with 272/264 split duration cams I was running.. So I figured with the new cams, different turbo and different power curve---well I would just have to settle on lacking that mid range punch I was looking for and had grown fond of. I was running the cams straight up-- had tried +2, -1 without a tune and that wasn't providing the punch I was looking for even though I ran these setting with the other cams with success. Well, today I had some time, reset the intake cam to +2.5 and left the exhaust cam set at 0 just to see what it would do. Idle got a little beat to it--that was nice to hear, and the results....well, lets just says its back to nomal. Nice mid range punch, instant throttle response at speed, boost comes up fast and moves to full boost immediatly. So if your looking for a little more mid rnage from these cams with the HKS turbo-- advance the intake cam and it will come alive.. Thats not to say it wasn't nice before but I hate giving up drivability in the hunt for more power...
do they feel more powerful up top?
Old Jun 28, 2011, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Is anyone running the HKS adjustable cam gears with these new cams?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Craig King
Is anyone running the HKS adjustable cam gears with these new cams?
If you look up post# 23 you'll see.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Have this set up with 2.3 and 50 trim...i cannot objectify gains except it has more pull up top 7k to 8k rpm
Old Jul 21, 2011, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fugiwara
do they feel more powerful up top?
I'm not lacking power anywhere. Midrange and low are strong, upper end is very quick. If you wanted more power up top, run them straight up and it pulls like a train, but as stated you will give up some midrange-- that was something I didnt want to give up myself. Nice cams all around or so i think.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

is your current setting still idling like stock?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by a4rontran
is your current setting still idling like stock?
No, it has a little lope to it...somewhere between stock and the old 272/264 set up I had. Slight enough that when running your a/c there is almost no idle sound at all--so very little. Run the cams straight up and there is no lope--just like stock.

Quick Reply: Who's running the new HKS Cams 274 278