Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 9 Overboosting Help

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2010, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo 9 Overboosting Help

Hey guys I'm having a problem with my Evo 9, Recently over the past couple weeks when I WOT the car it over boosts to about like 21lbs of boost and the car feels like your hitting a brick wall. I have searched other threads and they describe the problem as like the ecu"boost cut" or something like that. So I figured that this "boost cut" is happening because of my mods and the cold N.Y. weather.

So I decided that I would install a electronic boost controller so that I could lower the boost. From what I was gathering on forums is that the stock wastegate psi is around 11 to 12lbs so I installed the ebc properly and capped off the stock boost controller on the car and left it plugged in to the ecu harness as the tutorials insisted so that no codes are thrown. So now I'm all finished with the install and go to take the car for a test drive, I left the ebc off so that it would work only on the stock internal wastegate pressure I WOT the car threw the gears and its boosting to like 22 lbs again and hitting boost cut. I do not know whats going on at all is it possible that the wastegate actuator is broken somehow? I just don't know. The whole point of the ebc was to just lower the boost down a couple of psi due to the cold weather from the stock 17 -18lbs (spike around 20 sometimes) but even on wastegate psi it is still hitting high around 20 - 21.

Any insight would be appreciated thanks.

FYI, here are my mods
- 3" down pipe
- 3" straight pipe with a muffler
- 3" upgraded inter cooler
Old Nov 28, 2010, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
tune

Do you have a tune? If not you need one yesterday!
Old Nov 28, 2010, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

I will be getting a tune soon, but regardless why would the stock wastegate boost to damn near 21 lbs of boost.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn the ebc on then and turn it down. Get a professional tune.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GG_9_SE
Turn the ebc on then and turn it down. Get a professional tune.
Ebc cannot lower wastgate spring pressure, I will get a tune when I figure out why the wastegate is not working properly I was hoping someone could answer that but get a tune fixes everything thanks.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you check the spark plug gap??

IN winter, we need to check the gap. Mine felt like boost cut,but it was spark plug gap was too much. tighten the gap and see.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

are you sure you removed the stock boost pills from the solinoid lines?
Old Nov 28, 2010, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you remove the stock pipe work to the actuator and turbo nipple, and replace with two new pipes?
If so pull the pipe of the BCS to the actuator, use a cycle pump with gauge to see at what pressure it starts to open, should be around 12 psi if it an OEM actuator.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

Yes I replaced all the lines between the turbo, wastegate and solenoid I am 100% positive there correct, I guess I will try what you said gray with the pump.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 01:56 PM
Account Disabled

First off 19 psi is stock boost with a taper of 14 psi till redline..I would just run a line from the turbo to the wastegate and see what happens you should hit like 14 psi when the gate cracks open.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO IXMR
First off 19 psi is stock boost with a taper of 14 psi till redline..I would just run a line from the turbo to the wastegate and see what happens you should hit like 14 psi when the gate cracks open.
Yea, I will try that just incase something is funky between the solenoid and the wg and tc. But it seems like ultimatley if seeing 19psi is the norm then it will eventually need a tune for this kind of weather. I just cant fathom the fact why if the wg is rated at 13 lbs it would ever see like 19lbs but thanks for all the input and I will just do some more tests and checks and then get it tuned.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 02:10 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by amsevokid
Yea, I will try that just incase something is funky between the solenoid and the wg and tc. But it seems like ultimatley if seeing 19psi is the norm then it will eventually need a tune for this kind of weather. I just cant fathom the fact why if the wg is rated at 13 lbs it would ever see like 19lbs but thanks for all the input and I will just do some more tests and checks and then get it tuned.
Best way to do tests is to half throttle it and see if it spikes before going wot..Is the car on the stock map or had been flashed before??
Old Nov 28, 2010, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

Best way to do tests is to half throttle it and see if it spikes before going wot..Is the car on the stock map or had been flashed before??
No it would never spike at half throttle, Car is stock ecu has never been flashed yet.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 02:23 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by amsevokid
No it would never spike at half throttle, Car is stock ecu has never been flashed yet.
Ok cause when my evo was stock it never hit boost cut before ever in the winter and you know nyc get real cold.Did you buy your car used or new??
Old Nov 28, 2010, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

Ok cause when my evo was stock it never hit boost cut before ever in the winter and you know nyc get real cold.Did you buy your car used or new??
Bought used from dealership with like 35k on it. I was reading in other threads that adding like the intercooler and the catless exhaust without a tune could make it hit the boost cut when its colder out. Cause it was really never a problem during summer and start of fall
The following users liked this post:
Kevoix (May 24, 2016)

Quick Reply: Evo 9 Overboosting Help