Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Angled shifter extension: wtf

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2010, 12:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Angled shifter extension: wtf

Where to find... I have been looking for a while, there is a ton of honda stuff available in m10x1.5, but the evo is m10x1.25. If you know of a product available stick a link here or PM me with a link if you must. Im simply looking for this and cant find one. Dont get into a technical discussion of who what when where and why.

Appreciate the help folks. I could make my own, but I would prefer the fit and finish of something along the lines of the TWM but angled. I do not see thier site including an angled option. ...
Old Dec 1, 2010, 08:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Damnit I made one. It didn't turn out too bad. A little finish work and it'll be sweet. How do I achieve the burnt metal effect ? I started to get some from the mapp torch and some from the welding but can't control it
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, what did you use for material. I had tried to find the stuff to make one for my STI. Basically a long coupler nut and threaded rod. Couldn't find stainless couplers or threaded rod in the right size...so I gave up.

You won't be able to get a pretty heat coloration unless your using stainless or titanium. Mild steel just doesn't color like that. As far a controlling it....just practice on some scrap material. You'll get a feel for what kind of heat you need to get the blue/purple to turn. I did my old Invidia exhaust tip and it turned out sweet.

Oxy/Acetalene torch is what you need.

Post up some pics when you finish it man. Hell...post up some pics of your progress now. I'd be interested in doing this as well.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Check out CircuitHero.com Its not angled, but its nice. I have one on my car.

http://www.circuithero.com/products.php
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Ill send pics up in a miute. I used a bolt, and two nuts welded them together because I couldnt find a coupling nut in m10x125. It didnt turn out bad, and I had it polished up nice and silky smooth. But I heated it up and it looks dingy. Another few minutes with some wet paper and it will look good. Material was hardened steel, which is no longer as hardened from the welding process... but meh

Last edited by 211Ratsbud; Dec 3, 2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Ill try and make another one that will be a bit cleaner, but ive been sanding and polishing this one. Next one I will lop off the threads on my OEM shifter so that I can start the bend earlier, and make the overall height a tad shorter, but still end with the same effect

Old Dec 4, 2010, 08:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Just bought a driver's side binary lowering bracket this should be sweet.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

Not bad man. What was the length of the bolt?

How did you determine that the shifter would be straight once tightened down? Must of tacked it in place...

So, it's 1 bolt and 2 nuts stacked....doing it. A coupler would look so much cleaner but whatever...it's awesome!...doing it.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 10:39 AM
Account Disabled

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
Where to find... I have been looking for a while, there is a ton of honda stuff available in m10x1.5, but the evo is m10x1.25. If you know of a product available stick a link here or PM me with a link if you must. Im simply looking for this and cant find one. Dont get into a technical discussion of who what when where and why.

Appreciate the help folks. I could make my own, but I would prefer the fit and finish of something along the lines of the TWM but angled. I do not see thier site including an angled option. ...
Send me an email to frank@twmperformance.com with what you would like.

I've made some of these with different angles for previous customers. I can send you some pictures of what I did and I'm sure one of them would suit your needs!

Thanks,

Frank
Team TWM Performance
Old Dec 7, 2010, 06:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Lol I completely remake the shifter today after work . Added 1" to the bottom of the shifter, raised thecage up about 3/4" and welded the angle I wanted ... gonna post a pic.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 06:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Old Dec 7, 2010, 06:47 PM
EvoM Guru

I had to trim the cage similarly to how the b &m short shifter requires. Id guess that's least 45% reduction if I didn't add length to the top. So ill guestimate 20ish percent reduction overall. If anyone wants to know for sure ill measure
Old Dec 8, 2010, 04:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Old Dec 10, 2010, 09:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Wow, my bad for the large pics, I posted them from my phone. I just installed the seat lowering brackets. HUUUUGE DIFFERENCE especially with the extended steering wheel, custom shifter, and seat brackets. Its now way more comfortable for somone around 6'+.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 11:29 AM

cool idea

Quick Reply: Angled shifter extension: wtf