Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Guru's Oil Help Please

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2010, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by alanarias22
the only oil im aware of that is 100% synthetic is ams oil,
Then you are very very misinformed. Research man seriously.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 05:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would also not recommend a 20W50 weight for a stock block. There is no need for that heavy weight an oil on a stock motor. If you are pushing things on the stock block I would recommend a high zinc/phos full synthetic like AMSOIL 10W30.

If you have a built motor, then there is a much higher possibility that you need a heavier weight motor oil and you can consult your engine builder for their recommendation. I run 20W50 in my motor during the summer, but the 10W30 AMSoil in the winter time because a 20W at cold crank is too heavy, IMO. I have run the Brad Penn 20W50 and AMSoil equivalent, and have oil analyses on the BP but not the AMSoil yet.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 05:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Then you are very very misinformed. Research man seriously.
Completely agreed.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been looking into using the M1 High Mileage. I am researching this. Even though my car has 42,000 miles and would not be considered "high mileage" the M1 HM oil seems to have a more robust package when compared to other M1 products. The HM has an SL API rating so it retains more ZDDP than the SM rated oils at 1000ppm vs 800 for SM. It also is PAO based not group 3 from what I have read, and it has a higher HTHS rating of 3.62. So it is on the thicker side so to speak of the 30W class of oils. On par with Oils Like German Castrol 0w30.

I am looking into this and if I can obtain more info on the subject I will let everyone know. I have been hitting up BITOG web site for info for the past few weeks, as well as emailing M1.

On paper the 10/30 HM M1 seems to be a solid choice for our Evo's running OEM blocks and OEM turbos. While it does have a HTHS rating of 3.6 vs 3.2 of other M1 Oils, in the same grade, that would be beneficial on a car with bolt ons and tuning while not being excessive.

I will keep researching. To boot the M1 HM is $24 for 5qts at WallyWorld.

Only way for me to really know is to do more oil tests and compare it to the other oils I have tested in years past. That will be a real testimate. This oil seems to be very well loved on the BITOG web site, and I am sure it is for a reason.

Last edited by Jeffs2006EVOIX; Dec 17, 2010 at 09:26 AM.