Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Knock, Knock...Who's there? Your Engine mother******

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2010, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Ah ok, that explains it.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bump for help?

what could cause one clean cylinder, and what symptoms should I look for to verify the cause?
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When coolant enters the combustion chamber and "sort of" steam cleans your piston. Blown head gasket is usally the cause.

Look for low coolant...and a clean piston.

Small leaks you might not see any vapor coming from the tail pipe.

Last edited by BiFfMaN; Dec 13, 2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BiFfMaN
When coolant enters the combustion chamber and "sort of" steam cleans your piston. Blown head gasket is usally the cause.

Look for low coolant...and a clean piston.

Small leaks you might not see any vapor coming from the tail pipe.
this is what I've heard, and I topped off my coolant, and have been watching it for almost 2 weeks now with no change that I can see in the level.

also, if it were a head gasket leak, would I be seeing oil in the coolant, and coolant temps spike on data logs?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the usual symptoms of a lifted head i see are 1)car doesn't run very good, i.e. idle problems, knock etc. but the biggest most obvious symptom is when you shut the car off you can hear the coolant boiling. i've never been able to see the temp gauge spike because its a heavily damped gauge (you have to be seriously low on coolant for that thing to move a millimeter). if your overflow overflows thats the most obvious sign of a lifted head. but yours could be a very small problem and not getting to that point yet.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

Take your car to a smog shop or a shop that can pick up hydrocarbons and have them draw up the air above the coolant reservoir and radiator cap.

That 1 clean cylinder indicates a compromised head gasket to me.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
the usual symptoms of a lifted head i see are 1)car doesn't run very good, i.e. idle problems, knock etc. but the biggest most obvious symptom is when you shut the car off you can hear the coolant boiling. i've never been able to see the temp gauge spike because its a heavily damped gauge (you have to be seriously low on coolant for that thing to move a millimeter). if your overflow overflows thats the most obvious sign of a lifted head. but yours could be a very small problem and not getting to that point yet.
on the data logs the coolant temp stayed pretty much the same throughout the runs, and on every run. I'm going to check the coolant level again after work, but the level doesn't seem to be changing and I haven't seen any evidence of overflow yet.

oh, and I pm'ed you back earlier.

Last edited by ODUB; Dec 14, 2010 at 12:26 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 04:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
How much is a new knock sensor? At your mileage with knock issues I would have eliminated that right away.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
New sensor is ~90$. I replaced mine per my tuner's recommendation when I was getting 20+ counts of knock even while cruising and all knock went away!
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evoryder
How much is a new knock sensor? At your mileage with knock issues I would have eliminated that right away.
that is the next thing to get replaced. i'm waiting on my tactrix cable to come in so I can replace that, and try race gas to see if the knock goes away. there's a couple other things i want to try, but have no way to tell if they are working until my damn cable gets here
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Hmmm, so no real resolution yet? I am still waiting to see some logs my friend

To answer question about heat shield for intake kits, nothing other than the AEM comes to mind right now.

aaron
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Hmmm, so no real resolution yet? I am still waiting to see some logs my friend

To answer question about heat shield for intake kits, nothing other than the AEM comes to mind right now.

aaron
I posted the ones I have on the first page. I'm still waiting on my tactrix cable so I can get some new ones. The guys who recently tuned my car were supposed to send me the logs of the car before and after the tune so I could look at them, but they still haven't. as soon as they send those, i'll be able to post so you can see what the car was doing.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

I will look again
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

okay, I just checked my oil level, and it's fine. there's also no evidence of water in the oil. the coolant level is exactly where I put it almost two weeks ago. there was no spiking of coolant temps in any of the logs I still have, so I'm starting to rule out the head gasket.

I'm going to do another compression check before I go to work today to check that again...

what else could clean a cylinder like that?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ODUB
okay, I just checked my oil level, and it's fine. there's also no evidence of water in the oil. the coolant level is exactly where I put it almost two weeks ago. there was no spiking of coolant temps in any of the logs I still have, so I'm starting to rule out the head gasket.

I'm going to do another compression check before I go to work today to check that again...

what else could clean a cylinder like that?
Going lean, but the plug would show obvious signs of high temp.

Quick Reply: Knock, Knock...Who's there? Your Engine mother******