Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Wierd problem... I need your help!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2010, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Don Q
I forgot to mention it, but it has a walbro 255.
Just saw this, this may also be a problem for you running the Red... Do the plugs first and go from there, eliminate one thing at a time starting with the cheapest solution which is plugs.

If you are running anything besides pump I would say your out of fuel pressure and may need to increase the it with an FPR and/or injectors or do a double pumper.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

Ok guys thanks alot for your help and information. I tested the car again and this time the problem re-appeared. It seems to be kind of intermitent. Earlier today I did some runs ans nothing happened. It just kept pulling strong in 3rd. Then after a few hours I tested it again and it did it in all the 3 runs I did. When it was about to hit 6,000 it feels
like a fuel cut. As soon as it did it the AFR went to 12.7 and then immediately went back to normal and kept pulling. Also during the first few runs at the dyno, the car was acting normal. As soon as the timming and AFRs where smoothly tuned the car started showing the problem.

The car is being tuned with 93 pump gas. As for the plugs they were brand new denso plugs. However, as I said before, the car was having the same problem even before the new mods/tune. The problem was I thought it was tune related and that it would get fixed with the new tune .

Last edited by Don Q; Dec 15, 2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Incidentally, is yours the original configuration of the Red with the stock sized 64mm compressor inlet, or the upgraded, ported antisurge housing?

Last edited by sparky; Dec 15, 2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 03:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
if your current tuner doesnt know how to adjust or disable fuel cut you need a new tuner. if it was stuttering inbetween shifting i would say no lift to shift was turned on and the car was being shifted with lifting, but seems its fuel cut to me.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Are you still running the original plug wires? You might want to try one of those COP setups. What gap are you running on the plugs?
Old Dec 15, 2010, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sparky
Incidentally, is yours the original configuration of the Red with the stock sized 64mm compressor inlet, or the upgraded, ported antisurge housing?
It's he ported 80mm!
Old Dec 15, 2010, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
if your current tuner doesnt know how to adjust or disable fuel cut you need a new tuner. if it was stuttering inbetween shifting i would say no lift to shift was turned on and the car was being shifted with lifting, but seems its fuel cut to me.
Well, I'm pretty sure my tuner is not the problem. He is one of the best, if not the best in PR. It does feel like it cuts fuel, but I guess that there can be a hand full of problems that feel like that :/. Also the car wasn't stuttering between shifts. It only does it when it gets to about 6,000 rpms at WOT .
Old Dec 15, 2010, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sparky
Are you still running the original plug wires? You might want to try one of those COP setups. What gap are you running on the plugs?
I don't know the gap. They were installed by the shop! COP? Could you give me more info on this? I'm not so good with acronyms .
Old Dec 15, 2010, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

Old Dec 15, 2010, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
COP= Coil On Plug.

The evo runs two ignition coils split between the 4 cylinders. Most modern performance cars run what is called a coil on plug system. There's no plug wires and the coil packs are mounted directly on top of the plugs.

These guys have the best prices. They put together COP kits for the evo made out of currently available parts from other cars that are very reasonable. http://www.spoolinup.com/

COPs just give you a better spark and reliability. They're a must have for higher horsepower applications.

The way your problem is intermittent like you describe and the way it's persisted through different tunes and parts I would guess that it's a bad connection somewhere or a part is on it's way out but not gone totally yet, like a coil possibly.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 04:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Are you throwing any Check Engine Lights? Hitting fuel cut would most likely throw overboost. You can pull the code and figure it out.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 06:40 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have your tuner check the fuel cut load... is he tuning on V7 ? Tell him to switch the fuel cut x 2 and raise the load limit.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Don Q
Well, I'm pretty sure my tuner is not the problem. He is one of the best, if not the best in PR. It does feel like it cuts fuel, but I guess that there can be a hand full of problems that feel like that :/. Also the car wasn't stuttering between shifts. It only does it when it gets to about 6,000 rpms at WOT .
A number of things can cause this. What DV are you using? Is the WGA upgraded?
Old Dec 20, 2010, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jason@Spec-Ops
Have your tuner check the fuel cut load... is he tuning on V7 ? Tell him to switch the fuel cut x 2 and raise the load limit.
Haven't talked to him. I've been really busy and I decided to take a break and forget about the car a couple of days, but I'll be calling him today and will tell him that. Thanks.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 06MRV8Killer
A number of things can cause this. What DV are you using? Is the WGA upgraded?
DV? Can you explain what this is? Yes the WGA is the 25psi upgrade on the FP Red.

Quick Reply: Wierd problem... I need your help!