Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Misfiring Issue I Searched.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Partial throttle is nasty though but can't go full... pissing me off
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So no leaks? Vac lines are all good? Couplers are good? Maf is in working order? Plugs are fresh? Intake has no restriction? Boost controller is hooked up correctly coils are good?
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd do a boost leak test & have an experienced tuner check over your fuel & timing tables.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Lol I'm an experienced tuner just not with evos. ill check again for boost leaks sunday .. only thing it could be.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

And think imma change back to my factory coil packs.. these aftermarkets might not be good. Also the gap might be too tight.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check with the other evo owners in your area and borrow a cop just to test it out. also check out your maf screen.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same problem 2 weeks ago and replaced my plugs. (using BPR8es) And all I did was switch them out. I gaped the new ones to .26 and no problems. Car was breaking up higher in the power band as your issue and it also broke up when I had to accelerate some times.

Also, on another note what type of coil pack are you running. Is it a 4 channel coil pack you are runnin? (spark tech, spooling up, etc. etc.) Our model evos are not set up/made for a 4 channel set up unless you fully converted it. It takes more then just giving each spark plug it's own coil pack. If everything alse is good go back to OEM coil packs and see what happens.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

well reason i stated the battery could be bad is because it has actually helped a few people.
i first learned that from al from dynoflash. he had a car that would miss under wot but would be fine cruising. he checked everything and it all looked fine. swapped the battery and bam, problem fixed. the battery had a dead cell or something like that was wasnt supplying a good ground or something like that.

i thought you had checked the obvious first like boost leaks and vac leaks.
if everything checked out fine then it could possibly have been the battery. but in the case it wasnt, so there has to be something you overlooked.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well u said you had your battery tested...and since uve done the basics, have you checked your charging system with a tester... so you can test the alternator and make sure its performing under load...???
Old Dec 17, 2010, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kevmac3685
I had the same problem 2 weeks ago and replaced my plugs. (using BPR8es) And all I did was switch them out. I gaped the new ones to .26 and no problems. Car was breaking up higher in the power band as your issue and it also broke up when I had to accelerate some times.

Also, on another note what type of coil pack are you running. Is it a 4 channel coil pack you are runnin? (spark tech, spooling up, etc. etc.) Our model evos are not set up/made for a 4 channel set up unless you fully converted it. It takes more then just giving each spark plug it's own coil pack. If everything alse is good go back to OEM coil packs and see what happens.
Aftermarket meaning ebay lol. Still the same factory set up. I got a buddy with an evo 8 Ill swap to his coilpacks and sparkplugs on monday as well and try that...
Old Dec 17, 2010, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

Ill get the alternator checked as well... And just for the hell of it Imma buy some new plugs and (BR8ES napa has to order the BPR's) and gap them to .28 to see what happens. I had the issue before when I just bought the evo and the issue was I gapped my plugs to tight I pulled them out and regapped them to .28 and it was fine... I just know any other car with a big turbo likes to run a smaller gap on stock ignition... Ah we shall see... Theres gotta be something Im overlooking and Im sure its something stupid.....I gotta work tomorrow till 12 so Ill have updates On sunday...In other news I got my wastegate to open up! It just seems this big *** turbo likes to creep... never ran into that issue on a EWG on a Subaru.. Also my car sounds like a Honda now haha.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:21 AM
Evolving Member

Figured Ide chime in with an update... Found one problem which someone pointed out which was fuel cut. Im hitting well over 319 load and I searched and found the delay trick so I did that and now I can honestly say Im having an ignition problem. Im meeting up with my friend later on in the afternoon and we are gonna swap coilpacks and wires and do a boost leak test etc. But itleast one issue was fixed!
Old Dec 20, 2010, 06:28 AM
Account Disabled

{Pats self on back}

Plugs should be gapped to about .022 to .024

Coils may or may not be the problem, but I'd think with only running 20 psi, an ignition upgrade isn't the issue, but will be soon.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZanarkO
Figured Ide chime in with an update... Found one problem which someone pointed out which was fuel cut. Im hitting well over 319 load and I searched and found the delay trick so I did that and now I can honestly say Im having an ignition problem. Im meeting up with my friend later on in the afternoon and we are gonna swap coilpacks and wires and do a boost leak test etc. But itleast one issue was fixed!

Good to hear. Maybe I should check a few things out since I had this problem a few weeks ago lol.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Do u have the factory spark plug cover on the motor? I had misfiring problems in my 03 and throwing codes. Once I removed the factory cover and replaced it with a carbon fiber one it stopped. A buddy of mine said it hadppened to him as well and it has to do with the metal rings where the bolts go through to keep from cracking the plastic. Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Misfiring Issue I Searched.