Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

I cant tell if my exhaust manifold has been ported

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2010 | 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Exclamation I cant tell if my exhaust manifold has been ported

Sup yall,
To make a long story short I purchased a Buschur ported exhaust manifold from another board member. Before I installed it I decided to go a different direction and I purchased a tubular manifold. Well, I took the "oem" manifold off my car and it appears to be indentical with the Buschur ported manifold?!? I have them side by side and they look identical. I know the Buschur unit is legit. I'm more interested about the one that came off my car because Im going to sell it and Im sure it worh a little more if its ported.

Is there a way that I can tell with the naked eye?
I can measure the ports but I dont know the diameter of the ports on an oem manifold.

*Sidenote* I purchased my car used years ago, so its quite possible that the previous owner upgraded the exhaust manifold. Especially since the car has a 2005 turbo on it and its a 2003.
Old Dec 23, 2010 | 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Do you have spare gaskets? Check inlets and outlets against both manifolds. A ported manifold should match the gaskets very well, where a non ported will show significant metal exposed through the gasket.
Old Dec 23, 2010 | 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 8UpUrV8
Do you have spare gaskets? Check inlets and outlets against both manifolds. A ported manifold should match the gaskets very well, where a non ported will show significant metal exposed through the gasket.
a ported manifold would not match the ports on the gaskets, that would be way too much material and would kill the benefits.

you could try and clean the manifold a little bit and see if it is smooth inside and if there is any scarring of the metal inside
Old Dec 23, 2010 | 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Interested in your results as I too have a manifold that I'm unsure of.