Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tranfer Case fuild is light Purple HELP

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2010, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tranfer Case fuild is light Purple HELP

i have a shep stage 2 TC, with Redline it has been in the car for about 10,000 miles.. i drained it and it is PURPLE WTF
Old Dec 18, 2010, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How did you break in your tc? How often did you do the fluid changes when you got the tc built? Im not sure if transmissions and transfer case gears are like rear diffs, but new gears in those have phosphate coatings in them when new. The first few changes the fluid will look freakishly purple/grey. The idea is to keep changing the fluid out the first few miles often enough to get that crap out of there.

IF you have changed your fluid before and are just now experienciing this fluid color, then maybe you have something wrong with your tc internals.
fyi, I dont care what the owners manual says, 10k between fluid intervals is too much. I like to Follow TRE's service intervals.http://www.teamrip.com/transfer_case...roceedure.html

Last edited by TommiM; Dec 18, 2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
It might be Redline Heavy Shockproof. It starts out pink. Not sure if it turns purple. I seem to recall Shep likes the shockproof.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
How did you break in your tc? How often did you do the fluid changes when you got the tc built? Im not sure if transmissions and transfer case gears are like rear diffs, but new gears in those have phosphate coatings in them when new. The first few changes the fluid will look freakishly purple/grey. The idea is to keep changing the fluid out the first few miles often enough to get that crap out of there.

IF you have changed your fluid before and are just now experienciing this fluid color, then maybe you have something wrong with your tc internals.
fyi, I dont care what the owners manual says, 10k between fluid intervals is too much. I like to Follow TRE's service intervals.http://www.teamrip.com/transfer_case...roceedure.html
I don't know about aftermarket/upgraded/rebuilt diffs, but I've been changing my drivetrain fluids every 30k miles like the manual says, and all of mine are still in perfect shape as expensive as these fluids are, and as much of a pain as it is to do this on jackstands, bottles, and hand pumps, 5k miles seems a bit unnecessary unless you're using the car for track 80-100% of the time
Old Dec 18, 2010, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TommiM

Good FAQ to fallow, my rebuilt trans and upgraded t-case will be here this week and ill be fallowing all of these instructions. I would put money that the fluid just needs to be changed to the OP
Old Dec 18, 2010, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ODUB
I don't know about aftermarket/upgraded/rebuilt diffs, but I've been changing my drivetrain fluids every 30k miles like the manual says, and all of mine are still in perfect shape as expensive as these fluids are, and as much of a pain as it is to do this on jackstands, bottles, and hand pumps, 5k miles seems a bit unnecessary unless you're using the car for track 80-100% of the time
well my evo usually does except for the moment where its just been doing dd duties. TRE built my diff so I follow his maintenance schedule and recommended fluids.