Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

I used Mobile 1 Synthetic. Car now leaks.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2003, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by KK
Lightsped,

I noticed on my Evo that the original crush washer was painted and press right onto the drain plug of the Evo from the factory. The first oil change I did, I couldn't even find it so I though it just fell into the pan and placed another washer on there.

I then got the same drops off the pan afterwards, so I re changed the oil and found that the new washer had broken. That's when I realized the old washer was there, removed it, and redid the oil change. That should fix your problem.

Mark
I think thats it. The old crush washer is really crushed on there and it seems like its part of the bolt. Thats why you probably did not see it. I think you put a new washer over that crushed one and that maybe left a really small gap. That could be the cause for a drop or two.

Make sure you take out the old crush washer and replace it with a new one. I wouldn't trust any other.
Old Dec 6, 2003, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

Re: I used Mobile 1 Synthetic. Car now leaks.

Originally posted by Lightsped
Well, I did my first oil change yesterday. Used Mobile 1 Synthetic 10w30.

Woke up today and there is a small drop or two on the floor just under the drain plug (I used a Fram Sure Drain drain plug which seems to have fit fine). Yes, the drain plug is tight, about as tight as possible without stripping the threads. And yes I wiped the oil pan and plug off with a towel last night.

Oil filter is fine too.

Any ideas how to fix this? This is my first oil change using Mobile 1 synthetic.
By your post, are you implying that the Mobil 1 has something to do with the leak? I didn't see anyone comment about that. Mobil 1 from the factory Obviously it has everything to do with the different drain plug. Just curious, but why would you use a different drain plug anyway?

sidenote: FYI alert for anyone that might be using FRAM oil filters, I wouldn't. I have a buddy who is a mechanical genius of sorts who blows up engines for GM who did an in depth comparison of FRAM oil filters vs. GM oil filters. He said he never would have guessed it, but the FRAM oil filters are junk.

Last edited by WILDMAN; Dec 6, 2003 at 04:57 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2003, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

i'm with kk and evo rpm. check for the washer. it maybe stuck. mine was.
Old Dec 6, 2003, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Drain plug appears and felt like it fit perfectly. It is screwed on as tight as possible without stripping the threaads.

The car did not have a crush gasket to begin with. The Fram Sure Drain drain plug did come with metal washer and it is being used now.
LOL, been there, done that. It IS your Sure drain from Fram. When I tried one, it leaked, too. Just take it off. Besides, it doesn't work that well (takes too long to drain), and the brass will corrode and turn green.

Frankly, it sucks.
Old Dec 6, 2003, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: I used Mobile 1 Synthetic. Car now leaks.

Originally posted by WILDMAN

By your post, are you implying that the Mobil 1 has something to do with the leak? I didn't see anyone comment about that. Mobil 1 from the factory Obviously it has everything to do with the different drain plug. Just curious, but why would you use a different drain plug anyway?
Yeah, damn mods don't know how to make the subject match the thread. I should warn him for it.
Old Dec 6, 2003, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up Re: Re: Re: I used Mobile 1 Synthetic. Car now leaks.

Originally posted by timzcat

Yeah, damn mods don't know how to make the subject match the thread. I should warn him for it.
Old Dec 6, 2003, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

I checked my original drain plug and it does indeed have the washer (or what looks to be the washer) still on it. This means I am missing a washer since I am using the new Fram Sure Drain plug.

Now for my next question? What is the best, easiest, and cleanest way to drain my original oil and pour it back into the car? The thing I am draining it into is a big flat pan, it would be very difficult to neatly poor 5 qts of oil from a pan into the small oil fill oil located in the valve cover.

Thanks for the help.
Old Dec 6, 2003, 07:21 PM
Account Disabled

Go to Pep Boys or some place that sells lots of auto parts and get the oil pan that has the spout on the end. That should do the trick.
Old Dec 6, 2003, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I changed my oil twice already with the original crushed washer still stuck on the drain plug. (I can't get it off, how did you guy's remove your's) It doesn't leak. Well so far it hasn't leaked yet. Knock on wood.

lightsped try using a really BIG MOUTHED funnel.
Old Dec 7, 2003, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

I asked my brother what he did since he used one of these Fram Sure Drain plugs wth Mobile 1 Synthentic too. He said his dripped a small drop each day for a couple days then stopped by itself. I think I will just wait and see what happens by Wednesday or so.

His car is a VW 1.8T.
Old Dec 7, 2003, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by KK
Lightsped,

I noticed on my Evo that the original crush washer was painted and press right onto the drain plug of the Evo from the factory. The first oil change I did, I couldn't even find it so I though it just fell into the pan and placed another washer on there.

I then got the same drops off the pan afterwards, so I re changed the oil and found that the new washer had broken. That's when I realized the old washer was there, removed it, and redid the oil change. That should fix your problem.

Mark
I had a similar observation. But I noticed the crush washer on the back of the drain plug just before I threaded the plug back into place. It looks like the factory used waay too much force when they put the drain plug on initially. The original crush washer was crushed really, really flat. It was very easy to miss.

Unfortunately, you are going to have to do one of 2 things I think.

1. Deal with the small drip and watch the oil level till the next scheduled change.
2. Remove your Fram drain plug, let out all the new $$ oil, then refit the Fram drain plug with the proper crush washer, refill with new oil.

I would suggest you do what is outlined under #2.

SC~
Old Dec 7, 2003, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

I asked my brother what he did since he used one of these Fram Sure Drain plugs wth Mobile 1 Synthentic too. He said his dripped a small drop each day for a couple days then stopped by itself. I think I will just wait and see what happens by Wednesday or so.

His car is a VW 1.8T.
But the leak could just as easily get a lot worse and drain your engine of oil completely on your next drive.

Don't risk it! The only reason you wouldn't properly correct the situation today is lazyness or because you don't want to buy another $20 of oil. Neither is good enough reason to risk royally screwing your engine!

SC~
Old Dec 7, 2003, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Secret Chimp

1. Deal with the small drip and watch the oil level till the next scheduled change.
2. Remove your Fram drain plug, let out all the new $$ oil, then refit the Fram drain plug with the proper crush washer, refill with new oil.

I would suggest you do what is outlined under #2.

SC~
I will probally do #2 in a few days, but there is no way I am buying 25 bucks of oil again. I'll just drain the current oil, install a washer, and refill with that same oil. Shouldn't hurt anything. The oil is brand new anyways.