Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

I used Mobile 1 Synthetic. Car now leaks.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2003, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I used Mobile 1 Synthetic. Car now leaks.

Well, I did my first oil change yesterday. Used Mobile 1 Synthetic 10w30.

Woke up today and there is a small drop or two on the floor just under the drain plug (I used a Fram Sure Drain drain plug which seems to have fit fine). Yes, the drain plug is tight, about as tight as possible without stripping the threads. And yes I wiped the oil pan and plug off with a towel last night.

Oil filter is fine too.

Any ideas how to fix this? This is my first oil change using Mobile 1 synthetic.
Old Dec 6, 2003, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

Are you sure the drain plug is closed completely? Maybe you installed the drain plug wrong?
Old Dec 6, 2003, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

I would stick to the stock plug & crush gasket...

my 2 cents
Old Dec 6, 2003, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Drain plug appears and felt like it fit perfectly. It is screwed on as tight as possible without stripping the threaads.

The car did not have a crush gasket to begin with. The Fram Sure Drain drain plug did come with metal washer and it is being used now.
Old Dec 6, 2003, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

How many quarts did you pump in it?
Old Dec 6, 2003, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Why did you change the drain plug. Use the stock one. I just did my oil change and have no leaks. Used stock oil filter (from dealer) and the drain plug that was on the car originally.
Old Dec 6, 2003, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Just a little less than 5 qts as per owners manual.
Old Dec 6, 2003, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by xtnct
Why did you change the drain plug. Use the stock one. I just did my oil change and have no leaks. Used stock oil filter (from dealer) and the drain plug that was on the car originally.
The Fram Sure Drain plug makes my next oil change very quick and easy. Just screw a hose onto the drain plug and the old oil comes right out.

www.fram.com, check under "accesories". The new plug is the correct size and felt like it fit perfectly.

Last edited by Lightsped; Dec 6, 2003 at 08:00 AM.
Old Dec 6, 2003, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

If you didn't see the little crush gasket on there you might have installed the new washer and drain plug on top of it. That could cause a gap and maybe a leak.
Old Dec 6, 2003, 08:04 AM
In Timeout

See if it leaks for a few more days, if so put the stock back in WITH a new washer. I am in Kennesaw too if you need one let me know, I also have a stack of new filters that you can have because I am not going to use them, I screwed up enough messing with my car.
Old Dec 6, 2003, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
so, when would you guys do the first oil change? in 5,000 like dealer says? or do it at 1500 ?
Old Dec 6, 2003, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Mine leaks a little from the drain plug also after the first oil change. Like you, Mobil 1 but the work was done at the dealer. Drain plug is tight. The part I don't know is whether the dealer put in a new washer. Definitely the original plug. I don't think it is the brand of oil.
Old Dec 6, 2003, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

After the last oil change i started picking up oil loss. Almost 1/2 qt per 200 miles. It turned out that the drain plug was not tight.

i didn't torque to spec as it didn't seem right. Well this is my first car with a crush washer. I was fooled by the amount required to crush the washer and get the proper torque on the drain plug.

My point here is that synthetic oil leaks where other dyno oil will not.. It is many times hard to get a good seal.
Old Dec 6, 2003, 10:05 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Lightsped,

I noticed on my Evo that the original crush washer was painted and press right onto the drain plug of the Evo from the factory. The first oil change I did, I couldn't even find it so I though it just fell into the pan and placed another washer on there.

I then got the same drops off the pan afterwards, so I re changed the oil and found that the new washer had broken. That's when I realized the old washer was there, removed it, and redid the oil change. That should fix your problem.

Mark
Old Dec 6, 2003, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It could be that you spilled some oil during the oil change and it is just now dripping off the car. Where did the oil appear under the car? Did you spill any oil when you filled it? Just checking every possibility.

BTW, if you do spill oil when changing oil, wipe up what you can. If any spills down into areas of the engine you can't get to, use a can of brake fluid (make sure the engine is cold at this point) and spray down the area. The brake fluid will help clean the oil off and it will usually drip down underneath the car.

Also, I have to agree with the others - use the factory drain plug with the crush ring ! And if you are looking for a more convenient way to drain oil, buy one of these:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=10122

I have been changing the oil in my cars and motorcycles for years and completely blew this product off when my friend showed me his (that doesn't sound quite right, does it? ), but I gave it a try. This thing rocks, especially if you own a car with an oil filter that is accessible under the hood (hint, hint Mitsu engineers! ). For the Evo, it is still quite useful, but you'll still have to crawl under there to change that filter.

Joe

http://www.joe250.com