Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Forward Facing Stock Turbo Manifold??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2010, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forward Facing Stock Turbo Manifold??

I don't know if this has been asked before. But has any one made a Forward facing Stock turbo manifold yet? I know they would have to make a different down pipe to go with it. Also would have to run it with out the MAF ( ecu -stand alone or SD ). I wonder how this would perform. It would be good for FP and BBK turbos. If their is could someone post pictures or a link to a web site.

(Please don't bash me if this is a dumb question or idea.)
Old Dec 22, 2010, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

This topic has came up a couple times. Don't think anyone has done it yet. But you'd def have to ditch the MAF. Dunno if it would be worth it. Would be cool though.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Why do you want a forward facing manifold? What are the benefits? Can someone please show me a dynosheet where a front facing manifold is compared to a stock location manifold with the same setup.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I am building one...........for the Bad Bish actually.

The other option is the new product release I just put up in Vendor Announcements. It's our new forward facing inlet for the stock appearing turbos. Uses a 3/4 width radiator, new turbo inlet and filter. Check it out.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...air-inlet.html
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes and no. Shearer was taking orders to make one for 1000 a pop. I think thats way overpriced but hey whatever. I thought about making and DID come up with a concept peace for mona lisa Version 2.0 but as stated above I dont see the point in FF manifold turbo on a street car period. to may things could happen not to mention the extra cost you will have to indur just to look cool. Custom A/C kit so you can keep that cool air then conversion to SD or aftermarket ECU then custom downpipe as well. Have to get smaller radiator to. By the time your done your right at the price of a t3 kit etc and the whole benefit of the stock frame turbo pricing point and still making power is thrown out the window. if your going that route might as well send your turbo to owens development and get a BB conversion to complete the transformation and again add more cost to this costly en devour

Not really worth all the coin involved unless you just want that custom look
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
I agree with RockManX. The price involved you are right there at a T3 turbo kit.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

I don't agree. There's not a turbo in T3 configuration that works as well as a Red does, not that I've ever seen. Most guys have the Red already so it's a matter of buying an 02 housing and header, maybe not even a downpipe depending on how the kit was built. No external gate required depending on how the kit is built. The cost isn't even remotely close based on those things.

There is no down side to a FF kit on the street. I never wanted A/C in the first place and is why I bought an RS to begin with. The FF kits work on the track at high speeds, absolutely no doubt about it.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
I personally like the front facing kits. I don't see anything wrong with the bolt on turbochargers, but when you start sending them in to be modified from Journal Bearing to Ball Bearing and then upgrading the manifold, downpipe, o2 housing, wastegate actuator, lower pipe, oil lines and a custom intake because of the upgraded compressor cover, it does get spendy fast.

It can go both ways. We have built some crazy custom manifolds in the past. Twin gated external dump stock replacement for the FP turbo... etc. We could definitely build a front facing stock replacement if there was a demand though.

Thanks,

Michael
Old Dec 22, 2010, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

I am glad I started a good thread and some big named shops have chimed in.

I have seen some 6262 FF turbos out on the street. So why couldn't you do one for a stock housing one. You might have to reroute some of the lines that go to the turbo. But you would need to do that anyway to any FF turbo kit. Right?

Buschur-- Your kit with the new radiator is cool and all but I was thinking about how they do the kits for the bigger turbos but make one for the stock housing ones. Something along them lines.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ETS Michael
I agree with RockManX. The price involved you are right there at a T3 turbo kit.
thanks boss

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I don't agree. There's not a turbo in T3 configuration that works as well as a Red does, not that I've ever seen. Most guys have the Red already so it's a matter of buying an 02 housing and header, maybe not even a downpipe depending on how the kit was built. No external gate required depending on how the kit is built. The cost isn't even remotely close based on those things.

There is no down side to a FF kit on the street. I never wanted A/C in the first place and is why I bought an RS to begin with. The FF kits work on the track at high speeds, absolutely no doubt about it.
not saying they dont work at the track but most of us that live in humid areas need to keep the A/C thats just suicide and sweat city for no real reason except if your at the track. No matter how your slice it there is a extra cost to go FF route. Yes you may know people that can persay hook you up but your not going to get all those parts for less then 200 for a total kit. you already pay 2000 for the black if going that route is something somebody wants to do then i guess cost does not matter much.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTEBuschur-- Your kit with the new radiator is cool and all but I was thinking about how they do the kits for the bigger turbos but make one for the stock housing ones. Something along them lines.[/QUOTE]

I don't get it. Maybe it is just me, but this sentence is confusing. Can you elaborate more please.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FL_SilverEvo8
I am glad I started a good thread and some big named shops have chimed in.

I have seen some 6262 FF turbos out on the street. So why couldn't you do one for a stock housing one. You might have to reroute some of the lines that go to the turbo. But you would need to do that anyway to any FF turbo kit. Right?

Buschur-- Your kit with the new radiator is cool and all but I was thinking about how they do the kits for the bigger turbos but make one for the stock housing ones. Something along them lines.
the issue is not making a complete kit thats no problem the issue is how much it will cost to get all the required peaces and Custom A/C kit or no a/c does not matter once its all said and done you could have gone t3 route thats all thats being said. I guess its not cost effective really and not like your going to gain a Ton of power or something.

Originally Posted by evo 9 guy
[QUOTEBuschur-- Your kit with the new radiator is cool and all but I was thinking about how they do the kits for the bigger turbos but make one for the stock housing ones. Something along them lines.
I don't get it. Maybe it is just me, but this sentence is confusing. Can you elaborate more please.[/QUOTE]

he is talking a complete kit like on this car below

manny
lines
radiator
o2 housing
downpipe
turbo
Custom A/c kit or not

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZAGUut1gIY

Last edited by RockmanX; Dec 22, 2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

this is interesting
Old Dec 22, 2010, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

I am building a FF kit formthe Bad Bish with a Red. I will do it like our normal kit though that uses an air filter, running a car without an air filter is simply retarded.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RockmanX
the issue is not making a complete kit thats no problem the issue is how much it will cost to get all the required peaces and Custom A/C kit or no a/c does not matter once its all said and done you could have gone t3 route thats all thats being said. I guess its not cost effective really and not like your going to gain a Ton of power or something.

I don't get it. Maybe it is just me, but this sentence is confusing. Can you elaborate more please.
he is talking a complete kit like on this car below

manny
lines
radiator
o2 housing
downpipe
turbo
Custom A/c kit or not

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZAGUut1gIY[/QUOTE]

Yes this is what I meant. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Quick Reply: Forward Facing Stock Turbo Manifold??