Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo Transmission Limitations

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2010, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Evo Transmission Limitations

What is the limit of the Transmission in our Evos? I am curious to see what people think from personal experience and others mishaps. This will hopefully help people make a decision on what is an acceptable level of risk for their applicaiton/wallet.

How long has your transmission lasted? Please include all the pertinent info you can. How many miles?, What power level?, Is the tranny built?, etc...
Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have read 375 tq. I really think its all in how you drive it, Maintain it, and what fluid you use.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the biggest limitation to the EVO transmission is usually the ****ty driver.

the transmission isn't what has the limitation. the clutch is. the clutch is the weakest point and will give out first, mainly to protect the transmission. once you upgrade the clutch though, that's a different story. plenty of people in here are on stock 5 and 6 speeds and pushing anywhere from 400-800hp.

most choose to get their transmissions built if they are going to do a lot of racing, but the stock transmission with a good clutch can take a lot of power/abuse.

do some searching on high hp cars and see who is using what as far as transmissions go. also, it would be more beneficial to PM some guys like buschur, john bradley, mrfred, and some of the other big names on here with questions like this so you get GOOD information from people who KNOW.

posting a thread will just get a lot of misinformation and bickering over said misinformation.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ODUB
the biggest limitation to the EVO transmission is usually the ****ty driver.

the transmission isn't what has the limitation. the clutch is. the clutch is the weakest point and will give out first, mainly to protect the transmission. once you upgrade the clutch though, that's a different story. plenty of people in here are on stock 5 and 6 speeds and pushing anywhere from 400-800hp.

most choose to get their transmissions built if they are going to do a lot of racing, but the stock transmission with a good clutch can take a lot of power/abuse.

do some searching on high hp cars and see who is using what as far as transmissions go. also, it would be more beneficial to PM some guys like buschur, john bradley, mrfred, and some of the other big names on here with questions like this so you get GOOD information from people who KNOW.

posting a thread will just get a lot of misinformation and bickering over said misinformation.
great info!!!

esp the ****ty driver part!
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
lol that why I am posting a thread. I know that the big names have made crazy hp/trq but not much has been said about how long the tranny lasts before needing to be "freshened up". At least that is the way it seems.

It seems like some people are saying that the limit of the tranny is a little over 500wtq. Maybe I should have asked how people's tranny with 500+ wtq are doing. It also seems that the triple disk would allow you to deliver more than the tranny can handle. Just curious to see peoples experience. I like the idea of the FP Black but that is some crazy torque it produces. I figure that a larger turbo would make plenty of power and keep the torque with-in safer limits. I will go ahead and pm some of the big guns and see what they say.

Last edited by mt057; Dec 26, 2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
put it like this, the more stress you put on the transmission, the more likely you are to break something. you are right that if you upgrade the clutch and it can handle ridiculous power, now that power will be transfered to the transmission. if you're talking about going FP black though, you might as well spend the money and secure the transmission. don't half *** it. I don't know if this car is your DD, but if it is, it's a lot better to plan the downtime to have the transmission upgraded, than to have it blow up on you while you're away from home.

the transmission can handle big power, how long is another story. if you baby it, probably forever, but then what's the point of having all that power if you're afraid to use it? how long the transmission will last depends on how you use it. if you have 600whp, but never take the car over 3000rpm, the transmission will never actually see 600whp, so yeah, you could say the transmission is holding fine on a car with 600whp but that would be misleading like a ****.

the way I drive, mine probably wouldn't last long with that much power, so i'd go ahead and beef it up ahead of time.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Our drag car is running a completely stock 5 speed rebuilt to our specs. All factory parts, nothing is cryo'd nor REM'd, nothing aftermarket.

My car is a stock 5 speed built the same way, Lukes, Jake's, all our customers, etc. 3rd and 4th need to be inspected close or replaced after abuse because we have seen them fail after 800-900 passes at high power over the life of the car (counting dyno pulls).

Aaron

Last edited by JohnBradley; Dec 26, 2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Dam you beat me to it!

I was just gonna say ER's 1100whp car has a stock tranny.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Our drag car is running a completely stock 5 speed rebuilt to our specs. All factory parts, nothing is cryo'd nor REM'd, nothing aftermarket.

My car is a stock 5 speed built the same way, Lukes, Jake's, all our customers, etc.

Aaron
wow that is great to know Im building a motor for my car and I only have a twin disk and stock 5 speed so it should hold up as long as I maintain it with the right fluids. correct
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

And assuming you know how to drive lol

99% of drivetrain failures are the drivers fault
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 3gEclipseTurbo
And assuming you know how to drive lol

99% of drivetrain failures are the drivers fault
well i guess im going to have to get a few trannys lined up
Old Dec 26, 2010, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is why I think most tranny's have that notchy feeling. I have adjusted the clutch pedal as much as I could in either direction, and it's still notchy. I'll be sending mine to these guys for a rebuild.

http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pa...o-blueprinting