Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

whining noise while driving

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dam you MR2JZ. You didn't give me a chance to state my case.. I had to edit my post. Your explanation was much better then mine anyways. I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees this. What to do about it now is the problem. I dont have the time or the money to try and prove my theory correct.. Ill tell you this much that if my transfer case ever takes a dump then I definitely will be looking into having a standard cut ring and pinon made up. Screw me once Mitsubishi, shame on you; screw me twice......

David

Last edited by MechanicDave; Aug 5, 2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 01:05 PM

I'd like to know if it's too late when you start hearing the death wine. I screwed up and put 80-90 in my TC and then found all the DiaQueen 90 "must use" posts. I put about 150 miles on it, temps around 11 degrees. I parked the Evo today and ordered DiaQueen. Thanx.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

^ some people have had luck with just replacing the fluid and the noise going away those people are lucky....I am not lucky so this did not work for me
Old Feb 12, 2011, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

i went with the amsoil tranny and diff oil and now im hearing some whine from my new tcase again... its quite but still driving me crazy! ima order the diaqueen stuff and swap it out.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 08:43 AM

I'm glad I took my time getting T-case out. I had talked to TRE, and was gonna go with him. After I finally got it out, I e-mailed TRE to send a box for shipping. I sent him more e-mails, called several times a day for a week, no answer. I figure something happened to Jon of TRE. Hope he's ok, feel sorry for anyone who's stuff is sitting in the shop.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by silverguy
i went with the amsoil tranny and diff oil and now im hearing some whine from my new tcase again... its quite but still driving me crazy! ima order the diaqueen stuff and swap it out.
i had the same problem with amsoil and switched to diaqueen, i have all the normal whines now that still make me paranoid
Old Feb 14, 2011, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Shep was super fast and a pleasure to deal with.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 06:41 PM

Well...The inevitable just occurred. My transfer case just started to exhibit the notorious death whine despite the fact that Iv always used DiaQueen and followed the correct procedure on filling the transfer case.. This really pisses me off. Its not that bad right now but I know it ant going away.

I'm going to hit up some of these aftermarket ring & pinion manufactures to see what the cost would be to have a standard cut ring & pinon made up. I already have spare ring & pinion out of a good EVO transfer case ready to ship out. Just need to find a manufacture that can do it without costing me an arm and a leg. Wish me luck..

David
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:15 PM

can the noise still be heard if the car is still and you're just accelerating in neutral?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

No

Originally Posted by eddievo8
can the noise still be heard if the car is still and you're just accelerating in neutral?
If you are on the throttle while in neutral you wont hear the tcase whine since the drivetrain is still...

These cars make drive train noise... most AWD cars do. The death whine however is very obvious. It will get louder with speed.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

i have a shep trans and shep tcase those are just noisey all the way around lol. mine had been winning since day one i put it in. i thought i may of got a bad t case and went and drove my buddies his did the same thing while its out id do a shep love my t case and trans