Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

replacing stock clutch disk

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2011, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replacing stock clutch disk

Would it be a bad idea to just replace the stock clutch disk with an aftermarket? If not what one would you suggest.

There is nothing wrong with the stock clutch, but my pressure plate clip broke so I had to drop the trans anyway, and a clutch disk is only a couple hundred dollars.. So I was thinking it might make a little stronger that stock clutch with stock drivability.

Any ideas?

Last edited by ATTAHO; Jan 2, 2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

i dont no if thats a good idea the clamping on the aftermarket plate might be more then the oem disk can handle i could be wrong tho. what are youre mods? i would jus get a new aftermarket clutch of youre choice keep in mind what youre plans are for youre car when shopping for a new clutch gd luck
Old Jan 2, 2011, 09:31 PM

I'm sorry for my clarity I want to use a aftermarket disk with stock pressure plate.. It had 350 before I put the stock exhaust back on.

I'm really contemplating selling the car for a more luxury type vehicle.(new job keeps me on the road) so I dont really wanna spend 800 on a new clutch/fluids/ect
Old Jan 2, 2011, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

na dont do it, his is abou as close to stock as your going to get.

http://www.maperformance.com/exedy-o...-ix-05803.html

if your not diggn this just get another stock clutch, call MAP, they are vey helpful and will get you what your looking for.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ATTAHO
I'm sorry for my clarity I want to use a aftermarket disk with stock pressure plate.. It had 350 before I put the stock exhaust back on.

I'm really contemplating selling the car for a more luxury type vehicle.(new job keeps me on the road) so I dont really wanna spend 800 on a new clutch/fluids/ect
dont sell it i have thought about selling mine numerous times but i didnt and the point im at now i love it and will never even think about selling it. also i believe you can just get a new oem disk and call it a day. I dont no if an aftermarket disk would be compatible with youre oem pressure plate but lets wait for some experts to chime in and help you out.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by inf0
dont sell it i have thought about selling mine numerous times but i didnt and the point im at now i love it and will never even think about selling it. .
trust me I don't want to, but I put 1k miles on it every couple weeks, and the up keep(proper) on an evo is pretty high for a car that I have never even taken to a track.. its just not feasible right now.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I bought my car it had an ACT 6 puck in it with the stock pressure plate. It worked fine but it was worn out from the previous owner's 57trim so I replaced it.

You could probably grab a sprung 6 puck disk and throw it in there. The ceramic buttons are a more grabby material than the organic disk so I think it would tend to increase the holding power a little.

Map has just the ACT 6 puck disk for $147. They really don't daily drive that bad and they shift nice.

http://www.maperformance.com/act-spr...o-6240608.html
Old Jan 3, 2011, 03:30 AM

Thank you thats exactly what I was wanting to know, not a huge difference but its pretty much the same price as a oem replacement so if it would work even just a little better.. why not

Last edited by ATTAHO; Jan 3, 2011 at 03:30 AM. Reason: spelled better wrong