Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

could i get some diagnosis help. (VIDEO)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4RETECH
Check your sparktech COP.

You might notice arching marks at the ends. check the tops of the spark plugs for arching. That's what it sounds like to me.

Lifters would be constant.
i was actually thinking that too but blew it off. do you think it would be that loud if it was arching? ill inspect that tomorrow.

anyone else?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

so i have narrowed down the noise to inside the valve cover. intake cam side over in the passenger(left side looking at the engine) area. could it possibly be a collapsed lifter? does anyone know what a collapsed lifter sounds like?

or what else could cause the sound? slightly bent valve? bad springs or retainers or keepers?

i didnt bleed my lifter after the new bigger cam install and thats when the noise started. i took everything apart and bled them again in hopes of getting rid of the sound but its still there.

anyone have any advice/suggestions?

Last edited by 05VIII; Jan 12, 2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From the vid I see if you look right around your fuel pressure regulator...there's a sensor there...in the vid to me it looks like it's moving around...which could be your sound...buy maybe not...but that's just what I saw in the vid...on the left side inbetween the fuel pressure reg and valve cover and to the left of where your pcv valve is...
Old Jan 12, 2011, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 06RedRalli
From the vid I see if you look right around your fuel pressure regulator...there's a sensor there...in the vid to me it looks like it's moving around...which could be your sound...buy maybe not...but that's just what I saw in the vid...on the left side inbetween the fuel pressure reg and valve cover and to the left of where your pcv valve is...
yeah i know what sensor you are talking about but thats not it.

we used a stethoscope and confirmed the sound is coming from inside the valve cover on the passenger intake side.

it gets louder the lower the rpms go and gets quieter the higher the rpms are. after 2k you cant hear it unless you use the stethoscope and its very quiet

Last edited by 05VIII; Jan 12, 2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06RedRalli
Good eye.I definetly notice it now.Missed it on the first view.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

when you pulled the valve cover the 2nd time did you check the lifters by squeezing them?

Sounds like the rocker is just flapping around....

Last edited by denile; Jan 12, 2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

At least yours runs after the cam install lol
Old Jan 12, 2011, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by denile
when you pulled the valve cover the 2nd time did you check the lifters by squeezing them?

Sounds like the rocker is just flapping around....
ill start from the beginning.

2-3 weeks ago i did valve springs. bled the lifters then and put everything back together.

then the other day i installed new bigger cams but didnt bleed the lifters thinking it would be alright to skip that step since i had just bled them 2 weeks prior.

once cams were in, i started hearing that ticking/clanking sound so i pulled the valve cover to inspect everything. everything looked fine and made sure everything was torqued to spec. put valve cover back on and ran it for a day in hopes it would go away.

noise didnt go away so i pulled the cams out and bled the lifters. re installed everything but the noise is still there. everything looked fine after i bled them the second time and yes, i could squeeze them with my fingers.

its not a loose bracket outside the motor or a connector rattling around. it is definitely inside the valve cover, intake cam passenger side.

hope its just a collapsed lifter because i can replace those easily for cheap. BUT i dont know exactly how to determine if its collapsed. im hoping some one here has had the same noise and a solution for it before i go spend 70$ on lifters for no reason

if it was a rocker, how could i inspect those? i made sure they were all seated properly once i put the cams back in and torqued the bearing caps back on.

Last edited by 05VIII; Jan 12, 2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 04:44 AM
Evolved Member

Bump
Old Jan 13, 2011, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

come on evom. anyone have ideas?
Old Jan 13, 2011, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

My best guess would be a lifter is bad and allowing the rocker to flop around.
I know you don't want to but remove the cam and lifters one by one and try squeezing each lifter.
One of them is not filling with oil and will be able to squeeze by hand.
Replace the one that is easily squeezed.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by denile
My best guess would be a lifter is bad and allowing the rocker to flop around.
I know you don't want to but remove the cam and lifters one by one and try squeezing each lifter.
One of them is not filling with oil and will be able to squeeze by hand.
Replace the one that is easily squeezed.
its not that i dont want to even though its cold as ****. but im willing to do what it takes to fix it. its just that i dont want to buy lifters or valves or rockers if they are not needed you know?

iv gotten it down now though, i can remove the cams in around 30-45 min. i just wanted some people with experience to give me suggestions.

maybe i can compress a lifter without removing the cams though any thought on that? it would save a lot of time. so if the lifter is bad, maybe i can just use a flat head and put pressure on it and see if it compresses.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-s1r1JlKy8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vea3mqfhl78

Last edited by b16a2delsol; Jan 13, 2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

niceeeee...might try that.

looks very sketchy though
Old Jan 13, 2011, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

there is actually a special tool from mitsu that will let you remove them without taking the cams off . Let me check out my manual and find it for you.

Quick Reply: could i get some diagnosis help. (VIDEO)