Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

could i get some diagnosis help. (VIDEO)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What oil u using ..check your pm I left u somethng
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running amsoil 10w30 and I'm pretty sure it's not lifter tick.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 05VIII
Running amsoil 10w30 and I'm pretty sure it's not lifter tick.

When does this sound occur? ??normal driving? ? Wot after? ? Or random and is t always the dame sound and loudness??I'm starting to read 4#g63 s always tick and lots make this noise is the nature of yhr beast
Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by brakeboost980
When does this sound occur? ??normal driving? ? Wot after? ? Or random and is t always the dame sound and loudness??I'm starting to read 4#g63 s always tick and lots make this noise is the nature of yhr beast
all your questions are answered in the first post. its not lifter tick
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
would that cause the ticking sound i am getting?

and whats with the little spring?
No, the other way around, maybe that was caused by whatever's making the sound.

The little spring is on all of the seals. It just keeps a seal on stems for 100+K miles. The seals don't come off by themselves if they were installed correctly.

What it sounds like to me in the vid is metal on metal like valve spring rubbing on something or a peice of FOD (socket, bolt) stuck somewhere.

If you Remove the spark plugs and hand crank the engine, can you get it to happen? That would be your best bet, duplicate it by hand with the rocker cover off.

good luck
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

hold on, just watched the video again and it sounds like a vibration, not a rubbing. Like somethings loose-

make sure the place where the PVC slides in to the rocker cover isnt vibrating. It just slides in there and moves freely, hold it while engine is running and see if it stops
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
No, the other way around, maybe that was caused by whatever's making the sound.

The little spring is on all of the seals. It just keeps a seal on stems for 100+K miles. The seals don't come off by themselves if they were installed correctly.

What it sounds like to me in the vid is metal on metal like valve spring rubbing on something or a peice of FOD (socket, bolt) stuck somewhere.

If you Remove the spark plugs and hand crank the engine, can you get it to happen? That would be your best bet, duplicate it by hand with the rocker cover off.

good luck
hold on, just watched the video again and it sounds like a vibration, not a rubbing. Like somethings loose-

make sure the place where the PVC slides in to the rocker cover isnt vibrating. It just slides in there and moves freely, hold it while engine is running and see if it stops
i didnt leave any bolts or sockets in there.i checked everywhere for something like that. i did hand crank the engine and it wont duplicate the sound. the pvc thing is on there tight.

and that little spring that you say is there to hold down the seals is off of whatever its suppose to be on on the first valve. all the other valves have the little spring where it should be.

the little spring is just flapping around. i took some pics and tried to rest it back where it should be but i just cant do it with the valve spring in place.

only thing i can think of vibrating is something to do with the intake manifold. i never placed that support bracket back after i installed a ported IM. but i have herd of several other people not placing that support bracket back with zero problems.

i cant seem to figure it out. guess ill just keep running it how it is. hope its nothing serious
Old Jan 16, 2011, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Jan 16, 2011, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

My friend had the same issue and be called me yesterday and told me be was changing plugs out and noticed his spoolinup cop coils were loose on the plate he said he tightened them down put everything back together and the sou d went away maybe a lipstick coil pack can do this??if I was you I would recheck everything over to make sure everything is tight I'm gone a do the same Thing
Old Jan 16, 2011, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Well its not the lifters since the sound is not consistent. Not sure what else it could be though
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

It's your lifters

I'm just kidding!

But seriously,
i never placed that support bracket back after i installed a ported IM. but i have herd of several other people not placing that support bracket back with zero problems.
That sounds like a BINGO to me.

the little spring is just flapping around. i took some pics and tried to rest it back where it should be but i just cant do it with the valve spring in place.
You can buy a tool for $70 that allows you to remove the spring and replace that seal. Youl need a 2+ gallon compressor good for 100psi. It's kind of touchy but you only have to do one seal, much better than 16 each took me all day.

If your gonna do it (intake seal) I'll give you some helpful tips. I just did the entire process (springs, seals retainers, etc) twice this winter.

If your in there you might want to buy some no-tick lifters since the ones in there have been bled to death (no pun). for what they're worth I think they're almost required. They come serviced and pumped up out of the bag, they also provide an improved hydraulic response and spring tension. And later down the road if you have to remove your cam(s) you keep them in there and dont bother bleeding them.

Last edited by C6C6CH3vo; Jan 16, 2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

If the valve seal spring is just flopping around in there that's more than likely wats causing that noise. Get it back on and see if it stops. U pretty much are going to have to regardless or the seal wont work as well and could go out sooner and cause ur car to smoke bc oil will get drawn into the cylinder through that seal. That's what I think it is.good luck.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't have my I/M bracket installed and it doesn't make that noise. So that's not it. Does that rattle noise change wth different rpm? Video with rpm change available?
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by brakeboost980
My friend had the same issue and be called me yesterday and told me be was changing plugs out and noticed his spoolinup cop coils were loose on the plate he said he tightened them down put everything back together and the sou d went away maybe a lipstick coil pack can do this??if I was you I would recheck everything over to make sure everything is tight I'm gone a do the same Thing
everything is tight. i have quadrupole checked everything.

Originally Posted by wizzo 8
Well its not the lifters since the sound is not consistent. Not sure what else it could be though

It's your lifters

I'm just kidding!

But seriously,

That sounds like a BINGO to me.

You can buy a tool for $70 that allows you to remove the spring and replace that seal. Youl need a 2+ gallon compressor good for 100psi. It's kind of touchy but you only have to do one seal, much better than 16 each took me all day.

If your gonna do it (intake seal) I'll give you some helpful tips. I just did the entire process (springs, seals retainers, etc) twice this winter.

If your in there you might want to buy some no-tick lifters since the ones in there have been bled to death (no pun). for what they're worth I think they're almost required. They come serviced and pumped up out of the bag, they also provide an improved hydraulic response and spring tension. And later down the road if you have to remove your cam(s) you keep them in there and dont bother bleeding them.
i know the process. i did my springs. i guess ill remove both intake springs and compare the two. might stick with these lifters for a while since they seem to be just fine with to no ticks

Originally Posted by awdordie
If the valve seal spring is just flopping around in there that's more than likely wats causing that noise. Get it back on and see if it stops. U pretty much are going to have to regardless or the seal wont work as well and could go out sooner and cause ur car to smoke bc oil will get drawn into the cylinder through that seal. That's what I think it is.good luck.
ill get to it. maybe in the next few days i can take it apart. i really doubt that the little spring could cause that noise. it looks so small and light.
but you never know.

Originally Posted by wizzo 8
I don't have my I/M bracket installed and it doesn't make that noise. So that's not it. Does that rattle noise change wth different rpm? Video with rpm change available?
yeah, i didnt think it would. i have read a lot of threads where people remove that bracket with zero side effects.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

hmmmmm....my buddy just finished installing his gsc s2 cams in his evo 9 and has the same noise. he also installed gsc valve springs. could it just be the nature of the cams with aftermarket valve springs?

his noise is on the opposite side as mine though, my noise is around cylinder 1 intake valves and his is around cylinder 4 intake valves

weird......

Quick Reply: could i get some diagnosis help. (VIDEO)