Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutches and cold weather

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Clutches and cold weather

Can stupid cold weather (like 10* F) have an effect on a clutch's grabbing ability? Boosted just a tad this morning on the way back from PT in 3rd gear (hit about 15-20psi) and my clutch slipped like crazy. Definitely smelled the burn inside the car as well. PLEASE tell me it's because of the weather.

Tony (does NOT like winter)
Old Jan 6, 2011, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmm i would think if your car was warmed up that you shouldnt have an issue since the car was moving or unless the u warmed the car all the way up and hit on it right out of the parking spot. i never had any problem with cold weather with my clutch tho
Old Jan 6, 2011, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what kind of clutch are you running?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i drive in 20 degree weather pretty much everyday and i have never had my clutch slip...

i dont think its the weather bro.....
Old Jan 7, 2011, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Son of a *****... that's what I DIDN'T want to hear.

Oh well... it's about that time for an upgrade. Exedy twin, here I come.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tfresh
what kind of clutch are you running?
ACT HDSS. Had it in for 42,xxx miles. Never faulted me once (other than a few 8000rpm lock-outs). Has like 200 launches on it and 3 seasons of auto-x. Guess it's just that time. Sucks, because I was just about to buy a Buschur ported manifold and 65mm t/b.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep sounds like classic worn clutch to me bro... never had a problem with a clutch slipping that bad in any winter conditions in either my STi or Evo
Old Jan 7, 2011, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how much torque are you making? might be a better fit for your setup then a costly twin disc
Old Jan 7, 2011, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
how much torque are you making? might be a better fit for your setup then a costly twin disc
Better yet what are your power goals so you won't have to make another pricey clutch change in the future a twin disc would be complete overkill for a 350-400 range it all depends on your goals and plans don't just go out an buy something because everyone else has it or your buddy said to get it, buy what fits you. That's what makes the modifying world so vast to each his own. Don't follow the crowd do whats best for you and your car
Old Jan 7, 2011, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
Not sure. Was making over 380 when I had my Red in but the Black isn't tuned yet.

I need to go ahead and get the twin now. Better investment than another ACT since I'm gonna need it not too far down the road anyways.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Chadwick4477
Better yet what are your power goals so you won't have to make another pricey clutch change in the future a twin disc would be complete overkill for a 350-400 range it all depends on your goals and plans don't just go out an buy something because everyone else has it or your buddy said to get it, buy what fits you. That's what makes the modifying world so vast to each his own. Don't follow the crowd do whats best for you and your car
Trust me, this ain't my first rodeo

I know exactly where I plan on going which is why I need to go the twin disc route.

It's only gonna be in the ~400wtq range until I leave this hellhole known as South Korea. Once I get back to the states I'll be swapping in a Buschur block and pushing the hell out of the Black.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
Trust me, this ain't my first rodeo

I know exactly where I plan on going which is why I need to go the twin disc route.

It's only gonna be in the ~400wtq range until I leave this hellhole known as South Korea. Once I get back to the states I'll be swapping in a Buschur block and pushing the hell out of the Black.

mmm good to hear that you have a few notches on your belt... and korea two of my good friends just left for there one is in EOD and the other is a Ranger stationed at Ft.Bragg. Good to hear that your looking at big numbers and a solid set up can always give a for that
Old Jan 7, 2011, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

I don't worry Tony it's happening to me too after about 5000 miles on a exedy twin
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

^ Well that sucks. I'm hoping to get way more life than that. If I can get over 40k out of an ACT beating the **** out of it I would hope to get a decent amount from a $1500 clutch.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Chadwick4477
mmm good to hear that you have a few notches on your belt... and korea two of my good friends just left for there one is in EOD and the other is a Ranger stationed at Ft.Bragg. Good to hear that your looking at big numbers and a solid set up can always give a for that
Your avatar made me LOL and reminds me of my Evo.

Quick Reply: Clutches and cold weather