Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New BW EFR Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2012 | 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by houdini_678
n2oiroc,

i noticed you have an ets licp. i once had one too, and i must tell you: BEWARE!

on my first turbo swap, and after being a whole saturday at the shop gettin tuned, i drive off, get on Atlanta's I85 (which sadly was under construction; NO shoulder lane), WOT in 4th, about to shift five; and 'zoomp'... pipe disconnected.

ETS LICPs do not have that support bracket, and they're simply a ticking bomb.

few times in my life i thought i was going to die... 6PM in an Atlanta highway, on a Saturday, with everybody in a hurry, your car stalling and and closed shoulder lane??? never thought I would be so happy that a cop came to my rescue.
Compressor side will be v-band so nothing to pop off on that end. On the intercooler end i can get a tab welded on when i mod it. Did you have anything on the couplers? I always hose the joints down with cheap hairspray. It lets them slide together easy and when it dries it glues them on. Its really hard to remove them after the hairspray dries, i usually have to stich a screwdriver in and sneak some alcohol in to loosen it.

Im also on speed density so if it pops off i still have a good running car just down on boost.

Last edited by n2oiroc; Mar 22, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2012 | 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

Ah, that's a shame. I've never had a problem with IC pipes popping off up to 40psi of boost and I just use regular worm drive clamps. As long as the clamp is placed correctly behind the pipe bead, and the clamp is not bottomed out, and the motor mounts are tight enough so the engine doesn't rock and pull the pipes off there should be no problem.
Old Mar 23, 2012 | 03:20 AM
Evolving Member

n2oiroc,

i must say i did not know the hair spray tactic; so for that, thanks.

i haven't driven the evo since last June, but next june is soon to be here and i'll do that... just in case.

all couplers/clamps were brand new.

wish you the best on your build!!
Old Mar 23, 2012 | 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

n2oiroc,

i must say i did not know the hair spray tactic; so for that, thanks.

i haven't driven the evo since last June, but next june is soon to be here and i'll do that... just in case.

all couplers/clamps were brand new.

wish you the best on your build!!
Thanks! Just clean the couplers and pipes to make sure there is no oil or dirt and spray them down a bit, it really works well.
Old Mar 25, 2012 | 06:17 AM
Evolving Member

n2oiroc,

Will it happen the same with the EFR 7670? I'm installing mine in the next to weeks and I have an ETS intercooler kit as well, do I have to go to the fab shop to? will the 2 parts from vibrant you posted should fix the issue?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 25, 2012 | 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JARVEVO8
n2oiroc,

Will it happen the same with the EFR 7670? I'm installing mine in the next to weeks and I have an ETS intercooler kit as well, do I have to go to the fab shop to? will the 2 parts from vibrant you posted should fix the issue?

Thanks in advance.
The 2.5" v band i posted isnt going to work without machining. I ordered a 60* coupler and a couple other things, ill post as i get it figured out. Either way, you will need to add some pipe.
Old Mar 25, 2012 | 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

^

Thanks!
Old Mar 25, 2012 | 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

... do not have that support bracket ....
Is this bracket on the "U-bend" part of the pipe - attaching to the chassis so as to reduce pipe wiggling? Just curious about this.
Old Mar 25, 2012 | 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

^^ ^

exactly... if u visit their page and compare theirs to (pretty much) any other licp manufacturer (or oem comparison), you'll notice they've chosen to ignore the origin of things

at that moment i was very inexperienced and naive (evo-wise)
Old Mar 25, 2012 | 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

I do not have a bracket connected to my licp and have not had any issues like you are describing. It popped off once with my injen piping but that was because it was not tight enough. I run 30 psi daily and do not use hair spray.
Old Mar 27, 2012 | 04:46 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by khmerpimpin
Good thing I'm patient, I went opposite of my original plan and built my motor first, when these efr turbos are on the shelf I think I'll upgrade, I love the results Geoff had with his car.. his approach is for the 90% that will not need to hold huge amounts of boost, but that would be fun to see none the less.
i am absolutely in love with my evo. driving this thing daily makes me sooo happy with how it turned out. I havent been posting on here because ive been pulling crazy hours prepping my R14 for the tuner shootout this weekend. Once the dust settles from the race and I am caught up, i plan to re-dyno the evo since I fixed the alternator. Also hoping that the walbro 460 pump will be out so i can run E85 with a single intank... really dont want to add another pump and the 400 will run out of flow at high boost (been testing it on a skyline here)

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
Im doing mock up on the stock engine to work out the kinks. The compressor cover hits the lower mount as expected, going to go hog wild with the grinder to fix that. Have to get some dump tubes made and an intake and see how it works with my ets licp.
get it all mocked up and plumbed on the stocker, then installing it on the built motor will be a breeze. trimming the trans mount isnt too difficult i can try and send some photos your way if that would help

[quote=n2oiroc;10052060]once i toss the radiator in, there isnt much room for a coupler off the compressor. im thinking of ordering a j bend and a v band flange and using the flange borg warner was nice enough to put on the compressor cover and cut the barb off./quote]

i would recommend that you use a coupler on the standard EFR outlet. The vband that is there is just a cummins flange/clamp but i tried it on a couple setups and really prefer the traditional method. Also once you cut the housing there is no going back..

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
I have a better idea. Weld a 90 degree outlet onto your BW compressor cover. It'll be aluminum and it'll be compact. Get creative and weld on the machined lip to the elbow before welding it onto the compressor cover, sand it down, polish it up, peen it, and then weld it on It would look pretty close to OEM less the weld.
We strongly recommend NOT welding to the EFR compressor housings. While im sure it can be done with no problems, the possibility exists that the housing can warp/distort from the heat input and cause a leak at the vband or at the bov... just not worth the risk imo

Originally Posted by mt057
I do not have a bracket connected to my licp and have not had any issues like you are describing. It popped off once with my injen piping but that was because it was not tight enough. I run 30 psi daily and do not use hair spray.
agreed, my piping has not popped off once, running 28-30psi daily. no hairspray either, just good quality thick couplers and constant pressure tbolt clamps
Old Mar 27, 2012 | 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Trimming the lower mount was easy. As far as the coupler i didnt realize they made a 60* one. I just ordered one and will trim it back a bit on the compressor end to give it a bit of radiator room. I bought a 2 1/2" mandrel bend to complete the licp. Since im on the stock mounts i might put a bump coupler in the middle to reduce stress. The upper is plenty long and has a coupler in the middle so that one is fine. Intake will be easy, i have a 4" mandrel bent aluminum tube. I just need to cut it and have it welded into kind of an "s". I have a huge amsoil filter to go on the end of it. These amsoil air filters are fantastic! After 20k on my 35r sti i could wipe the turbo inlet with a white towel and it was spotless. After that i need to mock up dump tubes. Im going to merge them together and run both into a supertrapp disc muffler. Did that on my sti and it reduced the noise dramatically without the drawbacks of plumbing it back. My sister in laws dad is an "expert" welder and ill fit everything and have him weld it as im an amateur welder and have only done mild steel.

Last edited by n2oiroc; Mar 27, 2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2012 | 11:39 PM
bsh
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff

a "compound angle" means it has 2 angle components, where the hole is drilled, its not just a simple "drill a hole" at 1 angle and get correct optical readings, these things are not easy or simple and for that reason i strongly urge you to use the EFR sensor. The garrett sensor has a different length and mounting bung as well as being intended for a different mounting angle which i do not know, since we do not use the garrett sensors at all for any turbo.

I forgot to reply, but the Garrett speed sensor I fitted works well. I am breaking in new rings and have not boosted more than about 11 psi, so it have not seen more than about 60krpm if I remember correctly from the logs. Anyway use the Borg Warner sensor if you have enough space. It will save you alot of work Brilliant feature from BW.
Old Mar 28, 2012 | 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

touche on the welding of the compressor Geoff.

Did you do a backdoor intercooler on your Evo? Do you have pics?
Old Mar 28, 2012 | 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Im sure you saw it, but david buschur just put on in his car.

Quick Reply: New BW EFR Turbo Thread