Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New BW EFR Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2012 | 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

.81 T3 single entry
Old Mar 29, 2012 | 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

works for me, but does this work for you?

Old Mar 29, 2012 | 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Someones web safety software is overzealous, may have picked up on the "xx" in the URL
Old Mar 29, 2012 | 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
I can do that but im unsure what v band i actually need. A 2.5" wont work, i have one and its too big. I was also worried about sealing, i can get a groove machined in the downpipe side flange (once i know what flange it is) if there is enough width.

they always do this the turbo companies, I'm guessing it's in order to make sure you buy the V-band off of them making theme an extra buck
on topic I think this would be the best solution and yes get a grove cut into the flange that's a must for sealing
if you can't get the V-band flange off of BW then you could measure the one on the side of the compressor and get it cut easily on a mill.
I could do it myself and get a bunch of them CNC'd but I didn't get my turbo yet so I don't have the dimensions.
then all you need is the band and they can be found in a Varity of sizes.
Old Mar 29, 2012 | 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

which turbine housing is on each turbo?
Old Mar 29, 2012 | 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff
i would recommend that you use a coupler on the standard EFR outlet. The vband that is there is just a cummins flange/clamp but i tried it on a couple setups and really prefer the traditional method. Also once you cut the housing there is no going back...
quoted for v-band info.
Old Mar 29, 2012 | 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
which turbine housing is on each turbo?
Sounds like 1.05 t4 on the 8374 and .81 ss t3 on the 6266.
Old Mar 29, 2012 | 05:22 PM

Borg Warner doesn't make the v-band outlet flange, only the clamp. You would need to machine one up, preferably sealing it with an internal o-ring.

It's a shame that BW still can't deliver on these, I'm a patient person but over waiting, there are plenty of alternatives now
Old Mar 29, 2012 | 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
Sounds like 1.05 t4 on the 8374 and .81 ss t3 on the 6266.
that's really not that exciting. The transient response should make it better, but until I experience it, I'm not as thrilled as I once was.

It would be interesting to see the PTE turbo or an FP turbo with a titanium wheel...
Old Mar 29, 2012 | 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

that's really not that exciting. The transient response should make it better, but until I experience it, I'm not as thrilled as I once was.

It would be interesting to see the PTE turbo or an FP turbo with a titanium wheel...
yeah, its not looking ground breaking. it look pretty decent though. a little earlier powerband at the expense of a little top end. im actually surprised the torque drop off isnt too different between the two. like i said before, if i hit over 750whp dynojet and spool like a std 3582r ill be happy. durability is my big thing though, i wouldnt run a precision on a bet. the 8374 "should" be bulletproof and if its competitive in performance to the top tier turbos in its class that would be great.
Old Mar 29, 2012 | 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

I've ran and sold a ton of precision turbos... I didn't have that many failures, but that was back when they were still using Garrett CHRAs. I'm sure they're fine. I hope that the transient response is really ground breaking on these. It would be nice to hear what the owner of the supra had to say after driving both.
Old Mar 29, 2012 | 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

I've ran and sold a ton of precision turbos... I didn't have that many failures, but that was back when they were still using Garrett CHRAs. I'm sure they're fine. I hope that the transient response is really ground breaking on these. It would be nice to hear what the owner of the supra had to say after driving both.
i had a 100% failure rate on them back in 07-08 with 3 precisions all with less than 2k miles each. call me stubborn, but i wouldnt run one if they paid me $5k a year to. if the efr turns out to be a dud, ill get a garrett like i did when the precisions took a dump. my 3582r was dead reliable and worked fantastic.
Old Mar 30, 2012 | 09:49 AM

The Precision 6266 shown is running a T4 single scroll 0.81 with a BB center section. Both turbos were run on a divided HKS manifold. It's a 3.4L 2JZ with a unported head, valve job, cams, 9.5:1 compression on E85.
Old Mar 30, 2012 | 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Some obvservations.

And open T4 will be laggier than a Divided T4... which means that the PTE6266 is at a disadvantage on spool up (which it does surprisingly...VERY well on this dynochart versus the BW)

It also means that it will have significantly reduced back pressure at high flow rates.... which puts it at a large advantage out the top end. (which is quite evident on this dynochart)

I guess this just shows when you put the smaller turbine housing of the EFR on a 3.4L engine it chokes up top. SURPRISE. Not really... we all saw it coming.

Also the 6266 has a higher flowing turbine wheel than it's 6262 counterpart... lending to it's top end prowess on a 3.4L engine.

So I guess its not really a true apples to apples, but it shows that the EFR is not earth shattering different as far as looking at the dynosheet. it's on par with GTX, FP, and PTE turbo's with a MUCH lighter rotating assembly. Which IMO... still makes it the best choice.

It just makes me wonder what kind of amazing turbo is possible if we had FP, Garrett, and Precision using titanium turbines like BW.

Last edited by R/TErnie; Mar 30, 2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2012 | 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Some obvservations.

And open T4 will be laggier than a Divided T4... which means that the PTE6266 is at a disadvantage on spool up (which it does surprisingly...VERY well on this dynochart versus the BW)

It also means that it will have significantly reduced back pressure at high flow rates.... which puts it at a large advantage out the top end. (which is quite evident on this dynochart)

I guess this just shows when you put the smaller turbine housing of the EFR on a 3.4L engine it chokes up top. SURPRISE. Not really... we all saw it coming.

Also the 6266 has a higher flowing turbine wheel than it's 6262 counterpart... lending to it's top end prowess on a 3.4L engine.

So I guess its not really a true apples to apples, but it shows that the EFR is not earth shattering different as far as looking at the dynosheet. it's on par with GTX, FP, and PTE turbo's with a MUCH lighter rotating assembly. Which IMO... still makes it the best choice.

It just makes me wonder what kind of amazing turbo is possible if we had FP, Garrett, and Precision using titanium turbines like BW.
The question is, why these companies aren't using Ti already on their turbos?

Anyways can't wait to try out my 7076 on my Road Race Evo

2.3 fully built short block
fully built head (headgames)
shep trans and transfer
fortune auto custom coilovers
alcon 6 piston brakes
lexan windows
and a very very light car with VP Q16 Racing Fuel! ummm smells good already!

Last edited by JARVEVO8; Mar 30, 2012 at 01:50 PM.

Quick Reply: New BW EFR Turbo Thread