Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New BW EFR Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2012 | 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
I have a 9.8 housing chopped up and the volute area where it first meets the scroll is in fact very close to 9.8cm^2 between the pair of runners. The A/R of a Housing ONLY counts the flow area and the divider IS NOT part of that area counted.
Thank God!

Seriously, thanks for that.

Oh yeah, it looks like the 74mm efr turbine wheel is 87 trim which I think comes out to about 69mm for the turbine wheel exducer. The trim info is in the BW EFR "Technical Training Guide" pdf.

Last edited by Talonboost; Mar 31, 2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2012 | 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks 03white.
Old Apr 1, 2012 | 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

damn it... wish i could do 'evo-talk' like some of y'all in here... 'google: sae turbine'
Old Apr 2, 2012 | 06:23 PM
Account Disabled

fyi - 2 indycar races completed so far - all 2012+ Indycars use a 100% off-the-shelf EFR rotating assembly, the same exact turbine and compressor wheels / shaft / bearings that every aftermarket customer will receive. The wheels are literally 9180 and 6758s. The only difference is indycars weld the twinscroll housing to their headers, so there is a different inlet. for the twin turbo chevrolet and lotus engines, they get an external WG t25 housing for the 6758s (this is so teams can not cheat and raise the boost). same center sections however. some photos:

you can see the penske dampers and the twin EFR 6758, stock center section complete with internal wastegate mounting holes in these 2 photos:

chevy twin turbo:

Lotus twin turbo here:

Honda is running the single twinscroll turbo:

note: honda is the only team using "header bags" to contain the heat. chevy and lotus just use raw or coated tubular fabricated headers.

note2: these cars use E98 and low boost so do not require an intercooler
Old Apr 2, 2012 | 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

This is false.

I have a 9.8 housing chopped up and the volute area where it first meets the scroll is in fact very close to 9.8cm^2 between the pair of runners. The A/R of a Housing ONLY counts the flow area and the divider IS NOT part of that area counted.

If you want to compare powerbands between single scroll and twin scroll. Multiply the divided housing by 0.6 and you have the roughly equivalent open scroll housing AS FAR AS OVERALL POWERBAND. This is strictly based on some SAE papers I've come across addressing this exact issue.

Thus, a 1.06 A/R T4 divided housing will have a similar overall power band as a 0.64 A/R T4 open scroll housing.
I have learned something here. Thanks! Why then does the same A/R in a twinscroll have such a large power deficiency compared to a smaller single volute? I would think the area being the same/bigger with the pulses better seperated would be more efficient and yield MORE power not less. Teach me!
Old Apr 2, 2012 | 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Geoff... what are these header bags made out of? Are they commercially available?
Old Apr 3, 2012 | 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

I guess now we know who's been sucking up the supply of EFRs.

l8r)
Old Apr 3, 2012 | 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
I guess now we know who's been sucking up the supply of EFRs.

l8r)
I was thinking the same thing... interesting how the pro teams don't seem to have a shortage, but most of the commercial customers who have already paid for their turbos over a year ago still don't have them.
Old Apr 3, 2012 | 09:29 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by evodan2004
what would a t4 1.15 and 1.32 compare to in open scroll??? and if your going that big ''1.32'' is it even worth it????
As a/r gets larger, turbine efficiency at the low end increases, while turbine efficiency at the high end decreases. This is counter intuitive becuase the housing:wheel combo flows more at the high end, but spools later. effectively - there is no free lunch you cant put a 1.5 a/r on a 60mm turbine wheel and flow as much air as efficiently as an 80mm turbine

agreed - ive posted this previously also, the divider wall is NOT used in A/R calculation!

Originally Posted by JARVEVO8
You have a 8374 right? which is bigger in overall size than the 7670? The 7670 should it fit better?
yes- the 7670 and 7064 are smaller than the 8374 so give much more room and you can fit the stock radaitor fan even. I have some photos posted of this on my evo i can post up if it helps you

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
Yes its an 8374 which has the large compressor housing along with the 9180. The 7670 and 7064 use a smaller compressor cover and should take much less effort to fit.
correct

i had a 100% failure rate on them back in 07-08 with 3 precisions all with less than 2k miles each. call me stubborn, but i wouldnt run one if they paid me
we have heard this from other well known shops also, whereas some shops seem to love them. to each his own

Originally Posted by JARVEVO8
a very very light car with VP Q16 Racing Fuel!
cant wait for you to get it on track, the setup will blow your mind

went out and bought a 97-02 mirage radiator. it fits great! mirage radiator, 1/2" more clearance.

passenger upper mount, new strap to mount is needed but very easy to do.

upper hose location. same as evo 4 5 6 and a strait shot.

poor man's evo6 radiator!! well done, this needs to become a sticky in its own thread... you just changed the radiator game for evo owners. rockauto is going to get a flood of orders for these mirage rads haha

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
dood ****ing awesome find. You get Evom member of the week award. Great thinking.
+1

rockauto.com has a few for like $70+ shipping. if anyone wants to order one, just order for a 2000 mirage 1.8L. i need to sell my mishimoto now, its a nice piece, but just plain too thick for this setup. i want plenty of room around everything as ill be running stock motor mounts and im sure it will dance all over. i dont need a dump tube or coupler rubbing into the radiator and leaving me stranded or chasing leaks.
Old Apr 3, 2012 | 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

I cant say how the mirage radiator will work for certain. Its full width, but its a single 5/8" thick core. Stock is double the capacity. Go buy one and test it out, if it works for you in az, were all good!
Old Apr 3, 2012 | 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

I cant say how the mirage radiator will work for certain. Its full width, but its a single 5/8" thick core. Stock is double the capacity. Go buy one and test it out, if it works for you in az, were all good!
i could be wrong. but guys using 1/2 sized rads are not ''as big'' as a full size rad. maybe it is double instead of single. my thought is the single rad has double the surface are then the 1/2 sized rads. i bet they hold nearly the same amount of fluid. so IMO it should work fine. but i could be wrong.
Old Apr 3, 2012 | 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
i could be wrong. but guys using 1/2 sized rads are not ''as big'' as a full size rad. maybe it is double instead of single. my thought is the single rad has double the surface are then the 1/2 sized rads. i bet they hold nearly the same amount of fluid. so IMO it should work fine. but i could be wrong.
I agree, but sometimes what works in our brains doesnt work in the real world.
Old Apr 3, 2012 | 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

I agree, but sometimes what works in our brains doesnt work in the real world.
i am a victim of that every day haha. but its a good thought. i dont think it will cool as well as a stock rad but it will cool better then the 1/2 rads used. so its in the middle. or maybe its in the trash. who knows
Old Apr 3, 2012 | 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

"Also NOTE: The BW turbo was a divided turbo on a divided twin scroll header. The PTE was an undivided turbo! There goes that theory! " quoted from SP.
Old Apr 3, 2012 | 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks Geoff! Please post or email me some pics of 7670 installed!

Believe me, I can't freaking wait!!!!! The first race of the championship was 2 or 3 weeks ago and I was going nutttss!!

Quick Reply: New BW EFR Turbo Thread