Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New BW EFR Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2011 | 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Nice link - thanks

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
you guys got time to burn? read up!

http://www.perrinperformance.com/sha...otechbrief.pdf
Old Feb 23, 2011 | 11:54 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by PeteyTurbo@KHC
Agreed. It's easy to tell alot went into theese units. No one has ever targeted us as a market before especially of this magnitude and to have BW in the mix is just the icing on the cake. If you guys need anything as far as testing or r&d dont hesitate to ask, I have plenty of experience of engine testing as that is my full time occupation, sadly we do not have any engine dyno cells to support the high rpm of the import engines since mainly what I do is medium and heavy duty diesel.. But theres always the Mustang chassis dyno at the shop Also, we have a GT2 with a SP700 kit at the shop, an efr comparo would be badass and I am sure Tym would be interested in coming by to help out.
Thanks for the kind words and the offer to help. We're definitely interested to speak with Tym about that GT2. please have him email me: geoff [at] full-race.com thanks alot petey

Originally Posted by 95630706
That was an awesome read and and a textbook "how to" for marketing turbos to car geeks! I want several of those turbos now. Mitsu has had titanium aluminide turbine wheels for years though
great to hear you guys like the e-book! we uploaded it to our server this morning: BorgWarner EFR Technical manual and yes mitsu has had the small gamma-ti turbine wheels in the past, but never has anything of this size range and with this type of blade aerodynamics was developed for or offered to the aftermarket.

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Question: does the turbo have to be mounted horizontal (i.e., parallel to the ground)?
yes, the turbo still should be kept as level as possible in the mountings. If you have a few moments, chec out the EFR training manual which touches upon this. Anyone that wanted to mount it "angled" as you suggested it will require a drysump scavenge system to suck the oil out of the turbo.

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
8374 T4 Twinscroll/external wastegate setup........................Like to see/feel response on that one.
you are not alone!

Originally Posted by Kins
Nice link - thanks
thanks for posting up on the lancerregister kins!!
Old Feb 23, 2011 | 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff
yes, the turbo still should be kept as level as possible in the mountings. If you have a few moments, chec out the EFR training manual which touches upon this. Anyone that wanted to mount it "angled" as you suggested it will require a drysump scavenge system to suck the oil out of the turbo.
How sensitive do you think it will actually be to this?

Garrett says the same thing, yet I've ran a Garrett GT around 15 degrees off horizontal without any issues at all. I am currently running a Mitsu around 10-15 degrees off horizontal. I realize they aren't designed around being off horizontal, but it seems like the oil passages can easily handle smaller angles. That small angle can really make a difference on some setups.
Old Feb 23, 2011 | 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Great link and wodnerful info!

Awesome job on it Geoff it def shows how much time and effort you and BW have put into this new line-up of turbos

I really can't wait until we can the unit we have tested (open scroll 8374) really interested though on how the TS version would do though........maybe one day we'll have one to test.
Old Feb 23, 2011 | 02:41 PM
Account Disabled

well youre absolutely correct there is an allowance - infact , think of a car driving up a steep hill, or parked/idling on a steep driveway that right there can be a worst case scenario... but it works. Youll never see a production manifold from full-race that holds the turbo at a cockeyed angle, but we ahve done one-offs for teams (with drysumps) like this
Old Feb 23, 2011 | 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I'm laying down a plan for next winter on a turbo build and keeping my options open. The EFR turbochargers have a ton of features I really like and I'm just evaluating the +/-'s of them in a complete system compared to the competition.

I'm sure you'll think I'm crazy, but any chance you could get one of these on scale? I'm personally interested in the EFR7064 in the T4 TS internally gated housing.
Old Feb 23, 2011 | 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

When are they scheduled to be available. I started my build and I think I'll be ready to put something on the car in March or April.
Old Feb 23, 2011 | 05:33 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
any chance you could get one of these on scale? I'm personally interested in the EFR7064 in the T4 TS internally gated housing.
no problem, the twinscroll EFR 7670 is 25.35lbs and the singlescroll is 24.55lbs

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
When are they scheduled to be available. I started my build and I think I'll be ready to put something on the car in March or April.
singlescrolls are trickling through now, come april we will have the twinscrolls

Last edited by Geoff Raicer; Feb 23, 2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2011 | 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Awesome, thanks.

Another question, what standard inlet conditions does Borg Warner correct to?
Old Mar 7, 2011 | 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Last edited by SmurfZilla; Mar 7, 2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2011 | 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

with which a/r would you choose a 7670 for 2.4 liter ? 0.92 or 1.05 ?
Old Mar 7, 2011 | 10:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by VGergo
with which a/r would you choose a 7670 for 2.4 liter ? 0.92 or 1.05 ?
that depends if you want internal wastegate or external wastegate.

When are the 8374 twin scrolls going to be available again?
Yes please!
Old Mar 7, 2011 | 11:24 AM

these efr turbos are sick. wish they made it without all the bells and whistles though
Old Mar 7, 2011 | 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Juice2boost
these efr turbos are sick. wish they made it without all the bells and whistles though
They do! You do NOT need to get or use the integrated BOV, WG, or BCS.
Old Mar 7, 2011 | 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RSMike
that depends if you want internal wastegate or external wastegate.

Yes please!
depend on the differences between the spool up and the power. I would like something similiar as the black but with ball bearing and maybe faster spool up. For the price the EFR is better than the FP.
Rather buy a special exhaust manifold with 2 external wastegate than convert an FP black to ball bearing.

Quick Reply: New BW EFR Turbo Thread