Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New BW EFR Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2012 | 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

maybe just try a machine shop to make one? i know it shouldnt be that way, but at least your search would be over
Old May 9, 2012 | 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AreSTG
maybe just try a machine shop to make one? i know it shouldnt be that way, but at least your search would be over
I can do that, but im getting sick of pouring money down the drain on couplers, elbows and clamps to get this to fit. Another potential issue is a v band clamp to attach it. A 2.5" is likely too big and a 2.25" is hard to find and might not work either. Borg warner sells the clamp in a kit, but im not buying an install kit with a pile of parts i font need for just a clamp.
Old May 10, 2012 | 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

when I showed my build thread long ago I showed the exact same thing.... got some clever *** answer.... BW changer the design of the housing etc....
Old May 10, 2012 | 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by acssa
when I showed my build thread long ago I showed the exact same thing.... got some clever *** answer.... BW changer the design of the housing etc....
Was yours a 7670 or 8374? What changes did they make? Looking at the original dimensional reference, mine matches.
Old May 11, 2012 | 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by khmerpimpin
Maybe if he contacted Geoff he would lend some support? Discounted gen 2 maybe? But who knows if that will fit with this turbo either.
When Full Race discovered that the gen 1 downpipe had clearance issues, they asked me to send mine back and they modified it. I don't think I paid anything but shipping one way.
Old May 11, 2012 | 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
When Full Race discovered that the gen 1 downpipe had clearance issues, they asked me to send mine back and they modified it. I don't think I paid anything but shipping one way.
Same here, but it still wont fit. The problem is borg warner designed these things with no regard to packaging. Why else would you make the turbine v band stick out so far? They could easily make it 1/2" shorter.
Old May 11, 2012 | 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

I vote for v2 EFR series turbochargers to have the following upgrades/changes.

More compact turbocharger. Put the v-band discharge at or near the end of the turbine wheel. Same for the intake tube, make it closer to the compressor wheel.

Shrink the CHRA by a small amount. yes you'll have less bearing stability, but lets make it fit in cars first.

Make the CHRA out of aluminum...or lighter.

Make the entire turbo lighter. Or offer lightweight housings. Burst containment is great, but TiAL turbine housing equipped 3076r's are LIGHT! Make sure that weight is an important engineering factor.

Make larger twin scroll housings. How about a 1.22, 1.44, and 1.66 for starters. (both external wg)

Make a turbo that is sized between the 7670 and the 8374. How about a 8072? How about a size between the 8374 and the 9180... say 8777?

Offer a second compressor cover that is stripped (bare) so that we can package these things.... that would be apt for turbo's with the "C" compressor cover.

Those are my thoughts.
Old May 12, 2012 | 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
my friggin downpipe is another story.
Bugger, because even if it did fit, that sharp corner on the inside of the "bend" is not exactly the kind of shape you want for good flow in the pipe.

They could easily make it 1/2" shorter.
Hmm, couldn't this be done as a modification to yours? Right in Full-Race's own shop and totally at no cost to you? They have been doing something like this for a long time to the SX (Airwerks) series BWs. "Full-Race Recommends machining the BW/Airwerks turbocharger outlet and welding on a 3" Vband flange in the Garrett 40R location."
http://www.full-race.com/store/turbo...-75-turbo.html

Anyway on the up side, you are doing a great job of documenting all this stuff with high quality pictures and commentary. That should qualify you for a sizeable research grant from, ah, somebody.
Old May 12, 2012 | 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Im no welder, but isnt cast iron harder to weld than stainless? If they do the airwerks turbo then this should not be a problem.

Originally Posted by Talonboost
Bugger, because even if it did fit, that sharp corner on the inside of the "bend" is not exactly the kind of shape you want for good flow in the pipe.

Hmm, couldn't this be done as a modification to yours? Right in Full-Race's own shop and totally at no cost to you? They have been doing something like this for a long time to the SX (Airwerks) series BWs. "Full-Race Recommends machining the BW/Airwerks turbocharger outlet and welding on a 3" Vband flange in the Garrett 40R location."
http://www.full-race.com/store/turbo...-75-turbo.html

Anyway on the up side, you are doing a great job of documenting all this stuff with high quality pictures and commentary. That should qualify you for a sizeable research grant from, ah, somebody.
Old May 12, 2012 | 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Im no welder, but isnt cast iron harder to weld than stainless? If they do the airwerks turbo then this should not be a problem.
That's what I'm thinking - both materials are not exactly for newbie welders. But the welders in Geoff's shop have probably done a lot more welding on stainless than on cast iron. The stainless in the EFR housings is a cast stainless and is a little different than what the pipes are made of.
I would imagine the main concern is warpage of the housing in the region where it has to have a certain clearance to the periphery of the turbine wheel. I'm thinking this could probably be worked out. It would take some money. They would have to be willing to trash a couple of housings before they get it down. This is R&D, prototyping, whatever you want to call it. I'm not really thinking that the cost should be on Full-Race either. If BW wants this product line to be a big success, they should be kicking in the bucks here. Heck, BW should just design a more compact turbine housing like Ernie said. But in the mean time ^^.

Last edited by Talonboost; May 12, 2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old May 12, 2012 | 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

If a replacement was available i would just get it done myself. Problem is if it gets jacked up im screwed.
Old May 12, 2012 | 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

got my wastegates and dumptubes in. fit surprisingly well.

my friggin downpipe is another story. not sure exactly how i can get the bend much tighter, but i have a 3" radius 3" mandrel 90* that ill cut up to try and make a tighter downpipe as it hits the a/c compressor. ***this is a gen 1 full-race downpipe, they have a gen 2 that fits better but im running out of cash so im going to make this one fit***

white spot below the o2 bung is where it rubs.

I really think that bend is going to cause you significant backpressure issues, especially at higher boost pressures.
Old May 12, 2012 | 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by way2qik
I really think that bend is going to cause you significant backpressure issues, especially at higher boost pressures.
If i can get this turbine housing shortened a bit, ill have room for a smoother bend. I agree, this one sends the exhaust strait into a wall.

Just measured, cant shorten it 1/2" but 3/8" is doable and it would help a lot.

Last edited by n2oiroc; May 12, 2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old May 12, 2012 | 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

why not just grind away on the a/c compressor? cant tell in picture how much needs to be removed. but from what I can see you can remove that whole side near bolt without issue. compressor will stay on fine with three bolts.
Old May 12, 2012 | 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

If i can get this turbine housing shortened a bit, ill have room for a smoother bend. I agree, this one sends the exhaust strait into a wall.

Just measured, cant shorten it 1/2" but 3/8" is doable and it would help a lot.

Just lose the A/C. Engine bay will look cleaner and you'll have plenty of room. C'mon man, you live in wisconsin. It never gets above 80F there in cheese land

Quick Reply: New BW EFR Turbo Thread