Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New BW EFR Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2012 | 05:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Afternoon,
Here are the results from the E&H Motors v11 subaru, install pics also.

www.facebook.com/ehmotors

I'll post dyno sheets in here tonight when I get home from work.

Carl Ruiterman (co-owner of E&H Motors) reports that the car is very fun to drive, the turbo operates like a light switch. You can see how quickly the turbo ramps up even on an 8 second run.
With the dyno in hold mode at 3000rpm, the EFR will make and hold 28psi of boost, making 200whp.
The gtx turbo wouldn't make and hold this much boost at this rpm, it would cough and splutter and surge.

Please note this is on a near stock bottom end and we will be pushing the setup harder once the high rpm forged EJ20 is built.

Enjoy, video's to come.

Cheers, Mike
Old Jun 11, 2012 | 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
to keep this thread going ill continue with my build updates in here.

working on boost control. all 300 psi rated push loc hose. dei heat sleeve around the hot areas. made an aluminum bracket and painted it for the boost control solenoid, uses 2 existing holes in the frame rail. the hoses loop like that to clear the conical air filter. couldnt find anything besides dei 1/8 npt distribution blocks to merge fittings, so that got expensive at $25 each but the rest of the stuff is fairly cheap. im thinking of using the licp for the boost source, so intercooler pressure drop doesnt kill the boost curve. any negatives?

[IMG[/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Looks like over kill but it looks good nonetheless

I have always gotten my boost source from my compressor housing with great results, even on my "junky" pte turbos
Old Jun 11, 2012 | 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wheatley
Looks like over kill but it looks good nonetheless

I have always gotten my boost source from my compressor housing with great results, even on my "junky" pte turbos
overkill is good! i always did compressor housing too, but would always have boost drop at high rpm's. i would think it would be more linear after the intercooler, but more prone to boost control issues and spikes as it has less time to react. thats why im going with the licp instead of the intake manifold.
Old Jun 11, 2012 | 10:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Name:  CarlSubie415kw32psi.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  138.6 KB

Name:  carlsubieEFR142428psi.jpg
Size:  135.8 KB

Name:  EFRvrsGTXPower.jpg
Size:  169.2 KB
Old Jun 11, 2012 | 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Bravo! That's a test! The supra guys should take note of those overlayed boost plots!! The gtx has a tiny turbine housing on it compared to the efr. But it's good to see it still outspools it.
Old Jun 11, 2012 | 11:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
Bravo! That's a test! The supra guys should take note of those overlayed boost plots!! The gtx has a tiny turbine housing on it compared to the efr. But it's good to see it still outspools it.
The boost curve is from another screenshot, i copy/pasted it on the bottom to make it easier to read

From the sounds of it Carl is really happy with how it performs.
Our local track Hampton Downs has two hairpins.
He usually exits turn 9 in 2nd gear, but now he said you can exit in 3rd gear with some pre-emptive throttle input and it absolutely rockets out of the corner. He said the boost ramps up really hard. I'll have to get him to do some logging to show what i mean.

imo the most surprising part of the whole equation is the 28psi @ 3000rpm is makes in "hold mode" on the Dynapack dyno. That's 200whp @ 3000rpm. Obviously it's loaded up, but the fact that it can do that is amazing.

Personally i dont think this setup is maxed out yet. The torque curve isn't massively diving, it could take more boost.
I'll be getting in touch with Geoff@Full-Race, hopefully i'll get Carl to fit a turbine speed sensor to keep an eye on shaft speeds.

We are now looking for a 8374 for testing and development
I'll guess we'll just have to get in line!

Cheers, Mike
Old Jun 12, 2012 | 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

^ you, me, and all my friends.

550whp isn't bad! You guys were picking up 10whp per psi at 28. I know denkers was running 28psi out the top end with a 2.3l and huge cams, I would think your 2.0l could run 32psi + out the top end.

What fuel mike?
Old Jun 12, 2012 | 11:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Fuel is Gull Force Pro (E85) that comes in 200Litre drums.
It's 15% 95RON gas and 85% E98 (denatured Ethanol).
Old Jun 12, 2012 | 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

That supra test was a damn joke.

Mismatched everything, no boost plot, and different information on the same thing throughout the thread.

I got a 6266 in the shop so once my car is up and running I'll get a back to back with it against mine. Both will be T3, SS (sorry no TS) and same A/R's.
Old Jun 12, 2012 | 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

Dynapack is hub power... 6-8% less than wheel power... due to slip.
Just saying... dynapack is very nice for tuning.

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
^ you, me, and all my friends.

550whp isn't bad! You guys were picking up 10whp per psi at 28. I know denkers was running 28psi out the top end with a 2.3l and huge cams, I would think your 2.0l could run 32psi + out the top end.

What fuel mike?
Old Jun 12, 2012 | 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry 550 at the hubs. I was just converting it for other Americans
Old Jun 12, 2012 | 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RSMike
Fuel is Gull Force Pro (E85) that comes in 200Litre drums.
It's 15% 95RON gas and 85% E98 (denatured Ethanol).
Bah - can't delete my response, for some reason I was thinking of Alcotane when I wrote my first reply - ignore me
Old Jun 12, 2012 | 06:04 PM
Account Disabled

Borg Warner EFRs are scheduled to resume shipping in August. This long wait (1.5 years since the launch) has not been easy for Full-Race to work around. The fact that the EFR's are that good is what keeps us hanging on. As of right now, there is nothing like these turbos on the market. While there are different brands with comparable dyno charts, none have integrated wastegates, built-in BOV, stainless turbine housing, titanium turbine wheel, high grade bearing, etc that the EFR comes standard with. We are grateful to everyone who has remained patient, as this has taken a good deal longer than any of us could have anticipated.

Our local track Hampton Downs has two hairpins. He usually exits turn 9 in 2nd gear, but now he said you can exit in 3rd gear with some pre-emptive throttle input and it absolutely rockets out of the corner. He said the boost ramps up really hard. I'll have to get him to do some logging to show what i mean. imo the most surprising part of the whole equation is the 28psi @ 3000rpm is makes in "hold mode" on the Dynapack dyno. That's 200whp @ 3000rpm. Obviously it's loaded up, but the fact that it can do that is amazing.
the way EFR's respond to throttle input is remarkable. By cutting the rotational inertia in half it makes for a noticeable improvement to any experienced driver. An additional benefit (as you found) is the power it makes at low rpm under heavy load is very high. This is similar to what Mark Shead saw on a twinscroll 7670 months ago. Ive been fortunate to daily drive my EFR evo every day and I just keep grinning

Personally i dont think this setup is maxed out yet. The torque curve isn't massively diving, it could take more boost.
I'll be getting in touch with Geoff@Full-Race, hopefully i'll get Carl to fit a turbine speed sensor to keep an eye on shaft speeds. We are now looking for a 8374 for testing and development I'll guess we'll just have to get in line!
thanks mike - I would be interested to know what your shaft speeds are running at on the 2.0L subie. You are not alone in looking for that 8374 but hopefully we can fill the backorders quickly and make this waiting game a thing of the past
Old Jun 12, 2012 | 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

geoff, you gonna set your 8374 to kill soon?
Old Jun 12, 2012 | 10:11 PM
Account Disabled

we just got a deal with Ford - building some ecoboosts for SEMA, so my evo is literally my daily transportation at the moment. I havent had any time to work on it, just driving it and loving the car. When i find the time i will install a walbro 416 fuel pump and push it harder, but thats not going to be until august more than likely

Quick Reply: New BW EFR Turbo Thread