Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New BW EFR Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2012 | 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by project_skyline
-

Anyway I'm hoping to fire up my car and have it dialed in by the end of the month.
Get mine done first!!!!!
Old Aug 7, 2012 | 06:28 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 03Ev0luti0n
Thanks Geoff. I was actually looking at that manifold though out my research . Do you have a Manifold for the T3 flange as well? I like the option of the Re-circulating waste gate with .83 A/R.
the EFR turbo is physically longer than traditional turbos (especially integrated WG versions) so it's unlikely to fit most off the shelf manifolds. Full-Race offers an internal WG compatible manifold for the EFR, and we can supply with T3 flange singlescroll or T4 twinscroll, both internal gate only. I have not found a way to keep stock radiator/fan AND internal WG on the EFR, they are mutually exclusive. Pick one or the other for CT9A (evoX has this a bit easier)

Originally Posted by zertek2k
I should hopefully be able to give you some numbers of a 7064 T4 1.05 on a 2L next week so long as my fabricator gets done with my manifold. Numbers wont be massive as for the time being im only running it on a stock motor so am not going to push it to hard
the 7064 is a solid turbo, basically a twinscroll 3071R on steroids. Not good for bragging rights, but it can make for a monstrous powerband. make sure your fabricator uses dual wastegates and proper cyl pairing for the 1.05 to do it's thing

Originally Posted by zertek2k
As a reference, an Evo X Time Attack car over here got tuned last week with a 7670 T4 1.05 2L built motor, Cosworth Head, Full-race manifold. made 357kw(480hp) at the wheels on 24psi on a Dyno Dynamics. Pretty soft tune just for testing to get some laps on the car before World Time Attack next week. Also was making 24psi at 3100-3200 rpm

here is the dyno chart of the evoX w/ 7670 1.05 a/r. Scott @ Insight built and tuned this car, his comment is that this turbokit/engine combination was a "weapon" - really excited to see it competing at WTAC

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
I wonder which would spool faster?
7064 single scroll or 7670 twin scroll?
for me i really like the 7670 twinscroll powerband, im still considering to run that on my evo instead of the 8374

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Garrett corrects their maps to 85F and 13.95 PSIA inlet pressures (roughly equivalent to 1800' above sea level...or simply the pressure seen on a sea level car when using any decent an air filter that fits in a car). I am not positive on this, but I think BW corrects to 14.7 PSIA and 75F. If I am correct, go ahead and knock 6% off to start with to make up for the difference in standard conditions. After that, BW looks to rate their turbo based on absolute shaft speed limit where Garrett typically rates it based on maximum airflow that it can sustain above 60% efficiency. If I'm right on both of these observations, it turns your 79 lb/min rated BW turbo into a 72 lb/min Garrett equivalent. Realize though, the Garrett can be driven "off the map" and that 72 lb/min Garrett will max out around 75 lb/min at the above mentioned inlet conditions.
response from BW engineering:

BorgWarner's compressor maps are corrected to 298K (25C) and 100kPa. In English units, this is 77F and 14.50psia. Most people in the engine industry would agree that this fits the definition of "standard atmospheric conditions". If you ask an aeronautical guy, their answer is a little different.

The Garrett correction factors of 85F and 13.95psia are a bit unusual and I don't know what the origin is. For a correction factor of "1", that would be like a summer day at around 1500' elevation. The reality is that it doesn't matter what the correction factors are as long as the map is accurate and as long as a person is doing a correct match using those factors instead of just tossing around numbers. Our OE customers deal with multiple turbo suppliers and they know their way around these differences. It's a non-issue.

The correction factor difference between these two conditions (77F versus 85F and 14.5psi versus 13.95psi) is 2.7%, not 6% quoted by the writer.

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Maybe it's a bad understand of this whole thing on my part
no disrespect, it seems like a bad understanding on your part... no need to jump to conclusions that BW is inflating comp maps. They are good, honest people there. here is some more info for anyone else interested:

On our published 83mm EFR comp map, he is correct, the last island shown is 65%. However, it is easy to extrapolate where the 60% island would be based on where the 65% and 68% islands are. I just sketched it out and I think it's a very reasonable claim to say that the 60% approach and the max-speed approach yields pretty much the same answer. Clearly it depends on what pressure ratio is being used... the guy running a 2.0 pressure ratio will hit 60% efficiency long before he reaches terminal speed. In one area of the map (around 3.0 PR or 30psi boost) the two coincide... at least on a map of this style/shape.

In actual use, there's nothing magic about 60% as a cut-off. Sure, performance starts to diminish as efficiency drops but who's to say where the cut-off is? This is the reason why we publish a map instead of simply saying "this is a 79 lb/min compressor".

Last edited by Geoff Raicer; Aug 7, 2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2012 | 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Good discussion. I think 03white hit the nail on the head with the actual flow numbers being based on different ambient conditions. He came out with the wrong number, but was on the right path. Helps explain the differences from published theoretical to actual dyno numbers we have been seeing. Thanks Geoff for the response!
Old Aug 7, 2012 | 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff
response from BW engineering:

BorgWarner's compressor maps are corrected to 298K (25C) and 100kPa. In English units, this is 77F and 14.50psia. Most people in the engine industry would agree that this fits the definition of "standard atmospheric conditions". If you ask an aeronautical guy, their answer is a little different.

The Garrett correction factors of 85F and 13.95psia are a bit unusual and I don't know what the origin is. For a correction factor of "1", that would be like a summer day at around 1500' elevation. The reality is that it doesn't matter what the correction factors are as long as the map is accurate and as long as a person is doing a correct match using those factors instead of just tossing around numbers. Our OE customers deal with multiple turbo suppliers and they know their way around these differences. It's a non-issue.

The correction factor difference between these two conditions (77F versus 85F and 14.5psi versus 13.95psi) is 2.7%, not 6% quoted by the writer.

no disrespect, it seems like a bad understanding on your part... no need to jump to conclusions that BW is inflating comp maps. They are good, honest people there. here is some more info for anyone else interested:
Nice, thank you.
If it came across as insinuating they are trying intentionally to mislead, I apologize. I meant it more like "hey, something ****y is going on here" in more of a skeptical sense. Garrett and BW are using very different conditions and limits to suggest airflow capability though and that is what I was pointing out. And really, let's be realistic, the max airflow is listed clearly on the compressor flow map in an effort to provide a number that people are use to hearing and that number sways the judgement in favor of the BW due to an uneven playing field to the uninformed, intentional or not. I also stated why I believe Garrett uses 13.9 PSI, I imagine it is based on the idea that a typical OEM turbo inlet system is going to have about that range of inlet pressure under service conditions.

But let's get to the rest of the statement where I supposedly don't understand what's going on.

I can admit when I'm wrong, and actually, I did make a mistake here. I pulled those numbers straight out of the matchbot program. Where I made the actual mistake was I had forgotten to zero out the air filter pressure drop setting. My numbers are off, as I basically corrected for 13.75 psia. I apologize for the mistake and will update that chart (taking it down until I get around to it as well) accordingly, however, I understand far better then most how this works, the fact I even mention these subtleties should clue you in to that.

I still disagree with the 2.7% number you posted though. It's actually closer to 4.1% using the matchbot program. Put the numbers in and try it for your self. Either their program is wrong...or hey, I guess I'm still missing a setting in there. This time I was pretty careful to double check it though. Now, I did toss in some numbers really quick to good old PV=mRT to find density as-> P/T = mR/V and interestingly enough, it's a 5.8% difference between the two conditions still...weird.

85F - 13.95 PSIA = 1.1075 kg/m^3
75F - 14.5 PSIA = 1.1727 kg/m^3

1.1727 / 1.1075 = 1.058 or 5.8%

Or (1.1727 - 1.1075)/1.1727 = 5.6%
Or (1.1075 - 1.1727)/1.1075 = -5.9%

I mean, I don't get 2.7% no matter how I look at it. Maybe they can explain where I'm wrong here.

Beyond that though, I never once said either of the turbos reached a true choke flow limit. I simply pointed out the airflow rating you are use to hearing from Garrett are based on the maximum airflow that can be pumped out at 60% efficiency...regardless of pressure ratio and the number printed on the BW charts is not based on the same standards.

Do you dispute that claim?

Also, I don't disagree, Garrett's standard seems arbitrary and 100kPa and 25C is much more standard...but that's not really the point. The point is putting the comparison on a level field, regardless of why it is not level to start with. Also, frankly, I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned yet as, really, all we have at this point is compressor flow maps and a few random cars to look at for data. I would think these peculiarities would have been talked about and carefully explained to properly inform potential customers.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Aug 7, 2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2012 | 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

Who makes the efr turbo ??? Any info available...
Old Aug 8, 2012 | 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by N33d4r33d
Who makes the efr turbo ??? Any info available...
Seriously? Did you even read the last two posts (not to mention the whole thread)???

BW = Borg Warner = manufacturer of EFR turbos.

l8r)
Old Aug 8, 2012 | 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Corrected the mistake I had made previously. I added in turbine flow as well.

Name:  EFRvsGTXFlow.png
Views: 0
Size:  74.2 KB

As I have mentioned previously, yes, the TiAl wheels are likely a lot lighter for a given wheel diameter...but the Garretts have wheels that are A LOT smaller diameter for a given flow rate. I question how much difference there is in wheel inertia for a given flow requirement. That said, it's pretty likely the EFR wheel being larger will have better overall system efficiency. Let's suppose inertia is even for a given flow rate requirement between the two companies, the EFR wheel should provide better overall performance due to closer wheel tip speeds.

It would be nice to know peak efficiencies on the EFR turbine wheels just to get a rough idea of how they compare to the Garrett wheels. The GT turbine wheels aren't eactly junk when it comes to efficiency...some hitting at high as 74%. They are good wheels, just curious if the EFR wheels out do them.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Aug 8, 2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2012 | 09:16 AM
Account Disabled

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...on-s300sx.html #justsayin
Old Aug 11, 2012 | 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

https://vimeo.com/47358007

Quick iPhone video.... I'll get the go pro out later today
Old Aug 11, 2012 | 09:02 AM
Evolved Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by evosdad
https://vimeo.com/47358007

Quick iPhone video.... I'll get the go pro out later today
Who are you tuned by?
Old Aug 11, 2012 | 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Self tuned by a buddy of mine.

Car is running rich. Just rewired the fuel pump, so it's time to go tune some more

Last edited by evosdad; Aug 11, 2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2012 | 07:39 AM

been lurking as a subaru owner for a long time and really appreciate the activity in this thread as things are much slower on my platform for data.

i'm going for a bit more power but staying with an EFR and am selling my barely used T4 twinscroll IWG 7064 for anyone interested or doesn't feel like waiting for BW to start shipping these again. the FS post in on nasioc - http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...php?p=37798615. you can pm me here or there as we all seem to share the passion for this setup on multiple forums, haha.

project_skyline - are you still looking to the end of month for completion with the 8374? i'm eager to see your results!
Old Aug 21, 2012 | 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

Everyday i'm closer to test out my EFR... now car is back from the Fab shop, it had the front end modded so the radiator can be pulled 1.5in away from the dump tubes for extra clearance. I'll put some pictures of the front and under so you get a better idea of the work that was done.
Name:  fab3.jpg
Size:  203.7 KB
Name:  fab2.jpg
Size:  180.3 KB
Name:  fab1.jpg
Size:  179.1 KB
Name:  diabloo.jpg
Size:  164.3 KB