Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New BW EFR Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2012 | 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by 4ukc
I have ordered EFR Turbo 7670 on 21st of August, and it is not ready yet, can anyone tell what is going on with BW?
what year? LOL
Old Nov 13, 2012 | 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Talx
what year? LOL
Hahaha, yeah, I ordered mine on 13 November..... 2010... Just passed the two year mark - no turbo.
Old Nov 13, 2012 | 03:46 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by MrLith
Gist at the end of the day is the EFRs are pretty awesome turbos, I am most impressed with the more recent history of events regarding them.
wow lith - you have come around, thanks for keeping an open mind

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
would be interesting to see the trend line form with regards to transient response of the Ti wheels vs. diameter against the steel alloy wheels vs. diameter. I think the spread will widen as the wheel diameter gets larger in favor of the EFR. And if Brock at BW is right about it (which because he's already tested it... he probably is) that WILL be the case.
once people start playing with the twinscroll 9180s and 8374s - and the high power guys try the 1.45 a/r - that is when there will be no doubt remaining. I wish it was summer already...

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
ha... funny that garrett's GTX wheels now have BW extended tip geometry. also funny that garrett has a "boost advisor" to keep up with BW's "matchbot" just wanted to point that out :/

lolicopters...

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Most turbochargers that spool well usually end up with surge lugging them in 5th gear. It's the nature of the beast...The EFR wheels definitely have an advantage there though on the compressor maps.
agreed, 4G63 is very easy to surge with numerous early spooling turbos whether twinscroll gt35r, s300sx, efr, fp, etc

Originally Posted by Talonboost
Here in these 2 pics are the results I got from Garrett boost advisor, asking for 600hp at the crankshaft. "Mid range" rpm is 5000, "Max power" rpm is 7500, race gas, cool western Washington weather conditions, GTX3071. The left red dot (mid range point) is quite off the map. The map is zoomed which is why you can't see the vert or horiz scales. But the pressure ratio and airflow numbers are given in the accompanying chart.
If you put these same 2 points on a EFR7670 map, the "mid" point is very comfortably on the map at better than 70% efficiency.
Yep it's kinda funny.
I guess my thought about the charts I posted above is, my "mid" point at 5000 rpm that's in surge territory - fer crum sake this is not exactly lugging the engine... It's a bugger that a turbo significantly smaller than the EFR7670 should be in surge at a point that should be a very useful part of the rev band.
Ill admit to not having used the garrett app - but if youre interested i believe someone on nasioc hacked the matchbot so it can be used to overlay the GT and GTX compressors, Id agree with your assessment however

So let's see what turbos the advisor picks out for ernie: Aw bummer there aren't any GTX's on the list!

Let's look at the map for one of these turbos, with the 2 points plotted:

[IMG][/IMG]

Man look at that first point way out in left field. RT, it might just be that you can't do what you did with any Garrett turbo
i used to recommend twinscroll GT4088R's, until the BW S300SX became available. now that the EFR are finally shipping we are seeing the results that are indisputable.. no other commercially available turbo design can acheive this operating condition

Originally Posted by -Totenkopf-
Hahaha, yeah, I ordered mine on 13 November..... 2010... Just passed the two year mark - no turbo.
if you ordered it from full-race expect an update this week

Last edited by Geoff Raicer; Nov 13, 2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012 | 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff
once people start playing with the twinscroll 9180s and 8374s - and the high power guys try the 1.45 a/r - that is when there will be no doubt remaining. I wish it was summer already...
Any idea when that might be? I know that is what I have been waiting for.

Really wanting to see how much the 9180 is good for.
Old Nov 13, 2012 | 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

wow lith - you have come around, thanks for keeping an open mind
I have been consistently objective through the whole thing, and I have wanted to see them do what it looked like they should from the start and am far from eating my words about reliability and supply when it was obviously an issue. I am glad they are a good thing, shame about how long it has been taking to turn them into a viable product
Old Nov 13, 2012 | 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

geoff, is the 1.45 something i should consider? any ideas on spool vs. top end?

ts t4 8374
10:1 2.23L
headgames race head
ams f1-i
all the rest of the good stuff.
Old Nov 13, 2012 | 05:37 PM
Account Disabled

i dont know the exact change yet. The 1.45's are slated to be available in june or july and sold as turbine housing only, so it will make sense for guys like you who start with the 1.05
Old Nov 14, 2012 | 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

What are these more "recent events" that have supported the EFRs? Have more started to show results now on back to back comparisions?

If so, post up the links, let's see what they have managed to do!

Pics of EFR7163 with V-band housing? Will it by chance interchange with a Tial housed GTX3071R?

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Nov 14, 2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2012 | 08:51 AM

What are these more "recent events" that have supported the EFRs? Have more started to show results now on back to back comparisions?

If so, post up the links, let's see what they have managed to do!

Pics of EFR7163 with V-band housing? Will it by chance interchange with a Tial housed GTX3071R?
Ditto, I have not seen much in the way of results in months.
Old Nov 14, 2012 | 09:12 AM

now that the EFR are finally shipping we are seeing the results that are indisputable.. no other commercially available turbo design can acheive this operating condition

if you ordered it from full-race expect an update this week
so are the T4 8374's shipping out yet?

if I order it from a distributer of full-race what does that mean?

I have not received my turbo yet

Last edited by Talx; Nov 14, 2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2012 | 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Talx,
who did you buy your turbo from?
Old Nov 14, 2012 | 04:19 PM

thanks for posting that info - what displacement are these motors? I read but did not see it, also what is your power target for this 7064? Im about to try a 7064 twinscroll on my 3.5L F150 motor
Hi Geoff,

Stock evo 2L motor. only internal change is the HKS cams. Before the tune I was hoping we could get it to 320-330kw on 30psi but after the tune it looks like we might make it to 360kw on 30psi when the new motor goes in.
Old Nov 14, 2012 | 07:04 PM
Account Disabled

What are these more "recent events" that have supported the EFRs?

-FXMD switches to EFR 9180 turbo, pinches WG hose, pops motor, throws in a new motor on the same turbo - one flyer lap and sets a new record, little more info Here not a back to back like your asking for, but certainly a vote of confidence

-indycar 2012 wrapped up, not one single EFR turbo failure during the entire season (every car in the field ran an EFR, or two)

- I spoke with Dario Franchitti (multiple winner of indy 500) and asked how he likes the twinscroll 9180 on his car. He looked me in the eye and said its so brutally fast it's taught him to be extra smooth on the throttle, becuase if he is not pointed in the right direction and stabs the gas, there would be consequences

there is a good possibility they would both fit - the flanges share the same geometry and the B1 efr is close to the same axial length... but with much smaller compressor housing OD it should package nicely

Originally Posted by zertek2k
Stock evo 2L motor. only internal change is the HKS cams. Before the tune I was hoping we could get it to 320-330kw on 30psi but after the tune it looks like we might make it to 360kw on 30psi when the new motor goes in.
glad to hear it, many people see that and think "pffft i make 480whp in my bathtub" but im certain that is a very quick and fun to drive 360kw! probably drives and feels like a healthy V8 under the hood

Originally Posted by Talx
I order it from a distributer of full-race what does that mean? I have not received my turbo yet
Most of the turbos we have in stock are T3 EFRs of most sizes. There are some T4 twinscroll EFRs coming through (not as many), sp we are shipping turbos as soon as they arrive they are heading out the door to fill backorders. PM me your info, ill check on it
Old Nov 14, 2012 | 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

listen to the video..

http://vimeo.com/53130736
Old Nov 15, 2012 | 11:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Treadstone Performance on facebook announcement

"BORG WARNER EFR TURBOS IN STOCK!!
7064, 7670, 8374 , 9180 , 6758 , 6258... In T4 Twin Also.."

Quick Reply: New BW EFR Turbo Thread