Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New BW EFR Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2012 | 02:48 AM

Sort of wondering what this means for blokes like myself that ordered and paid over 2 years ago. If pricing has changed due to housing manufacture change, I wonder if we will be reimbursed...
Old Nov 28, 2012 | 03:58 AM
Evolving Member

Mine looks de maravilla!
Old Nov 28, 2012 | 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by -Totenkopf-
Sort of wondering what this means for blokes like myself that ordered and paid over 2 years ago. If pricing has changed due to housing manufacture change, I wonder if we will be reimbursed...
ummm are you serious??? Do you mean you paid and not received in two years?? or you have it, but wondering if you can get some money back?
Old Nov 28, 2012 | 11:03 AM

No he isn't joking. BW holds onto our money interest free for 2 years, lied perpetually on a monthly basis about delivery dates, then does the bait and switch with the exhaust housing? Everyone that paid the original price for an investment casted SS housing should be getting a refund for original price minus the current price that takes into account the current downgraded sand casted housing. Obviously the difference refunds only if you are getting a turbo with a sand casting.

My 8374 IWG t3 showed up this week looking similar to the pictures posted here. It feels like I ordered a car and paid up front for it, took a couple of years to arrive, then had a 300hp v6 instead of a 300hp i4 turbo. Even if the performance is the same within 1%, it isn't what I ordered. Now BW will say they will offer a full refund and give your turbo to the next in line, but that doesn't help my customers that already have EFR specific IWG manifolds and offset EFR downpipes on their shelves for 2 years waiting. I doubt they are going to pay for those manifolds to be modified for other turbos readily available right??

I really am at a loss to why BW couldn't get an investment cast to work in this application. This whole project has never felt like a multi-billion dollar company making a performance turbocharger. IMO, it feels like a team of engineers approaching a big brand with the idea of using the brand to sell turbos. This housing cluster is just another scent of outsourcing gone wrong.

As to offering coatings free of charge, that is just funny.

/rant
Old Nov 28, 2012 | 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

check out my housing....

Name:  DSCF1029.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  68.0 KB
Name:  DSCF1028.jpg
Size:  59.3 KB
Name:  DSCF1026.jpg
Size:  64.8 KB
Name:  DSCF1025.jpg
Size:  75.2 KB
Name:  DSCF1024.jpg
Size:  59.6 KB
Name:  DSCF1021.jpg
Size:  92.9 KB
Name:  DSCF1018.jpg
Size:  69.5 KB

After porting...
Name:  update081.jpg
Size:  52.2 KB
Name:  update080.jpg
Size:  44.3 KB
Name:  update077.jpg
Size:  58.4 KB
Old Nov 28, 2012 | 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

That looks good to me... who has the bad housing pics? Put them side by side and lets see the difference

Last edited by EvoLutionized8; Nov 28, 2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2012 | 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by URQaudiguy
No he isn't joking. BW holds onto our money interest free for 2 years, lied perpetually on a monthly basis about delivery dates, then does the bait and switch with the exhaust housing? Everyone that paid the original price for an investment casted SS housing should be getting a refund for original price minus the current price that takes into account the current downgraded sand casted housing. Obviously the difference refunds only if you are getting a turbo with a sand casting.

My 8374 IWG t3 showed up this week looking similar to the pictures posted here. It feels like I ordered a car and paid up front for it, took a couple of years to arrive, then had a 300hp v6 instead of a 300hp i4 turbo. Even if the performance is the same within 1%, it isn't what I ordered. Now BW will say they will offer a full refund and give your turbo to the next in line, but that doesn't help my customers that already have EFR specific IWG manifolds and offset EFR downpipes on their shelves for 2 years waiting. I doubt they are going to pay for those manifolds to be modified for other turbos readily available right??

I really am at a loss to why BW couldn't get an investment cast to work in this application. This whole project has never felt like a multi-billion dollar company making a performance turbocharger. IMO, it feels like a team of engineers approaching a big brand with the idea of using the brand to sell turbos. This housing cluster is just another scent of outsourcing gone wrong.

/rant
wow, well that's disheartening to hear.. I hope everyone gets what they paid for and then some for compensation due to BW and associated companies involved. If not, then as a consumer, would decide to choose something else... Kinda like Walmart.. I don't EVER shop there anymore.
Old Nov 28, 2012 | 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Should have my IWG EFR8374 soon. I'll post pics as soon as I have it. Unfortunately the manifold is still a ways out, so it looks like it'll be a winter project (probably a good thing) to get it all setup and squared away.

l8r)
Old Nov 28, 2012 | 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Well it seems like there is sufficient evidence throughout the world from different customers, class action lawsuit perhaps? Sucks for those who have waited so long, hopefully it gets sorted out professionally by BW.
Originally Posted by URQaudiguy

/rant
Old Nov 28, 2012 | 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

R/T did you actually port with a mandrel and then clean up or just clean up with sanding rolls?
Old Nov 28, 2012 | 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
check out my housing....

After porting...

What model is it?
no v-band on compressor outlet?
what about the turbine housing is it stainless steel?
Old Nov 28, 2012 | 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

T4 TS 1.05A/R 7670
No v-band on the compressor... the C frame's have that. This is a B frame.
The entire turbine housing is stainless steel.

As for porting... I used a SE-5 Carbide to gasket match and blend, then I used a tapered sanding cartridge, and then a Flap wheel.

Standard Abrasives that I bought through Joe Mondello @ mondello.com

If anyone wants me to port their IWG EFR... send me your gasket and turbine housing and a bit of cash
Old Nov 28, 2012 | 02:01 PM

some good news!!!......should be getting my turbo very soon now.
aren't i a happy bunny
Old Nov 28, 2012 | 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ Exactly why people are pissed. Ha. What was advertised is awesome, what they might get looks like it came out of the 60s. Hell even the old turd Ford 5-bolts look better then what was posted.

That said, what the hell is up with the radius outlet? Maybe it's a reverse flow turbine???

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Nov 28, 2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2012 | 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
T4 TS 1.05A/R 7670
No v-band on the compressor... the C frame's have that. This is a B frame.
The entire turbine housing is stainless steel.

As for porting... I used a SE-5 Carbide to gasket match and blend, then I used a tapered sanding cartridge, and then a Flap wheel.

Standard Abrasives that I bought through Joe Mondello @ mondello.com

If anyone wants me to port their IWG EFR... send me your gasket and turbine housing and a bit of cash
ok thanks

By the way are the pictures you posted of a turbo you just received from one of the new batches?

Quick Reply: New BW EFR Turbo Thread