Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New BW EFR Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2013 | 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by adrianojp
I agree! Awesome video, driver and these EFR's look the world. I am saving up to put one on my new 2.2 motor!

•Super B Lithium Small Battery •
adrian, what kind of fire extinguisher do you have onboard?
Old Feb 9, 2013 | 01:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
^ nice vid mike! That car does very well under braking! Car sounds familiar
Thanks Eric, I sent you the link on Facebook as well!
He's chomping through a set of brake pads a day at the moment, i'm going to get him onto some ENDLESS Brake pads and they will last considerably longer.
It surprises me that he doesn't get compression lock using no throttle on downshift.
He's using a 5-speed PPG dogbox, Xtreme twin plate (ceramic).

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Very nice. What's the approximate weight of the car? He was easily outbraking everyone...

l8r)
He said it's about 1200kg (2640lb), i'm assuming without him in it. It's got a full cage, custom suspension arms (where required) and a full rollcage. Also some great aero - full slick undertray and cool front splitter.

Originally Posted by Talonboost
Man, that is a nice vid. Good car, good driver, good camera, thanks for the 1080 HD. Seems to be getting real good throttle modulation.
Can you make it show tach instead of speedo?
Darn those Porsches get in the way!
Thanks! That video took me about 10hrs to upload all 2.5GB haha. If he had logged his run I could have put up RPM info, but no logging at this stage.
This was a handicapped race, driver release placement was based on qualifying time, that's why he started in the pits almost one full lap behind first place.

Originally Posted by acssa
Does he run dysump or wet sump?
Dry Sump, but it's an Evo 1-3 engine and a RH track so he wouldn't have problems with a wet sump setup.

Last edited by RSMike; Feb 9, 2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2013 | 02:00 PM

adrian, what kind of fire extinguisher do you have onboard?
What do you intend with your statement?
Old Feb 9, 2013 | 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

What do you intend with your statement?
Well, Lithium batteries are kind of in the news lately due to the 787 airplanes are all grounded because of their Lithium batteries catching fire! So, just a little joke. But it's a subject that is not so funny to some.
It's a good idea to have a fire extinguisher handy on board in any case. I have a 2.5 pound Halotron in my car, which I think is kind of a minimum. And I don't even have a Lithium battery (except in my laptop).

Last edited by Talonboost; Feb 9, 2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2013 | 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Tell him to use Raybestos ST-43's or 45's. Once he starts using those he love his brakes.
Old Feb 9, 2013 | 10:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Tell him to use Raybestos ST-43's or 45's. Once he starts using those he love his brakes.
Why would I do that?
I'm the ENDLESS agent in New Zealand, I only want people using ENDLESS because they are the best!

Last edited by RSMike; Feb 9, 2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2013 | 10:46 PM

Well, Lithium batteries are kind of in the news lately due to the 787 airplanes are all grounded because of their Lithium batteries catching fire! So, just a little joke. But it's a subject that is not so funny to some.
It's a good idea to have a fire extinguisher handy on board in any case. I have a 2.5 pound Halotron in my car, which I think is kind of a minimum. And I don't even have a Lithium battery (except in my laptop).
Ah, now I understand you saw my battery in the signature!
Well, at AJPerformance we have been using Super B batteries for a couple of years now and, to date, no issue to report. I may also state that no other car has flamed up in Italy with these batteries. I would know as we are one of the two importers.
I see your point though, as I play with 200cm long RC powerboats when I have time (almost never). This boat is fuelled by huge lithium batteries in a soft packaging, and are very very unstable! Both mischarging and poking will lead to fatal issues.
But sleep well, for now cars seem to be keeping well...
Old Feb 10, 2013 | 01:32 AM
Evolving Member

I play with 200cm long RC powerboats when I have time (almost never). This boat is fuelled by huge lithium batteries in a soft packaging, and are very very unstable! Both mischarging and poking will lead to fatal issues.
Aha - good - you are in the know then because of your RC history. An RC guy I work with told me that the RC people take a lot of precautions with their Li batteries. Here is a quote from an add for an item you can buy called a "Battery Bunker".

" .... The Battery Bunker is designed to reduce the risk of catastrophic fire caused by a LiPo battery mishap ....."

Glad that the full-size car batteries seem to be working out!

With the full-size airplanes, there have been 2 "incidents" in about 100,000 flight hours, which is not nearly good enough to meet FAA and NTSB requirements.

Last edited by Talonboost; Feb 10, 2013 at 01:44 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2013 | 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Agent or no agent... endless are the best full stop.

Originally Posted by RSMike
Why would I do that?
I'm the ENDLESS agent in New Zealand, I only want people using ENDLESS because they are the best!
Old Feb 10, 2013 | 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by acssa
Agent or no agent... endless are the best full stop.
Yes, Endless are special pads and discs, very special
Old Feb 10, 2013 | 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
Turbine housing on the current setup is the ATP 1.06 A/R T4 TS.

There was no difference in spool and the only thing you felt was additional pull on the topend. When I spoke with the Garrett engineers about upgrading they recommended that I try the larger turbine wheel first. Based on results they had seen from an EVO X (GTX3076r vs GTX3576r) they lost no spool and gained 40whp up top. I was somewhat skeptical, but obviousy my results confirmed that as well. My intent is to redyno the new setup in the next 2 weeks and I expect to see over 500hp@wheels on 93 octane and hopefully full boost (33psi) in 3rd gear by 4K rpm.

New Setup Changes:
-Curt Brown 10:1 2L (no balance shafts)
-Bosch P100-T COPs (dwell set for 90mJ)
But with the last setup you already obtained 550 whp on 93 octane, you would obtain the same power (550whp) with better spool now, maybe full boost at 4k as you say

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-gtx3576r.html

Last edited by _david_; Feb 11, 2013 at 01:22 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2013 | 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

240Z twin turbo,
Have you taken your car to a Dyno to validate your numbers? I'd be curious to see what it puts down on a DJ.
Old Feb 11, 2013 | 02:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by _david_
But with the last setup you already obtained 550 whp on 93 octane, you would obtain the same power (550whp) with better spool now, maybe full boost at 4k as you say

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-gtx3576r.html

Good question.

When the weather is <60F I typically run 33psi, which yields significantly different results than 90F weather and 30psi. The runs you show above were done in 39F weather and ~32psi. The difference in those two conditions could be 40-50hp. My comment about wanting 500hp@wheels is really a goal for summer conditions (90+F) using 93octane and running ~30psi

Keep in mind my tunes are conservative with ~11:1 AFR and 0deg(4.25k) ramped to 8deg(8k) on the old setup. The new motor is currently -2deg(4.25k) ramped to 7deg(8k)

As far as spool, I have already established this on the new setup and typically see ~30psi by ~4K rpm in 3rd gear from a roll.
Old Feb 11, 2013 | 02:57 AM
Evolved Member

240Z twin turbo,
Have you taken your car to a Dyno to validate your numbers? I'd be curious to see what it puts down on a DJ.
Yes, I took it to a DJ in July of last year.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...0hp-375tq.html

I plan to take it again this week.
Old Feb 11, 2013 | 04:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
Good question.

When the weather is <60F I typically run 33psi, which yields significantly different results than 90F weather and 30psi. The runs you show above were done in 39F weather and ~32psi. The difference in those two conditions could be 40-50hp. My comment about wanting 500hp@wheels is really a goal for summer conditions (90+F) using 93octane and running ~30psi

Keep in mind my tunes are conservative with ~11:1 AFR and 0deg(4.25k) ramped to 8deg(8k) on the old setup. The new motor is currently -2deg(4.25k) ramped to 7deg(8k)

As far as spool, I have already established this on the new setup and typically see ~30psi by ~4K rpm in 3rd gear from a roll.
Ok, big hp difference between exterior temperatures but I think that maybe with a different tuning setup there would be a less hp difference. Don't you think the same?

Then you expect 500whp in high exterior temperatures, on a DJ or a VD?

Last edited by _david_; Feb 11, 2013 at 04:28 AM.

Quick Reply: New BW EFR Turbo Thread