Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New BW EFR Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2011 | 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

I'll wait for some more conclusive testing. Perrin's testing in a subaru didn't show anything very spectacular or anything.

I hope they perform like they are said to on paper.
Old Apr 22, 2011 | 11:20 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by erickponce
Geoff
Are there any new manifold designs in the works to accommodate for the much longer IWG turbos?
yes, I will build that on my personal evo and have full details posted in this thread over the next month. Just waiting on TRE to send me my trans and Headgames to send my cyl head right now. The internal WG's certainly have their benefits, but also keep in mind the a/r is a .92 which going to be a little small and backpressure will get high at 26+psi boost levels. For a twinscroll turbo if you plan to run that high levels of boost most of the time I suggest the 1.05 a/r and external wg's

Originally Posted by RunThat
No worries Geoff! It's not like I can get it installed any time soon yet anyway. I'll just be happy to hear that the rest of my turbo kit is done (DP and mid-pipe, etc.).
the dp/mp setup is finished with fabrication on the 4G64 block and stock evo pan (sorry did not have an ams pan to mock up on) and will be welded monday morning, ill email some pics afterwards to you

Originally Posted by project_skyline
I'll wait for some more conclusive testing. Perrin's testing in a subaru didn't show anything very spectacular or anything. I hope they perform like they are said to on paper.
I do understand that viewpoint, this is still very early in the EFR lifecycle and we have a lot to learn in how to maximize their potential. Obviously EFR turbos excel in twinscroll hotside configuration - perrin tested them on a low VE subaru engine with singlescroll internal WG housings .. they still went head to head with the latest garrett GTX's (which i believe are on backorder for at least 2 months)
Old Apr 22, 2011 | 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff
. The internal WG's certainly have their benefits, but also keep in mind the a/r is a .92 which going to be a little small and backpressure will get high at 26+psi boost levels. For a twinscroll turbo if you plan to run that high levels of boost most of the time I suggest the 1.05 a/r and external wg's

Is that for the flow rate on a 2.3L or a 2.0L? In crunching the numbers on the EFR Matchbot for a 2.0L setup, the .92 A/R 7670 seemed to be fine at 30psi, with a slight taper once you get between 8000-9500 RPM.

l8r)
Old Apr 22, 2011 | 12:22 PM
Account Disabled

i do not have the answer to that question yet - the beauty of these of course is we can swap housings. we will obviously have a lot of 1.05 a/r evo8 results initially, bu will need to get some prototype manifolds built and tested to get .92 Internal WG data

Last edited by Geoff Raicer; Apr 22, 2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2011 | 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

of what i read and understood of the perrin test the efr did actually do well.
Lets face it... all brands of turbo's can make power... even those funny ones out of taiwan... if a turbo flows X LBS/min the engine will make corresponding power.
I am looking for a turbo with response... coming on and of the throttle... and so far the test on the efr show its doing just that.

Originally Posted by project_skyline
I'll wait for some more conclusive testing. Perrin's testing in a subaru didn't show anything very spectacular or anything.

I hope they perform like they are said to on paper.
Old Apr 22, 2011 | 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff
i do not have the answer to that question yet - the beauty of these of course is we can swap housings. we will obviously have a lot of 1.05 a/r evo8 results initially, bu will need to get some prototype manifolds built and tested to get .92 Internal WG data
Would a deposit speed the development of the IWG header development?

l8r)
Old Apr 22, 2011 | 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Geoff, will there be other turbine housing options for the 6758 in the near future?

Am I running the numbers right by saying the 58mm turbine in the 0.64 A/R housing flows roughly 15-16 pounds/min corrected?
Old Apr 22, 2011 | 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

Geoff's magic! Pics of our custom FF TS EFR 9180 kit test fitted onto Geoff's EVO motor! Can't wait to get it back to Akuma Motorsports next month!

Name:  IMG_20110422_114739.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  61.8 KB
Name:  IMG_20110422_114746.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  69.9 KB
Old Apr 22, 2011 | 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

SICK

I take it no air filter?
Old Apr 22, 2011 | 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

No, no filter. Will have some sort of little CF or some type of block off plate for the grille though for when not racing.
Old Apr 23, 2011 | 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Looks awesome, just looked like it sat pretty far forward.
Old Apr 23, 2011 | 10:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Looks awesome, just looked like it sat pretty far forward.
Thanks! Geoff did an amazing job building the manifold from the jig we made and sent off to him. You're right too! The turbo DOES sit pretty far forward. So far, in fact, that we made a bracket that will attach the compressor housing to the frame close to where the stock rad support would go on the passenger-side. We are excited to get this bad boy installed next month. As for not running a filter, we don't think that that should be an issue, especially since this isn't a DD by any means and will never see rain/water. The Buschur FF kit uses a CF block off plate for the grille which is a good idea so as to prevent stuff from entering the turbo compressor and we will most likely build a similar plate for the Voltex front bumper. Now that I think of it, the Voltex bumper doesn't come with a grille either! LOL! Guess we need to make a grille AND a little blocking plate.
Old Apr 24, 2011 | 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RunThat
Thanks! Geoff did an amazing job building the manifold from the jig we made and sent off to him. You're right too! The turbo DOES sit pretty far forward. So far, in fact, that we made a bracket that will attach the compressor housing to the frame close to where the stock rad support would go on the passenger-side. We are excited to get this bad boy installed next month. As for not running a filter, we don't think that that should be an issue, especially since this isn't a DD by any means and will never see rain/water. The Buschur FF kit uses a CF block off plate for the grille which is a good idea so as to prevent stuff from entering the turbo compressor and we will most likely build a similar plate for the Voltex front bumper. Now that I think of it, the Voltex bumper doesn't come with a grille either! LOL! Guess we need to make a grille AND a little blocking plate.
Looks very nice, but may I ask about this bracket from the compressor cover to the frame you mentioned? That doesn't seem like a good idea, sense the motor is moving around, the turbo is on the motor and the turbo has a bracket holding it to the core support? Or did i miss something?

On another note, please post more pics when you get the manifold! Looks great
Old Apr 24, 2011 | 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

not sure if this has been posted in here? EFR single scroll non wastegate turbine housing

Old Apr 24, 2011 | 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Gosh! i cant wait to see results from so many different sizes of these!

Geoff, couldnt you make a Top mount turbo manifold for the Twinscroll Internal wastegate EFR turbos which would give you plenty of room and allow you to keep the AC, with no nasty bends?

Quick Reply: New BW EFR Turbo Thread