Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New BW EFR Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2011 | 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Collin@ToxicFab
Looks very nice, but may I ask about this bracket from the compressor cover to the frame you mentioned? That doesn't seem like a good idea, sense the motor is moving around, the turbo is on the motor and the turbo has a bracket holding it to the core support? Or did i miss something?

On another note, please post more pics when you get the manifold! Looks great
Well, we used one during creating of the manifold jig, but you are right, the motor, while solidly mounted, does move a bit and a bracket may cause issue if attached to the core support. Chances are we won't need one since the manifold will provide all of the support necessary for the turbo. Thanks for pointing that out!
Old Apr 24, 2011 | 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Hum, I hope they are making a thin wall v-band inlet housing that would work for the 6758.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Apr 25, 2011 at 05:23 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2011 | 10:43 AM
bsh
Evolving Member

Hi all
I am installing a 8374 to my Evo 2 and are going to use a speed sensor. It is a very tight fitment to the early Evo and the stock fabricated speed sensor location can not be used. Can I machine a new mount for it where I have put a black X in the picture without any issues? I will be using a Garrett speed sensor since I have it from before and is only 6 mm in diameter. Yes I will void the warranty...

Thanks

Name:  CIMG4829.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  92.0 KB
Old Apr 25, 2011 | 11:07 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by RunThat
The turbo DOES sit pretty far forward. So far, in fact, that we made a bracket that will attach the compressor housing to the frame close to where the stock rad support would go on the passenger-side.
Originally Posted by RunThat
you are right, the motor, while solidly mounted, does move a bit and a bracket may cause issue if attached to the core support. Chances are we won't need one since the manifold will provide all of the support necessary for the turbo. Thanks for pointing that out!
Thanks for posting the pics up here stoked you are so excited. I agree w/ Toxxic - the brace should not be used - no need to do anything like that since this is not a road race or endurance car application

Originally Posted by JC evo1
not sure if this has been posted in here? EFR single scroll non wastegate turbine housing
yes - we've heard from many customers who want to run the EFR turbos on existing T3 manifolds with external wastegates, so we are working with treadstone on this openscroll externally WG'd turbine housing design. Borgwarner is busy with some of their own projects and gave us the green light as well as offered some engineering assistance. We have a lot of cool stuff in store for this year

Originally Posted by -Evo Aaron-
Geoff, couldnt you make a Top mount turbo manifold for the Twinscroll Internal wastegate EFR turbos which would give you plenty of room and allow you to keep the AC, with no nasty bends?
that is the idea - and it will require a custom radiator w/ upper water neck relocated alll the way by the left hand headlight. same as sierra sierra runs, and how cbrd sets up some of their custom evo radiators
Old Apr 25, 2011 | 11:30 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by bsh
I am installing a 8374 to my Evo 2 and are going to use a speed sensor. It is a very tight fitment to the early Evo and the stock fabricated speed sensor location can not be used. Can I machine a new mount for it where I have put a black X in the picture without any issues? I will be using a Garrett speed sensor since I have it from before and is only 6 mm in diameter. Yes I will void the warranty...
thanks for posting that photo. I see why your manifold can not hold the turbo in a position where the speed sensor will fit. Obviously it's very risky to machine a new mount without any issues... this is a compound angle so you will need to set it up in the mill perfectly, and with a rotary table you can rotate the comp hsg and mimic the sensor angle. I do not advise using the garrett speed sensor, but of course that is up to you to experiment and i am interested to know your result either way.

i see you modified your EFR BOV cover to 1/8" NPT, Full-Race makes a similar part:

Old Apr 25, 2011 | 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Geoff will they be making a cover without the sensor and bov thing or no
Old Apr 25, 2011 | 11:40 AM
Account Disabled

the speed sensor bung can easily be removed if you dont want it (dont know why you wouldn't)

the BOV cover delete is also a simple option to remove if you dont want it
Old Apr 25, 2011 | 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff
that is the idea - and it will require a custom radiator w/ upper water neck relocated alll the way by the left hand headlight. same as sierra sierra runs, and how cbrd sets up some of their custom evo radiators
Yes, Not sure how many people would really want the Internal wastegate setup that much to switch to a top mounted setup. My idea was also taking into the consideration the nasty 90degree bend on the downpipe to clear AC even on the Externally gated manifold setups, I saw the setup at your booth at the Modified Mag event on April 2nd here in Phoenix. I was at the tent talking with you guys for probably half and hour. Im very excited to see what these turbos will do. I was just trying to think of ways to improve things.

This picture shows exactly what i was thinking of.
Attached Thumbnails New BW EFR Turbo Thread-pb170157.jpg  
Old Apr 25, 2011 | 11:57 AM
Account Disabled

yes aaron - nice speaking with you at the event, and I agree with you on all points. I will build the internal wastegate setup and the external wastegate setup, and test both on my evo. i will keep whichever ends up being the best fit to my build. i'm planning to start the build thread tonite, got a lot of good info to share with everyone
Old Apr 25, 2011 | 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Hi Geoff, is it possible to have the 9180 that i'm waiting with your BOV cover to 1/8" NPT, and the cold side outlet just cut to fit v-band 2.5 fitting? For me it would be easier......
Btw, is it possible to have an estimate date of delivery for the non waste gated 9180?
Old Apr 25, 2011 | 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

yes aaron - nice speaking with you at the event, and I agree with you on all points. I will build the internal wastegate setup and the external wastegate setup, and test both on my evo. i will keep whichever ends up being the best fit to my build. i'm planning to start the build thread tonite, got a lot of good info to share with everyone
Well if you guys need a car to do some dyno testing locally let me know , Im having my 2.0 built the 23rd of next month and then she'll be ready to rock some serious numbers.

Id love to test some of these new turbos

Its currently a stock 2.0, basic bolt ons. FIC 1450cc injectors, GSC S2 cams, HKS GTII 7460r bolt on Ball bearing turbo running e85 and daily driven .
Old Apr 25, 2011 | 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, Not sure how many people would really want the Internal wastegate setup ..
I'd be #1 on the list. Most preferably an IWG setup into a 3.5" DP.

l8r)
Old Apr 25, 2011 | 01:55 PM
bsh
Evolving Member

thanks for posting that photo. I see why your manifold can not hold the turbo in a position where the speed sensor will fit. Obviously it's very risky to machine a new mount without any issues... this is a compound angle so you will need to set it up in the mill perfectly, and with a rotary table you can rotate the comp hsg and mimic the sensor angle. I do not advise using the garrett speed sensor, but of course that is up to you to experiment and i am interested to know your result either way.

i see you modified your EFR BOV cover to 1/8" NPT, Full-Race makes a similar part:

Thanks Geoff

Can you please explain "compound angle"?
What are the reason not using the Garrett sensor?
Nice BOV covers Only reason I did this 1/8 NPT was that mine was broken when it arrived...

Thanks

Last edited by bsh; Apr 25, 2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2011 | 01:28 PM
Account Disabled

I just started a build thread for my daily-driver evo8 project if youre bored: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ect-build.html

this is the car i will use to prototype the efr internal wastegate turbokit on. There are some cool things ive integrated into the build which you guys might be interested in, such as evoX lcas - so take a look!

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
I'd be #1 on the list. Most preferably an IWG setup into a 3.5" DP. l8r)
I plan to start on this setup in approx 2 weeks, and will be sure to post pics. I do not believe the 3.5" dp will offer any performance advantage over the 3.0" due to the .92 a/r... but of course we all have a lot to learn

Originally Posted by giangi
Hi Geoff, is it possible to have the 9180 that i'm waiting with your BOV cover to 1/8" NPT, and the cold side outlet just cut to fit v-band 2.5 fitting?
hi gianluca, I am sorry but I dont understand exactly what you are asking. Please email me at geoff[at]full-race[dot]com and i will be happy to help accomodate. thank you!

Originally Posted by bsh
Can you please explain "compound angle"? What are the reason not using the Garrett sensor?
a "compound angle" means it has 2 angle components, where the hole is drilled, its not just a simple "drill a hole" at 1 angle and get correct optical readings, these things are not easy or simple and for that reason i strongly urge you to use the EFR sensor. The garrett sensor has a different length and mounting bung as well as being intended for a different mounting angle which i do not know, since we do not use the garrett sensors at all for any turbo.

Well if you guys need a car to do some dyno testing locally let me know.
sounds like a great setup aaron! once the engine is built and running 100% give me a shout

Last edited by Geoff Raicer; Apr 26, 2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2011 | 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

I just started a build thread for my daily-driver evo8 project if youre bored: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-gen...ject-build.htm
Hey Geoff was interested in checking out your thread but the link doesn't work for me

Quick Reply: New BW EFR Turbo Thread