Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New BW EFR Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2015 | 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

^^The turbo is def not clocked correctly.
Old Oct 24, 2015 | 01:38 AM
Evolved Member

has nothing to do with clocking.. the angle of the actuator is dependent on the angle of the mounting plate, not clocking of the exhaust housing..
Old Oct 24, 2015 | 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

BW makes 2 or 3 WG brackets so it's possible you have the wrong one for your application.

Last edited by black E; Oct 24, 2015 at 04:49 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2015 | 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by black E
BW makes 2 or 3 WG brackets so it's possible you have the wrong one for your application.
that is probably the case... I will make a new one anyhow...
Old Oct 24, 2015 | 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
has nothing to do with clocking.. the angle of the actuator is dependent on the angle of the mounting plate, not clocking of the exhaust housing..
wrong. it has everything to do with clocking.
Old Oct 24, 2015 | 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
wrong. it has everything to do with clocking.
then please let me know how clocking it differently would change anything when the actuator is positioned at a fixed angle???? Without changing the mounting plate there is no way in hell the actuator will sit at a different angle..
Old Oct 24, 2015 | 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

this makes the rod come in to the flapper arm at an angle of 64 deg, instead of 90 deg. Ok, it is not a huge difference, the force is about 11% lower because of that, but still.
I didn't think it was supposed to be at 90 deg until it's part way through the rotation. Full rotation range is supposed to be about 50 degrees.
There are some pics in the "Technical Training Guide" and I don't see this at 90 degrees in the fully assembled pics, only in the "wastegate system" pic. I'm looking and reading on pages 26, 27, 57, 81, 82, 83.
They talk about "Lever arm kinematics" on page 26, but incredibly they don't show a dimension drawing of the parts in the desired positions at the extremes of travel.
Old Oct 25, 2015 | 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

then please let me know how clocking it differently would change anything when the actuator is positioned at a fixed angle???? Without changing the mounting plate there is no way in hell the actuator will sit at a different angle..
clocking is done at the turbine housing . so there are infinite angles to be achieved. its not rocket science. 100% arm holding is available when the flapper arm and waste gate rod are at 90 degrees. but that 90 degrees is only available in exactly one spot for the turbine housing. the poster said the housing cant be at the 90 degree spot because the wastegate actuator can would be hitting block in that position. so the housing had to be clocked away from the ideal 90 degree angle.
Old Oct 25, 2015 | 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

clocking is done at the turbine housing . so there are infinite angles to be achieved. its not rocket science. 100% arm holding is available when the flapper arm and waste gate rod are at 90 degrees. but that 90 degrees is only available in exactly one spot for the turbine housing. the poster said the housing cant be at the 90 degree spot because the wastegate actuator can would be hitting block in that position. so the housing had to be clocked away from the ideal 90 degree angle.
I am perfectly aware how it is clocked... and I will repeat.. the problem is in the mounting plate that allows only one angle at which the actuator will sit relative to the flapper...
On the plate I got with my efr the angle is wrong IMHO + it positions the actuator in such a way that it interferes with the block using the manifold I designed. To solve this I will make another mounting plate + use a longer actuator..

Just for the sake of argument here is the turbo clocked "right".... and you can clearly see how the supplied mounting plate doesnt work..

Name:  turbo%20clocked.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  203.3 KB
Old Oct 25, 2015 | 11:09 AM
EvoM Guru

As 94AWD suggested, it is interesting to contemplate the optimal angle the WGA rod makes with the flapper lever arm. Greatest leverage is achieved at a 90 degree angle, so the question is what should be the spread of angles as the flapper moves through its travel. If the angle is 90 deg in the closed position, then as the valve opens, the WGA will have lower and lower leverage. Best overall boost control might be achieved for having the rod at 90 deg when the flapper is at 50% of its travel. Not sure if such a position for the WGA is possible though.

Are you planning to run a Turbosmart WGA? They are supposed to be needed for highest boost holding capacity. And I believe they now have a model that can pressurize both sides of the diaphram to allow for a wider range of boost control.
Old Oct 25, 2015 | 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
Are you planning to run a Turbosmart WGA? They are supposed to be needed for highest boost holding capacity. And I believe they now have a model that can pressurize both sides of the diaphram to allow for a wider range of boost control.
Yes the plan is to run the longest twin port turbosmart actuator. I am not sure yet if I will run it in twin port config (I am worried that the opposing port will leak trough the shaft) so I might start with a stiff spring. I am no fan of large differences between base and max boost..

Originally Posted by mrfred
As 94AWD suggested, it is interesting to contemplate the optimal angle the WGA rod makes with the flapper lever arm. Greatest leverage is achieved at a 90 degree angle, so the question is what should be the spread of angles as the flapper moves through its travel. If the angle is 90 deg in the closed position, then as the valve opens, the WGA will have lower and lower leverage. Best overall boost control might be achieved for having the rod at 90 deg when the flapper is at 50% of its travel. Not sure if such a position for the WGA is possible though.
I think that max force on the flapper, from the exhaust side, is actually when the flapper is closed. So, my logic is that I want max mechanical advantage when it is closed, meaning the actuator should be at 90 deg to the flapper. Current angles on the EFR that I bough are opposite both theories... Considering that everyone seems to have boost control problems on IWG EFR's maybe there is something in it..

Anyway, we will know when it runs, shaft speed and backpressure will tell..
Old Oct 25, 2015 | 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

I would just put current plate in a vise and bent it to correct angle. but looking at my efr turbo here it looks like you have the incorrect bracket mine is nearly parallel to comp cover. also if you want better holding power on the arm the flapper arm should be made longer. they suck at holding steady boost at high back pressures. I would suggest 10-15% longer than stock.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Oct 25, 2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2015 | 12:07 AM
Evolved Member

exactly, we have different mounting plates... why BW decided to change that no one knows..
Old Oct 26, 2015 | 07:46 AM
EvoM Guru

What turbine housing is that?? Looks like a very rough casting.
Old Oct 26, 2015 | 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Benja
Tuned one of the new FullRace 7163 low mount IWG kits earlier in the week.
Very impressed with spool and transient!

Setup was:
Stock block/stock cams Evo 9,
Magnus V5 plenum,
Boomba 70mm t/b,
HKS cooler
STM 3inch SD intake with bellmouth filter.
98RON fuel (~92MON)

Car still an ongoing operation atm as there are boost control issues, however on the street, starting at 2500rpm, I am seeing gate pressure (~14psi) by ~3300rpm in 3rd.
Hi Benja, do you have more results updated for us pesky forum members

Quick Reply: New BW EFR Turbo Thread