Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New BW EFR Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2015 | 08:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by blknblubkrdude
I am getting a Full-Race EFR kit before summer. Is it worth waiting for the aluminum housing to come out, or will that be in 2019? I of course cannot get ahold of BW directly.
For general purpose use, you'll likely see zero real-world benefit. No reason to wait.

Speaking of new BW features, are those quick spool valve housings they showed at last year's SEMA available yet?
Old Nov 14, 2015 | 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

I am looking to save the 5-6lbs from hanging off the front of the engine, and the visual aspect (lack of rust) with it being a top mount.

On Monday I will get ahold of them.
Old Nov 14, 2015 | 10:46 AM
EvoM Guru

You could always ceramic coat the iron housing. Would have to have the turbo disassemble though..
Old Nov 14, 2015 | 12:17 PM
Evolved Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Construct
Speaking of new BW features, are those quick spool valve housings they showed at last year's SEMA available yet?
Nope, and they didnt have anything for the quick spool at this years sema display

Last edited by chetrickerman; Nov 14, 2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2015 | 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Boost Resource EFR Bolt-on Turbo Mitsubishi EVO X

just found this company making bolt on exhaust housings for the evo x platform. maybe they will work well. maybe they will follow with 8/9 version.
Old Nov 14, 2015 | 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

I am getting a Full-Race EFR kit before summer. Is it worth waiting for the aluminum housing to come out, or will that be in 2019? I of course cannot get ahold of BW directly.
Should be out in late 2016. Borg has been really good on their promised deadlines lately.
Old Nov 14, 2015 | 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RWD4G63
Should be out in late 2016.
Is that info from Asheville technical assistance - or who?
Old Nov 15, 2015 | 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Interesting for the Evo X guys. Not sure on the quality, never heard of this company before..
We currently don't sell any earlier generation EVO products but might consider it with enough expressed interest.

Basically we are manufacturing our own 347 stainless steel investment cast turbine housing that will allow BorgWarner Super-Cores to bolt up to the stock location.

We are a small business but are doing big things in a small place.

Originally Posted by mrfred
So far it looks like all they've done is CAD it up and make a plastic print. Or I suppose that housing could be coated with a white ceramic.
Yes, what you see is our 3D printed prototype. We are currently waiting on the turbine housings to return from the foundry. It's a 90 day process between tooling, producing/machining samples, validation of samples, casting/surfacing/machining production pieces, etc. We will test both the 70mm and 74mm versions with independent 3rd parties and data will be released soon after.
Old Nov 15, 2015 | 10:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Boost Resource
We currently don't sell any earlier generation EVO products but might consider it with enough expressed interest.

Basically we are manufacturing our own 347 stainless steel investment cast turbine housing that will allow BorgWarner Super-Cores to bolt up to the stock location.

We are a small business but are doing big things in a small place.

Yes, what you see is our 3D printed prototype. We are currently waiting on the turbine housings to return from the foundry. It's a 90 day process between tooling, producing/machining samples, validation of samples, casting/surfacing/machining production pieces, etc. We will test both the 70mm and 74mm versions with independent 3rd parties and data will be released soon after.
Thanks for jumping into the thread. A 347 SS twin scroll housing is pretty darn cool. In concept, I would love to see it for the 4G63 Evo if it could be implemented in an ideal configuration, but the problem is the somewhat torturous exhaust flow path needed to make a standard rotation turbo fit with the stock exhaust manifold. And even with that, a custom LICP would also be needed, so I'm not sure there is value.

What I would love to see is more A/R options for standard flange configurations for some of the EFR turbos. In particular, I'd like to see a T4 TS 0.9-0.95 A/R for the 7163. Or even more cool would be the same A/R but with the Garret TS V-band flange. Either of course have universal value.
Old Nov 16, 2015 | 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
You could always ceramic coat the iron housing. Would have to have the turbo disassemble though..
Fullrace did this for me, custom special order. Coated center section

the aluminum housing weighs less.. steel is more durable. I choose steel, unless is really racecar build
Old Nov 19, 2015 | 01:29 PM
Account Disabled

here is what we cooked up in twin scroll for the EVO X guys (sorry evo 8/9 guys nothing in the works yet for a TS kit for you sadly)...

we are in the middle of back to back testing against the 7163 open scroll Vband IWG kit we've been building a TON of- 12 on order right now- and 3 of the Twinscroll kits already on order- without even putting results up yet... phew...
Old Nov 20, 2015 | 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

No love for the 8/9.
Old Nov 22, 2015 | 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Talonboost
Is that info from Asheville technical assistance - or who?
This is from talking to the guys in the BW booth at PRI last year. I should be there again this year so I'll try and get some more info.
Old Nov 23, 2015 | 03:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RWD4G63
This is from talking to the guys in the BW booth at PRI last year. I should be there again this year so I'll try and get some more info.
Ok, thanks!
Old Nov 23, 2015 | 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boost Resource
How much interest would it take to make a similar kit for the Evo 8/9? Maybe do a group buy?

Quick Reply: New BW EFR Turbo Thread