Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New BW EFR Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2016 | 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

Is there space to use the 1/8 NPT port on the side of the head? It's right next to the original oil feed port and accepts a 1/8 NPT to -4 AN fitting.
Old Apr 11, 2016 | 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dave W.
Is there space to use the 1/8 NPT port on the side of the head? It's right next to the original oil feed port and accepts a 1/8 NPT to -4 AN fitting.
I never noticed that until you mentioned it! I assume it is BSPT as well, although a NPT will thread in.

Since I have to order new fittings I may as well just go from the filter housing for a little more reliable source.
Old Apr 12, 2016 | 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

DrivenFab uses a -6an oil feed adapter on the Evo X kits so ask them for one.
Old Apr 18, 2016 | 11:15 AM

one for the tuners on here, theory says twin scroll turbo's can benefit from/accept more cam overlap, what's your experience in tuning with ts vs ss?
Old Apr 18, 2016 | 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

I know this is an EFR thread, but does anyone have experience with a BW SX-E 369? It's basically a 366 hotside with a billet wheel 69mm inducer.
Old Apr 18, 2016 | 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
I was thinking the same exact thing.

This also seems to be an issue with the 80 sized-turbine...there have been a few people who have those let go.
I think this is the 80mm turbine wheel in the EFR turbos, but not the 80mm turbine in the SXE series. The SXE series is traditional inconel material, unlike the EFR wheel. EFR is light, but obviously weaker.
Old Apr 18, 2016 | 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Klaiceps
Just throwing this out there but do you think there might be other factors that contributed to its failure? There are a lot of time attack cars using these same turbos with great results. I feel bad for your customer and shame on BW for taking so long to acknowledge warranty issues.
Yeah, it's the material. "Gamma-Ti" is certainly lightweight, but it isn't strong enough to be over spun.

The Borg SXE 9180 turbine wheels are made of inconel, not "gamma-Ti" and therefore will not suffer the same fate as these EFR units.

WATCH THIS VIDEO OF Forced Performance displaying the strength difference between the two materials.

Facebook Post
Old Apr 20, 2016 | 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by way2qik
Yeah, it's the material. "Gamma-Ti" is certainly lightweight, but it isn't strong enough to be over spun.

The Borg SXE 9180 turbine wheels are made of inconel, not "gamma-Ti" and therefore will not suffer the same fate as these EFR units.

WATCH THIS VIDEO OF Forced Performance displaying the strength difference between the two materials.
Meh... that video isn't really a proper representation. It's a room temperature impact test which basically is showing the ductility of the materials at room temp. Exactly how often does a turbine wheel have something like an exhaust valve shot at it at room temperature? I'd venture a guess of never.

Fact is TiAl has a higher yield strength than Inco713:

It is also a fact that TiAl has much less ductility than Inco and is much more susceptible to impact damage as shown by the FP video.

The issue with TiAl is that it is notoriously difficult to cast and manufacture. As such, you can end up with strength reducing things like porosity and surface imperfections. So, it's my guess with the larger 80mm turbine wheel, they are just having issues getting it to cast properly, probably ending up with pockets of porosity in the middle of the wheel which weaken it significantly (the thicker something is, the harder it is to cast it without imperfections).
Old Apr 20, 2016 | 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by x622
To be honest, the EFR's make the worst power per mm but do have great transient response, that's about it.
Not quite sure why people care what the power per mm is - the response vs power is the important part, right?
Old Apr 20, 2016 | 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MrLith
Not quite sure why people care what the power per mm is - the response vs power is the important part, right?
I agree. The only reason the size matters is because it effects the spool, response, and flow. In the end we are only looking at wheel size to get an idea what to expect about these things.
Old Apr 20, 2016 | 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Yep - but it's just a loose relationship, the wheel designs, trims and materials all come into it. At the end of the day a 6466 makes more power than an EFR9180 but is also laggier, so the 64mm being better power per mm is a total red herring if you're looking more for response than power.
Old Apr 20, 2016 | 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrLith
Yep - but it's just a loose relationship, the wheel designs, trims and materials all come into it. At the end of the day a 6466 makes more power than an EFR9180 but is also laggier, so the 64mm being better power per mm is a total red herring if you're looking more for response than power.
On the flipside, if the person is most interested in peak power (drag racing, standing mile, land speed, etc), then it is a relevant metric. I do not think it's coincidence the EFR turbos are sized with larger diameter turbine wheels compared to their Garrett equivalents (7163 vs GTX3071, 8374 vs GTX3582)
Old Apr 21, 2016 | 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2winscroll
I know this is an EFR thread, but does anyone have experience with a BW SX-E 369? It's basically a 366 hotside with a billet wheel 69mm inducer.
Actually, the turbine has been redesigned as well. Both spool and flow have been improved over the old 80mm wheels. The compressor section flows 105lb/min. There is also a 71mm version.

There is a 69mm SXE on a forward facing manifold on an Evo at Whalen's Speed right now. I believe it's waiting on the customer to be finished.
Old Apr 22, 2016 | 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RWD4G63
Actually, the turbine has been redesigned as well. Both spool and flow have been improved over the old 80mm wheels. The compressor section flows 105lb/min. There is also a 71mm version.

There is a 69mm SXE on a forward facing manifold on an Evo at Whalen's Speed right now. I believe it's waiting on the customer to be finished.
71mm compressor wheel? Not in the 300 series chassis there isn't. The 69mm compressor in the 369SXE is the largest in that chassis.

To get a bigger compressor you must step into the S400 sized turbos.
Old Apr 23, 2016 | 10:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by way2qik
71mm compressor wheel? Not in the 300 series chassis there isn't. The 69mm compressor in the 369SXE is the largest in that chassis.

To get a bigger compressor you must step into the S400 sized turbos.
Yes, yes there is. I have held it in my hands. Just because you haven't heard of it yet doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I sell BorgWarners all the time.

Oh, would you look at this:

http://whalenspeed.com/collections/borgwarner-airwerks-turbochargers/products/borgwarner-s300sx-e-71mm-super-core

Quick Reply: New BW EFR Turbo Thread