Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New BW EFR Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2016 | 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Drsous
Looking forward to seeing your results! Are you getting the kit from full race or cbrd?
The manifold is from Full-Race, and the downpipe and charge piping will be from Origin Fabrication
Old May 18, 2016 | 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by awhit17
The manifold is from Full-Race, and the downpipe and charge piping will be from Origin Fabrication
What is that kit running you if you don't mind me asking. Cbrd wants 5395 for the full kit and turbo. If you don't feel comfortable mentioning price here, you can pm me
Old May 26, 2016 | 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Drsous
Sorry I'm late to the party. Like 265 pages late. Has anyone on here ran the 7163 turbo yet? If so how is the transient response and how early does this turbo spool? Also wondering if it would be possible to keep the a.c. in car with this turbo
fullrace wrote this on the instagram page, i think is true

Old May 26, 2016 | 10:46 PM

More results.... FINALLY !!!

Old May 27, 2016 | 03:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Stock Spool? Is 4000rpm stock spool?

This is my 2.3 litre Mivec with STOCK TURBO
Full boost at around 3000rpm

Sure it's not making 500/500 - but the spool looks much better?

Graph is stock turbo vs 20G Billet compressor (with stock exhaust wheel)

Old May 27, 2016 | 05:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by oem_turbo

Is this the Single scroll or twin scroll hotside?

Originally Posted by RSMike
Stock Spool? Is 4000rpm stock spool?

This is my 2.3 litre Mivec with STOCK TURBO
Full boost at around 3000rpm

Sure it's not making 500/500 - but the spool looks much better?

Graph is stock turbo vs 20G Billet compressor (with stock exhaust wheel)

I agree.
Old May 27, 2016 | 06:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Yea, that's not even close to stock spool. And my red will just as fast or faster once I build a stroker. Looks like there's no real need to switch.
Old May 27, 2016 | 06:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by oem_turbo

Great to see some results starting to trickle in. Presumably this was E85. I'd like to know which 7163 variant as well. I want to find a reason to upgrade to this turbo, but so far, the powerband is very similar to my BBK-3B, or maybe even not as good. I think my most likely excuse will be that the 7163 will have better transient and offboost response.
Old May 27, 2016 | 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

That's a little disappointing... I had a BBK Full on my old 2.3 and was hitting 32psi by 3400. I'm hoping my tuner can work some magic on my 10.5:1 2.1 7163 setup and have it spooled up earlier than 4000... Stay tuned.
Old May 27, 2016 | 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
Great to see some results starting to trickle in. Presumably this was E85. I'd like to know which 7163 variant as well. I want to find a reason to upgrade to this turbo, but so far, the powerband is very similar to my BBK-3B, or maybe even not as good. I think my most likely excuse will be that the 7163 will have better transient and offboost response.

Based on the Driven Fab 7163 results and also based on what I want to believe I am thinking those pictures are from the v-band single scroll. Lol
Old May 27, 2016 | 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Full Race to my knowledge only makes twin scroll T4 manifold for 7163, or?
Old May 27, 2016 | 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

surprised no one pulled this over here. 2.3 evo 9 on the driven fab open scroll 7163. 593/583 dynojet.

Old May 27, 2016 | 10:59 PM
EvoM Guru

With no turbine speed data. I recall an old thread where RRE made low 600's with a 7670 on a 2.3 and the turbo didn't last long..
Old Jun 1, 2016 | 08:09 PM

So I listed my EFR 9174 for sale. Here's my final thoughts on the EFR units after testing a variety of them

- Power per mm these are the worst turbos on the market. Even worse than a Garrett turbo and Worse than a Turbonetics.

- With that being said, an equivalent Precision or Comp 62mm turbo will make as much power and the same or better spool than a larger 67mm EFR (regardless of turbine selection), a 58mm will make the same as the 62mm EFR and so on. Because of this, you really have to look at what the power generation of what the turbos are capable of vs doing a mm per mm comparison. A Precision 68 or Comp 68 can flow 1000-1100hp, the EFR 9180/74 even with the large hotside will struggle with 900+

- Warranty on these is complete and utter garbage. It doesn't matter if you're a vendor that has to deal with customers who blow up their turbos or a customer who has a turbo that's blown up. My experience has been with Full Race. I've known the guys there for around 6 years now. I'd like to think they take care of me, but I'm not sure if BW support is really just that bad. As I stated previously, the warranty is essentially this, you take off your turbo and they send it in for you and you have no updates or information for around 3 months. The suggested recourse is for you to purchase another turbo and simply sell the other turbo that you get when it's repaired. The problem I have with this, is if I have to purchase another turbo why would I go with a vendor that doesn't have real support?

- The spool on these has been greatly exaggerated, without real data on how operators are loading up the dyno, all of these graphs about them spooling at x or y are worthless. The only truth are graphs on the road where you can see where it truly spools at a particular gear in real world conditions. I can state from all my data logs on the S2000 the boost recovery time is between .5 and .75 seconds from wide open throttle with a shift time on average between .4 and .5 seconds to not destroy the stock transmission. It will be interesting to see what the Precision 6870 G2 can do with the only other change being the addition of a Turbosmart Raceport BOV.

- The vendors can all claim how great they are because Indy cars use them, but the reality of the situation in motorsports is, that vendors get product placement because of connections and deep discounts not because of it necessarily being the best product in the field. There are class restrictions that lock you into a particular size and even then, in the Indy Car example, they're only using one turbo -- the 7163 (essentially equivalent to a 5858) which in reality, does the EFR really spool better? Does it really make more power? Does the ti-al wheel really provide that much better time to torque? If this is true then why are there not not REAL data logs on cars with sequential or other fast shifting transmissions that can show the supposed time to torque (transient response) vs the competitors? Sure on a dyno this is hard to show because you're setting your ramp rate doing a hit and done, but on a road or race track, the data logs will show what they're claiming. Why is there nothing of the sort?

- The other claim I see and hear all the time is how reliable they are because they have 4 oil seals, which is one of the claimed reasons why they spin like garbage with out oil pressure or so it's claimed. The fact of the matter is, even if their claims are true, the warranty process on these turbos makes them an unsavory prospect for both vendors and end users alike. I think the real reason vendors are so willing to sell them is because the wholesale pricing on these is extremely deep versus the MAP or MSRP. If you're a vendor moving these do you really chose a product that you can mark up only 30% or do you go with another product that you can push up much higher?

In summary, buyer beware. I'm excited to see what the axial flow Garrett's will be like when they chose to release them in a motorsports application. If you're not familiar with them, you should google it. Could be pretty huge.
Old Jun 1, 2016 | 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by x622
I'm excited to see what the axial flow Garrett's will be like when they chose to release them in a motorsports application. If you're not familiar with them, you should google it. Could be pretty huge.
They already did. It was on the 2015 Porsche 919 which won Le Mans and the WEC championship.

Quick Reply: New BW EFR Turbo Thread