Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New BW EFR Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2016 | 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by awhit17
It interferes with where the lower charge piping would exit the compressor housing.

I think you could get it to fit if you had a hard 90* elbow welded onto the exit instead of the Wiggins outlet I have, but it would still be darn close with a thicker rad. My Koyo is their newer "V" core which is 50mm.

My 12" FAL puller was hitting its shroud against the compressor housing of the 7163, but I think if you used a SPAL puller without the bulky shroud it would fit. No chance a factory fan will fit.

You are correct, an Evo 6 rad is needed, but my issue was with the thickness of the rad.

I'm going to have Origin make me a 1" (25mm) rad which will alleviate the issues with both the compressor outlet and fan shroud.
Not that I'd be able to afford it but is origin going to offer a kit or would they have the ability to duplicate any of your custom parts you've had made? Just curious in case I ever luck into a large windfall.
Old Jun 22, 2016 | 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by XSivPSI
Not that I'd be able to afford it but is origin going to offer a kit or would they have the ability to duplicate any of your custom parts you've had made? Just curious in case I ever luck into a large windfall.
Yes, the slim radiator for sure they are going to try and make some production units if the interest is there. I personally think that item will be attractive for a lot of people on here as well.

As for the turbo-related parts, if there is interest they can definitely reproduce what I have. I know one other person has already expressed some interest.

You still enjoying the O2 eliminator dp?
Old Jun 24, 2016 | 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

Yes, the slim radiator for sure they are going to try and make some production units if the interest is there. I personally think that item will be attractive for a lot of people on here as well.

As for the turbo-related parts, if there is interest they can definitely reproduce what I have. I know one other person has already expressed some interest.

You still enjoying the O2 eliminator dp?
Cool.

Yea... except for a blown headgasket as of 2 weeks ago.

I do wish it was made to account for the angle of the turbine housing exit though. I think that would have prevented it from being sooooo close to the LICP coupler off the j-pipe.
Old Jun 24, 2016 | 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by XSivPSI
Cool.

Yea... except for a blown headgasket as of 2 weeks ago.

I do wish it was made to account for the angle of the turbine housing exit though. I think that would have prevented it from being sooooo close to the LICP coupler off the j-pipe.
I can't remember exactly how it installed, but I think it ended up being that way because we tried to make the recirc O2 section as long as possible...I think. Which is why I ended up having him make me a LICP to match, since the one that came with my car never fit right.

Either way, sorry to hear about the hg man
Old Jun 28, 2016 | 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone know what the deal is with getting a EFR7163
I ordered a kit from CBRD 6 months ago and still don't have it
said they are still waiting on turbo's. 6 months seems alittle long
For a back order
Old Jun 28, 2016 | 05:38 PM
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by Brianawd
For a back order
I ordered mine from Defined Performance and it came to me 3 days later. I could have just got lucky and got the last one or something, but who knows.
Old Jun 29, 2016 | 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Brianawd
For a back order
Full-Race had 7163s in stock when I ordered mine at the very beginning of the year. Not sure about now though.
Old Jun 30, 2016 | 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Full-Race had 7163s in stock when I ordered mine at the very beginning of the year. Not sure about now though.
APR bought a few hundred 7163's... so we're probably part of the problem. I know were waiting on a few turbos.
Old Jun 30, 2016 | 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Just wanted to share that my Origin slim radiator came out well, a rad like this helps a TON to fit the hotside pipe and a fan. Now onto the rest of the charge piping and the downpipe

Untitled by Alex Whitacre, on Flickr

Old Jun 30, 2016 | 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Just wanted to share that my Origin slim radiator came out well, a rad like this helps a TON to fit the hotside pipe and a fan. Now onto the rest of the charge piping and the downpipe
Gorgeous wow... is the mani Swaintech coated?

If Origin manufactures more of these radiators I would buy one.
Old Jul 1, 2016 | 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

How are the top radiator stays designed? Looks like there are no provisions.
Old Jul 1, 2016 | 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by doncarbone
Gorgeous wow... is the mani Swaintech coated?

If Origin manufactures more of these radiators I would buy one.
Yes, the manifold is Swaintech.

They will definitely make more if you want one - I'll probably make a separate thread in a few weeks to gauge interest to see if they can do a batch soon. You can shoot me a PM if you're crazy interested right now too and I can direct you to the right people.

Originally Posted by SWOLN
How are the top radiator stays designed? Looks like there are no provisions.
We're did some side brackets for mine, but if Origin makes more they will likely use factory mounting provisions.

Last edited by awhit17; Jul 1, 2016 at 07:15 AM.
Old Jul 1, 2016 | 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

would you risk breaking the mounting tab from fatigue if you hard mount it like that?
Old Jul 1, 2016 | 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

I have no legitimate data to back it up, but I doubt it given the rad is not that heavy, the welds are stout and I don't see the rad really being stressed much.

We are trying this on my car only because it cleans up the top of the rad and generally looks nice.
Old Jul 1, 2016 | 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

I have no legitimate data to back it up, but I doubt it given the rad is not that heavy, the welds are stout and I don't see the rad really being stressed much.

We are trying this on my car only because it cleans up the top of the rad and generally looks nice.
I would strongly suggest incorporating rubber mounting isolators of some sort. Radiators are relatively delicate and susceptible to vibrations. Even if the Rad doesn't fail that tab looks pretty thin and will likely break off at the bend I'd think. Don't forget about the additional weight and heat from coolant flowing through it. But assuming this won't see many miles it may not matter but if you drive it a lot I think it would fail within a few years.

Last edited by XSivPSI; Jul 1, 2016 at 08:48 AM.

Quick Reply: New BW EFR Turbo Thread